Late in the evenings, I wonder about things I will probably never do as I am not that crazy. However, I know someone out there has tried it or wanted it bad enough they have done it. 

My 64 Fltwd did not leave the factory with cruise control, as much as I wish it would have. But I am wondering what it would take to ADD the factory cruise control nearly 60 years later? Are there a/m units that would work better? Have you tried it?

Let me know if this is even something that can be done!

-Logan

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adding the original cruise units is not that hard... if you can find the parts.  As a parts seller I stay out of complete systems and have a growing back log of customers looking for it on my Wait List. 

Below is a shop manual illustration of the key components. One of the cool things that makes installation not that bad, is there are 3 dimples on the left inner fender for where to drill your holes for the Power Unit mounting brackets. Look along the edge of that inner fender and you will see those dimples. While I have a few parts of the system including the main power unit, for me the hardest part to keep on hand is the dash selector control, that accelerator linkage from power unit to dashpot on firewall, and that "keyed" speedometer cable from transmission to power unit.  I believe I have everything else but you need all parts to make the factory setup work.

As far as aftermarket setups, I don't have a clue.

Jason, 

thanks for the explanation! It doesn’t seem as involved I guess as I thought it would be. 

Perhaps something to think about a little more realistically. 

-Logan

I was evaluating the same thing a while back as I was really missing cruise control on our long treks. While looking at different aftermarket cruise controls, I ran across a Rostra CC distributor at a local shop. The owner had a 63 Caddy previously and had installed one on it. Figured if he had already installed one on a Caddy, he wouldn't have to invent the wheel. He located the control switch in the ash tray because I didn't want to mess with the blinker arm or drill on the dash. Close the ash tray and its hidden out of sight. So far it works well and I'm happy with it. Makes a long cruise even more enjoyable. 

Thanks for the response! Glad to see there is something out there that works 

-Logan

I added a rostra unit to my 64 as it did not come with a factory cruise control. One of my favorite things I've done to my car after restoring my climate control system and adding fuel injection. 

The one thing I suggest is that the firewall dashpot that prevents the throttle from slamming into it be in excellent working order. You can find them new online and they come in all shapes and sizes. Whenever you touch the brakes the throttle releases instantly causing the carburetor springs to slam the throttle to the firewall. The dashpot acts as a shock absorber that slows the throttle arm down a bit before it hits the firewall. 

You can see the unit located on the drivers side fender well 

That’s a good tip! Thank you! Glad to see two people have used the rostra unit and have been pleased! 

I think a restoration of my Climate Control will be before the cruise. But I am glad to know cruise can be added after the fact! 

-Logan 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service