I had bought an aftermarket water pump and the opening at the top where the crossover pipe fits in is slightly off from where the original was. When I set the crossover pipe in place, it was wobbly loose against the heads. I had to double gasket where the crossover meets the heads to alleviate that issue.  A rubber o-ring is used to seal the crossover to the water pump. This was a poor design from the get go. I put sealer around the front of it, but found a leak on the back side. Can't get my finger back there to apply any. I ended up just squeezing some to the back side and used a screwdriver the best I could to smear it around. Held tight for about 200 miles and now it has a fine spray of a leak on the backside. I need to get this resolved before going on a long trip. Any suggestions from anyone else that had the same issue? I figure i need to spray a lot of  carb cleaner to clean the surface the best I can and add more sealant. Just getting to it is definitely going to be challenging. 63 Sedan DeVille.

Views: 365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes Andy
I use two of the same O rings
The permatex i use is a brown color ( not blue silicone ) it is a very old school product and dries very fast
Work clean as it is difficult to clean once dry
No wating over night is required
You must wait 6 hours with blue silicone or a chance it will leak
When all else fails -read the directions
I hate to wait !!

Enjoy

Enjoy

Geez Tony, while that brown stuff is good, real good in fact, but stuff me sideways, its messy shit.

It can get messy easily but it wont leak
Vynal gloves should do the trick
Work neatly with it
Helps if you know that

Emjoy
More people doing a water pump replacement have some issue with the O rings than not
Especially the first time ( if not one of our community who reads this stuff )
The design is just not the best there could be
A water sealer is required in this location as taking it apart to redo it because it leaks is the pitts and very time consuming

Enjoy
A good idea to use two gaskets at -the termistate housing - as the original stock gaskets were twice as thick as what is available today

Enjoy

Thanks everyone! Using two rubber 0-rings is what I needed to know. I kept the same aftermarket waterpump and just doubled up the gaskets at the heads like before to eliminate the wobble since the waterpump hole where the crossover manifold meets was slightly offset than the stock waterpump. I also used The Right Stuff by Permatex as my sealant. It's black in color. I used it on my gaskets as well. My mechanic says it takes about 10 minutes for it to set up. I gave it 3 hrs before topping off the radiator and starting it up. Took it out for a for a spin (about 30 miles) that night with no issues.

Job well done.  Happy motoring for many years now.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Thermostat

Started by Vito64Deville in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 6 hours ago. 18 Replies

For a 64 min A/C Deville - what is the correct temp thermostat. I'm going to replace mine and notice there are several temps offered.

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 10 hours ago. 175 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 12 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Ordering Polyurethane Replacement Trailing Arm Bushings

Started by Dan McNarry in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

There seems to be growing interest in the poly bushings. In order for me to keep track of who wants bushings, please send me a message along with or in lieu of a reply to either this thread or the…Continue

Blog Posts

How to sensibly deal with the Corona Virus

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on March 14, 2020 at 5:02pm 6 Comments

https://theamericanscholar.org/covid-19-a-primer/

I found this very helpful, written by a knowledgeable authority in public health. 

Remember, Viruses are not spread by Cadillacs so get out and drive!

Safe & Healthy travels. 

Jeff Kinzler

1963 Eldorado convertible boot

Posted by Les Eastling on February 27, 2020 at 10:33am 1 Comment

I need a used convertible boot for a 63 Cadillac convertible - condition or color is not an issue since it will be used as a pattern for making a new one. One from either a 62 series convertible or an Eldorado would work. I know I am searching for hen's teeth here... but you never know unless you ask!

Looking for 63 Convertible / Coupe rear side trim

Posted by Gene McIlroy on January 24, 2020 at 12:18pm 0 Comments

Want to find a good straight dent free rear side trim for my 1963 Convertible.  I have both sides but they do not match.  Wanting to get them to match.  I am attaching a photo of the two trim sided that I have really wanting the squared off trim if I can get it.  Let's see what you have,…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service