Adjusted timing bck towards advance, ran much smoother.  Only a couple initial pops out of carb.  Replaced carb gasket w felpros, no sign of leak there.

Got about 30 min of runing at 1250 to 1500 rpm.  Oil pressure was good,  32 to 34 initially. Down to bout 28 at shut off.  Engine a little hot at end almost half way.

Some popping noises inside.  Like internal backfires.  Not metal, but there all the same.  And frequency increased as i approached 1500 tp 1600 rpm.

One thing at back of valley pan that worries me,   note color of fluid.  Id that oil n antifreeze?   Normal during breakin, or are my head gaskets not holding?

I will ck a couple videos to utube, see if that thumping is visible and any other things anyone may see or hear.

Timing at 1500 was about 5 to 7.  Seemed smoother there

Photo attached20210413_124707.jpg

Views: 289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

63 cadillac rebuild start number 2
https://youtu.be/7qbpka2rCCc

Video of second day   at .13 and .17 i think there is that sort of clank or pop i hear sort of insidr the engine

Yep.   New plugs at 35 gap

Probly chg oil tomoro,  its milky.  B4 running again

Kim, congrats on the start up. The engine seems to be running smoothly. Normally you woudl change oil at 500 miles (or at least by 1000 miles) but since oil is milky you would want to change and monitor closely. This may be due to various leaks, but otherwise the oil should remain quite clean until you do that 1st oil change. Let us know if oil stays clear after change.  If it is getting milky again it cut point to leaking or bad head gasket seal, etc. Hopefully, it is just one of the prior leaks you have addressed. Good luck.

Thanks Jason.

I reran it again, chged oil, filter, etc.  Pulled valve covers gave everythingva retighten,  i may hv actually missed one or two that i had tightened down to abput 50 in my sequencing tightening and missed on the final pull, but evertything is tight now to 75.

Ran about 20 min at 1500 rpm.  Was cking for that murkey leaky and itnever materialized,  oil was clear as bell after run on stick, were it it had been murkey before the oil chg.  So maybe that tightening up did it.  Hope so.

Engine runninf a little hot, like a tiny bit before midway, about the gauge needle.   When it shut off whem i tried to decelerate to set timing  when i started it back up, it was way over the middle. Almost 75%, so. Not sure what that could be, but it backed up some once i got it running

I kind of dnt think mt distributor is in right.  Car idles at 900.  If i try to push off the acceleratorvat the carb,  car wants to die.  So i cnt get it to 450, 80 to set timing at idle.

Anyway,  attaching a last video, still getting some backfires. One every other minute or so, and that sort of deep engine kind of backfire,  videp isnt picking that up.

3rd day, sthttps://youtu.be/jjn8ef7aEskartup

Picture is from oil chg

Nvr got reslly low enough to test at 480.  Tried to keepit upfor breakin

Read my reply tp Jason above,  spells out todays running

Yes, i out white out ib the markee

I tried to go CW but engine wont hold up to run at 450/480.  Gonna hv to put on hold for a bit

I am currently putting the car on my trailer and beginning long journey back to montana for summer and tge busy tourist season.  Takes me about four grueling driving days to get thrre from MS.  I will try to get back on it when i get back settled up there.

I had always hooed from beginning to hv it running by this time,  but as tgey say, best laid plans of mice and mem.

Thanks to everyone who has had thoughts and comments on my adventure into this rebuild,  coukdnt have gotten to this point without everyones help.and thoughts 

Kim

Been a while since i cked in. Got bk to montana w car in tow. Had some offline instrction on rochester, tuning etc in the meantime.  

Backfiring was from hving 2 & 4 spark wires crossed.  

My bent tv rod was preventing the accel from going all the way back, so got idle back to 500 w timing at 7 to 8.   

Had some instrction by using both vacuum gauge and rpm tp try and set carb.   Not sure were it stands right now.   

Engine runs half way between 1/4 andv1/2 temp while sitting at idle.   

I took for short ride today.  Thought i had trans prob for first 50 yards. But remebered fluid was out so put 5 quart in.   Took about 4 loops around block.  Some adjustment gonna be needed at tv rod i think.  But engine seemed to feel a bit more strong.  

Temp is worrysome though, it was a full 1/2 for the short ride.  Going to put infered on it at the temp sensor, see what that says, isvthat a good place to point it for this measurement?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service