I think I might have a broken rear spring. 

Took the car for quick test drive today and sent little bump I hit, I could hear a thud like it was bottoming out. Come to see when I got home, the driver side rear is squatting really bad.  I forgot to take a pic but a good 2 inches. Did I break a spring? I can't see anything from underneath.

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have broken the  ball joint over the rear differential, and this allows the rear axle to move side to side. Use extreme caution in driving, Better yet, have the car towed to a competent shop.  I have seen an instance of the ball joint breaking, allowing the differential to move side to side, and throwing the fender skirts off. and causing other damage.

OK wow. I got the car home fine. The car did sit for about 10 months thought maybe things were just bound up. I'll check after work today on the that ball joint.

Can it be changed out myself? Where's a good place to buy one?

The rear end ball joint ( spherical joint ) is at the center rear of the rear axel housing when you look up and stabilizes the rear axel 

The coil springs are on both sides of the car by the rear axel and   are very close to the exterior body panels 

Examine all to see what may have  changed or broken 

Enjoy 

OK thanks

Just went out to the car. And its sitting level now. No sag in the left side.  I crawled underneath  and the pivoting ball joint seems OK the spring aren't broke that I can see.

You guys have suggestions on cause it to sag and then free up again? Any input greatly appreciated 

this is a very rare situation you have cooking up.  you won't get much progress online, you'll just end up throwing parts at it.    at least get down there and take pics of different angles and post them, maybe someone will see something.   
If nothing is broken in the suspension and nothing is out of place, then it's probably your shocks.   They are (more or less) hydraulic cylinders, so if a valve in one is stuck from sitting for years it can 'freeze' in the extended or rebound position.  Very unlikely, so look first at every other possibility and rule out everything else.

Couldn't  get any real good photos  ill try again later.  I see that the exhaust clamp was hitting the shock not a lot. So either the clamp got hung up on the shock. Or like Mark said it has been sitting  awhile and just got hung up from sitting.. when the weather drys off here ill take it for a spin and see what gives.  Thank you all. 

Mark 

My first thought was a damaged ( not working correctly  )  shock before reading your post just because the car came back up and came up to the correct height removing the sagging corner 

The spring is wants to push that shock  back up where it belongs —if it can 

Enjoy 

If the car is new to you invest in a Service Manual for your year as it is extremely useful tool to  totally understand. the car and the maintenance it requires 

Our year SM are better than most for most other cars —a  must have 

Enjoy 

Tyler 

You can push  down —and pull up —-the back  of the car from the bumper( or body )  in a given corner to activate the shock absorbers motion which may give you a feel for how it is working or is not working 

When  you push down  on the car or bumper a good shock will want to rise and then settle at the correct height 

I would think it would be time for a new set of shocks all around if car was sitting a good while but you still want to trouble shoot you sagging issue yesterday 

Enjoy 

Tony,

Did what you said on each corner at the tail light bezel and it seems to respond pretty quick. The shocks were done when I bought the car about 6 years ago and never really had any miles  put on it since I'm still restoring it. 

Looks like you shocks are moving freely from that test

Take it for a spin when and if you can and see how it drives and sits after that ride 

Drive the car very close to home and see how all feels and looks 

If something was bonding as Mark suggests ( rusted something ) it may have freed itself a bit but that stands to be seen 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

63 coupedebille fuel pump issues

Started by Daniel Grande in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 1 hour ago. 20 Replies

I have a 63 cadillac and I took it to a mechanic for a motor tune up long story short the fuel pump gave out and hes tried twice to order it and he says it didnt fit the original pump is smaller on…Continue

A Before & After Example

Started by Jason Edge in Restoration Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Since I started cadmium plating the many fasteners and other items from the 55 and counting parts cars I have bought in (1200 lbs worth and counting), I have to say it has really taken the…Continue

Oil leaking out of oil cap breather

Started by mark zimmerman in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by mark zimmerman yesterday. 12 Replies

Hi i would like some ideas on this i replaced oil cap breather and pcv valve and still oil  coming out of breather at normal speeds down the road.This has been going on for quiet awhile from the…Continue

Update on fuel pump

Started by Daniel Grande in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by William R Conte yesterday. 1 Reply

I'm still looking thru land and sea for this fuel pump anyone out there know what size engine I have here are some pics of the stamps on the block I found to make sure my engine is a 390 because the…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service