My '64 convertible is an excellent example and drives beautifully, EXCEPT that it bounces on bumps, especially, say, a speed bump where it will go up and down 3 times and jiggle before settling. I replaced the shocks, and surprised that it made no difference. I have read through the "suspension" help area and it tells what to do but not how to diagnose. I assume I need new springs and have no idea when mine might have ever been replaced, as I've had the car two years. Shall I assume this will fix my problem, and is there anything special to know before I order something? i see Caddydaddy has them for $300 or so per pair. I would think many aftermarket springs could work, wonder if these are special?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are you located ? I’ve just replaced the whole suspension in my Cadillacs and have some new and old coil springs

I'm in Darien, CT near New York city.

Sounds like a shock absorber problem to me.

Unless its too low or too high in ride height, buy some quality shocks for it.

Yes, I replaced the shocks, there was no change. It was done by the Volo Auto Museum in Chicago, where I bought the car.

Preston

I think your problem would be shocks all around - ( they keep the tires tracking on the ground preventing wheel hop and suppression travel ) front and rear bushings and a complete front end exam which would include ball joints if worn 

If you push down each corner of the car the car should lift and settle at the height you started  as a sign the shocks are working

As the shocks are new the other suspension components become the issue 

The rest of the problem would be worn  suspension parts 

If you are considering replacing the rear end control arm bushing let me know as there is a serious issue with obtaining those bushings on the current market as who ever you purchase them from( only one supplier regardless of source )  they will be very short lived - 600 miles 

Dan McNarry —( under  part Suppliers in the  header ) makes new replacement arms with bushings on here which is the best and only real  solution at this point in time for that 

You may still need springs but you have to be sure your basic suspension issues are addressed before you consider doing  new  springs and ride height if then needed 

Enjoy 

That should be suspension travel above ( spell check nonsense ) 

OK, then I will have to find a suspension shop and get it inspected. Perhaps they will suggest replacing the springs but some other thing could be wrong. The car drives great except for bumps. It does jiggle a bit on certain roads and I chalked that up to old age. I don't know whether the chassis has loosened from the body in some way. I've never had to check anything like that in a car.

If you want replace your springs maybe you should contact Kanter instead. I bought all suspension parts from them. Very satisfied. Springs, shocks, brakes and the full front end kit (super). The car is feeling excellent on the road.

The only thing I'm not happy about was the info I received after ordering. Kanter doesn't display the HD springs. So when I ordered online I wasn't aware that they had HD springs as well. It was when the parts was paid and shipped Jason informed that there was HD springs available. He got them for his car. So I fitted the standard springs. Maybe HD springs would be a step better, but frankly how the car behaves and stands correctly its a pleasure with the standard springs.

Just checked the Kanter website and it looks like they have a short period sale right now.

Many thanks. I'll have a look at it appears I should get everything checked before grabbing the springs, but it seems likely the springs would help, no telling how old they are. I would think HD springs might affect the Cadillac ride. I don't want to stiffen the ride, just stop the bouncing. 

have you checked the ball and yoke mounted on the top of the rear differential? if that is damaged or pulled out of the bracket  the car will sway and bounce from that as well

No, I have not. Thanks for that, I will get it done.

have you checked the ball and yoke mounted on the top of the rear differential? if that is damaged or pulled out of the bracket  the car will sway and bounce from that as well

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

63 coupedebille fuel pump issues

Started by Daniel Grande in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 2 hours ago. 20 Replies

I have a 63 cadillac and I took it to a mechanic for a motor tune up long story short the fuel pump gave out and hes tried twice to order it and he says it didnt fit the original pump is smaller on…Continue

A Before & After Example

Started by Jason Edge in Restoration Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Since I started cadmium plating the many fasteners and other items from the 55 and counting parts cars I have bought in (1200 lbs worth and counting), I have to say it has really taken the…Continue

Oil leaking out of oil cap breather

Started by mark zimmerman in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by mark zimmerman yesterday. 12 Replies

Hi i would like some ideas on this i replaced oil cap breather and pcv valve and still oil  coming out of breather at normal speeds down the road.This has been going on for quiet awhile from the…Continue

Update on fuel pump

Started by Daniel Grande in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by William R Conte yesterday. 1 Reply

I'm still looking thru land and sea for this fuel pump anyone out there know what size engine I have here are some pics of the stamps on the block I found to make sure my engine is a 390 because the…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service