It appears the only way to replace the Cornering Lights bulbs is to remove the entire bulb housing (in front of the front wheel wells).  Is this correct?  Or is there a better way?

Mike Vogler

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice and bright! Congrats on the repair.

Looking good and bright 

14 screws never got so much attention 

Enjoy 

Gentlemen,

Because I just can't bear to say good bye to this post, and rather than catching my car on fire, I'll continue the thread!  My passengers side bulb is not illuminating.

I have current to the bulb socket, (my 12v tester shows current).  My bulb is good (I tested that too with a direct connection to the car's 12v battery.)

I tried the foil square thing that Tony recommended but was unsuccessful (foil kept falling). 

So, I decided to I solder a small drop of solder on the pos dot on the bottom of the bulb to fill any gap. Although I'm sure now there is pos contact with the spring tab now, the bulb still is not going on.

So...that leaves a negative contact problem. I tried wrapping the bulb in a small fold of foil.  That didn't work.  I tried sliding a small bit of copper wire down the side of the bulb for contact with the neg on the socket.  That didn't work either.  

I used a pair of pliers and very slightly squeezed the bayonet a little tighter.  No luck.  

I'm thinking of running a small bead of solder down the neg length of the bulb to fill what seems to be a contact gap on the neg side.  Any thoughts?  (Seems like a lot of effort for a bulb!)

Mike

Michael,

I know you said you have 12V at the socket but are you now checking it with the headlights or at least parking lights, I believe, on? That's the only time the cornering lamps operate.

Yes.  Headlights and right blinker are on.

Michael, A couple of things:

1st: Are you sure the cornering light fixture is grounded?  The 5/16" studs, washers and nuts where it bolts to the upper outer bumper ends get corroded and can lose metal to metal contact.  You can do a cornering light fixture to upper bumper end (or any other ground point such as frame or negative battery post for that matter) continuity test to make sure it is grounded.  If there is not ground from that light fixture you will have not light. You can sometimes just tighten the nuts from the underside to makes sure the metal is digging in and touching. You can also back out and use new external tooth or other type lock washer under nut.

2nd: The spring that pushes the center tip of hot wire up to bottom of bulb contact has to be working and the wire needs to be able to slide in and out. I have never found adding metal (i.e. solder, etc), works since with the bayonet base bulbs, when you push in turn and release they move back up a bit as the seat in the bulb base slot. If they do work it will be intermittent. That spring needs to keep constantly pressure pushing the wire tip up against the bulb. What I have done to unfreeze these springs is to disconnect battery and take a needle nose and spray spring and wire back and forth to loosen up the wire as it slides through the back of the bulb base. You can also push from the back side, also. There is a curved metal clamp that is covers the orange hot wire. That clamp has a Phillips screw holding it in place. Remove that screw and you will have better access to the hot feed wire with the spring and tip.

Hope that helps. 

Epilog.  Got it!  Isolated positive, isolated negative, and tested.  As Jason predicted, the problem was the positive spring contact.  A little WD40 and some working with a screwdriver to free up the spring, and we’re back in business with both cornering lights!  Thank you, Jason for all your advice.

Congrats on the final fix!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

TH400 into 63 SDV

Started by Rick Seiden in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 2 hours ago. 2 Replies

After battling with my original trans for several years. Leaks, Shifter getting locked up internally, Torus Seals, More leaks, and finally a professional rebuild that lasted about 3000 trouble free…Continue

Tags: pndlr, prndl, transmission, th400, hydramatic

Timelapse Rebuild of a 1957 Cadillac 365 V-8 Engine

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 9 hours ago. 3 Replies

Saw the link on the CLC forums today and thought I would share to the CLC FB Group. This is a prior generation engine to our 1963-64 390's & 429's but this is a pretty cool time lapse of a…Continue

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 300 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Blog Posts

bright beam flashes

Posted by Kim K Kaiser on January 9, 2022 at 12:55pm 5 Comments

HI again,

I have the 63 cdv, with the flash assister on the dash,  

My hi lo beams flash back and forth intermittently.  sometimes they dont start flashing at all, sometimes they will just start flasihing on and off until I hit the button on the floor to get them to stop.  sometimes they sound someone is down there hitting the floor button but the lights dont respond, you can hear the click but nothing happens, as if I have no control over that floor button. I have turned off…

Continue

Map Light

Posted by RIchard Yasenchack on January 1, 2022 at 8:07pm 7 Comments

I have a 63 Cadillac Series 62 convertible.  Can someone post a picture showing what the map light should look like?

Mine is a meta air vent like grating, which just does not look right for a map light.

Thanks in advance.  Rick

Upgrades for the Coupe de Ville

Posted by Kurt on December 24, 2021 at 6:00pm 4 Comments

At long last I finally have power vent windows! I started collecting the parts 3 years ago. The one thing I could not find until recently is the 6 button driver's switch. Jason finally pulled one in and was more than generous with pricing. Thanks Jason! Installing the vent window motors was the easiest part of the project but many other tasks were spawned by this project.

1. There is a hole in the door panels where the window crank was. I considered putting a hub cap emblem there…
Continue

center bolt size for crankshaft pulley

Posted by Dan Norris on December 6, 2021 at 3:13pm 2 Comments

I need to pull my distributor, and still have the cork in the end of the crankshaft. What is the bolt size needed to thread a bolt in there to be able to turn the motor over with a pull handle and socket to get it to TDC exactly before I pull the distributor out?

Dan

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service