Guys,

Has anyone ever experienced fixing a block that has one bad cylinder, by just having that cylinder sleeved and replacing that cylinders piston and reassembling the motor as is without rebuilding the rest of the motor?

My car car appears to have 48,000 miles on it and the rest of the cylinders had good compression.

I had the engine taken apart for a head gasket issue, and while apart the following was done:

Replacing defective inner and outer heat exchanger tubes in the intake manifold 

Machining the heads

Parts including the head gasket set, tune up parts, etc

Heat riser between exhaust manifold and head pipe

Replace rusted and worn exhaust manifold studs 

Cylinder head bolts replaced

All was looking good until they identified the crack in the block in the one cylinder and that is how I am at this point.  

I'm already into this car quite a bit of cash as I had a very reputable shop handling the restoration.  I don't want to ignore the rest of the block but if others have had just one cylinder done and there is good feedback here on moving forward as such, rather than having the whole block taken care, thats what I'm inclined to do. 

Loved to hear everyone thoughts, 

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To do the work on the cylinder, I would imagine that the engine would have to come out, and the block tore down to a bare block. I would just go with a new/used block. Not to sure on the cost of sleeving a cylinder, but if your into just one cylinder, spend the extra cash, and get a fresh motor. You'll only kick yourself later, if you don't.

If the cylinder cant be sleeved, I do have a 64 429 block for sale. 150.00 takes it home.

David, you indicated your engine "appeared" to be 48,000 miles. Instead of taking a chance I would inspect wear on other cylinders.  If 48K miles you should be very close to stock specs and might consider trying to save the block. At 148K you will see some discernible wear and will probably want to at least hone the other cylinders and put new rings in (as I did with my rebuild) or if wear is out of tolerance, bore and install new pistons and rings.  Or, as Russ indicated find a better donor engine block.

Buy a block.    Engines don't just crack,Something made it crack, maybe extreme overheating.    So that's only the one crack they see.    I was a diesel mechanic for awhile, and sleeves ca

me lose, even when they came that way from the factory.  it will be cheaper to get machine work on a reasonable block anyway without sleeving, and it will last longer.   But it's only an opinion.

I've got a decent 429 block from a 64 CDV stripped and ready to go if interested, located in SW Colorado

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Cadillac King - UNFAIR, Unprofessional

Started by Edward in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 7 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Hi Good America Today I’ll like to bring awareness, and hope to help prevent future headaches. 20years and they still got my order wrong !At Cadillac King i spent over 1400$ on parts. I specifically…Continue

Rear main Follow up replacement and repair,,

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser 18 minutes ago. 64 Replies

Well, got it all together,, Jason, i was looking in the wrong chapter in the manual on the starter,, got that figured out.  everything hooked back upGot it put back together, started up, and oil…Continue

Movie Star Cars.

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 8 hours ago. 19 Replies

We have the Village Roadshow film studios about an 1.5 hour drive away.They've put out a call for cars to appear in a movie about Elvis. :-)So, I nominated our 64 Fleetwood as a potential "Movie Star…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 12 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service