I had bought an aftermarket water pump and the opening at the top where the crossover pipe fits in is slightly off from where the original was. When I set the crossover pipe in place, it was wobbly loose against the heads. I had to double gasket where the crossover meets the heads to alleviate that issue. A rubber o-ring is used to seal the crossover to the water pump. This was a poor design from the get go. I put sealer around the front of it, but found a leak on the back side. Can't get my finger back there to apply any. I ended up just squeezing some to the back side and used a screwdriver the best I could to smear it around. Held tight for about 200 miles and now it has a fine spray of a leak on the backside. I need to get this resolved before going on a long trip. Any suggestions from anyone else that had the same issue? I figure i need to spray a lot of carb cleaner to clean the surface the best I can and add more sealant. Just getting to it is definitely going to be challenging. 63 Sedan DeVille.
Geez Tony, while that brown stuff is good, real good in fact, but stuff me sideways, its messy shit.
Thanks everyone! Using two rubber 0-rings is what I needed to know. I kept the same aftermarket waterpump and just doubled up the gaskets at the heads like before to eliminate the wobble since the waterpump hole where the crossover manifold meets was slightly offset than the stock waterpump. I also used The Right Stuff by Permatex as my sealant. It's black in color. I used it on my gaskets as well. My mechanic says it takes about 10 minutes for it to set up. I gave it 3 hrs before topping off the radiator and starting it up. Took it out for a for a spin (about 30 miles) that night with no issues.
Job well done. Happy motoring for many years now.