Well finally statred the trip from mt to ms. 2100, 32 car hours, so far so good.  Car is packed!  Car tools, construction tools, clothes,  trunk n back seat.  Good mpg,  keep ears on in event of problems.  Toniggt.  Casper, wy, tomoro, raton nm., dallas next the home friday.  No seal leak,  yea!   A few pictures to follow

Car sittn low

Picasso heard bags loading, wasnt gonna get left behind, my schnauzer

Trunk loaded

Gauges look good after 200 miles, volts not hooked up.

Wyoming scape over the hood

Of course, me, cruisin, 60s on 6 on the radio, chewing a cuban

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It was only 500 13 years ago,   had a restarant.  I use it every day for super fine grind for turkish coffee

Love the picture with mountains in background. It is screaming to go on the cover of a future Chapter newsletter. Have fun on the trip!

Last day,,4.5 hours to go.  Morning observation.

I hv a manuql temp gauge.  No matter how hard i push, wont go over 178   heater is coolish..  last night, 180 185, had to lower heatvsetting time or two.  

My carb is set for 5500 foot altitude.  Im at 300 now.  Couod that efdect, or is thermostat fading out.

Other than that, things seem ok.  Cnt wait to be done!

You [probably need a 190 deg thermostat

I didnt thinknanything  of it at the time, but i had q little leak atvwater control valve yesterday morn.  I simply tightened the  clamp, and it stopped.  Im gettn no heqt at def or heat.  Jist cold air.  Fqn is blowing.  Would that drop of 6 or 7 degrees of engine heqt make the heater/def go that cold?

Keep in mind the thermostat rating is the temperature the thermostat begins to open. The full open temp is about 15 to 20 degrees above the stated temperature.  This is why our cars with a 180 thermostat usually runs about 195 degrees fully heated if everything else is in good order. 

Also, the stated temperature (+ 15) is not a guarantee of where the car will run at temperature-wise... your car may have over heat for many reasons.   With the complete picture of where and how your temp guage is hooked up, or many other variables with your car I would not have a clue why your temp gauge is showing a cooler than normal temperture for a fully heated car. 

Likewise there are many variable that could affect your heat output but 178 degree coolant in the heater core with a fan blowing on high, with the duct and doors open and pointing in to the cabin correctly, is plenty of heat to keep you toasting. 10 degrees of coolant temperature is not going to make that much difference. My first check would be the hot water control vave which is vacuum controlled and lets the hot water into the cabin and heater core in "heat mode". The 1963 hot water control valve was normally closed without vacuum, meaning if you have a busted vacuum line, or has been disconnected you will never get hot air through your heat system. 

If the hot water control valve is operational and just not getting vacuum you can always T-off vacuum from the intake vacuum fitting to provide full time vacuum allowing hot water to enter the cabin and heater core. This would at least give your car heat at leat through the winter time. 
The bottom line is you need to do more detailed diagnosis on the heat system. 

We had info on thermostats at the Stant site but I see that is a now a dead link so I pointed to our Help Page to the NAPA thermostat info page you can see by Clicking Here

Jason.  It was odd.  After i posted above, i stopped at gass station.  Filled up, noticed engine had warmed to aboit 195.  I turned on the heat just to see what would happen.  It blew me out w gauge at running temp of 178.  Just kept it on for 20 minutes or so.  Turned off, waited 10 minutes, turned back on, it was cool again.  Dont know if that provides better info.  Still cold when i got home

Well, i made it!  Yea!!!  My butt is killing me, 36 hoirs in car.

Funny thing,  i got one block from hpuse, car died at stopp light, i ssid to myself, effin figures!  Mannged to get started wo embarrassing myself to push.  It spit an spuutered home.  I checked timing.  It had creepwd up to about 13!!  Would tjat cause a cut out like that?

Anyway,  will give trip details a little later. Just glad to ne out of the sled!!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service