My '64 convertible is an excellent example and drives beautifully, EXCEPT that it bounces on bumps, especially, say, a speed bump where it will go up and down 3 times and jiggle before settling. I replaced the shocks, and surprised that it made no difference. I have read through the "suspension" help area and it tells what to do but not how to diagnose. I assume I need new springs and have no idea when mine might have ever been replaced, as I've had the car two years. Shall I assume this will fix my problem, and is there anything special to know before I order something? i see Caddydaddy has them for $300 or so per pair. I would think many aftermarket springs could work, wonder if these are special?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Preston

If you do not have one of the best super  cloud 9 rides you have ever had in a car ( or  any Cadillac) or you cannot drive with one finger at any speed ——your suspension could use some work

That is what our years Cadillacs have to offer there owners 

I can only vouch for my 64 Cadillac convertible or my 62 convert two of my very favorite Cadillacs  that I still enjoy owning from the day I bought  and owned my 62 show stopper at 24 years while attending collage 

My 64 is a one family owned car that has been enjoyed for what it is from day one and maintain constantly thru out it’s entire existence for the great ride and fun it is to use the car 

The stock suspension in the ride of our year is like no other and and I have owned a number of 60’s and 70’s  CDV’s and converts — so that is my own personal experience 
For that reason I would encourage anyone restoring our year cars to bring the stock suspension back to life if that is the route you choose to go to suit you own needs regarding your restoration 

The prize at the end of that restoration journey is a special one in my opinion 

I hope my experience regarding the subject will inspire the current owners on this site  to invest in them as these years are the height of excellence for the quality of engineering  and materials being used and Cadillac being on the top of there game in the luxury  car world in these years

“It rides like a Cadillac  “ — applies here big time !! 
My 64 still is a crazy fun vehicle to be in till this day as  the fun has never ended for me owning this wonderful  toy     ( the way I choose to use it in my retirement ) 

Enjoy  

Tony, you were some guy in college if you had a Cadillac convertible. And I did OK at University of Arizona in a '69 Jaguar XKE that I bought for $2500 from Diana Ross's husband, but the Cadillac had more style. 

So I am going to do exactly what you say next Monday, have the entire suspension inspected and it will get whatever it needs, springs and all other parts. The car has cost me very little in 2-3 years of joyous driving and a few parades. Every time I park it somewhere, almost always with the top down, I find a crowd around it, posing for pictures. So I will fix the ride quality. 

The right car sure can help out where the ladies are concerned 

Great when I was single but has remained a constant source of much fun my wife and I enjoy for 45 years together 

You see —“ we both have the car gene in our families  “ - as she has often said 

Enjoy 

Preston 

The XKE is funny because I  personally was crazy about the XKE as my Dad had 3 XK 120’s in the 50’s  so we were into enjoying Brigs Cunningham with his D Jaguar race team when he was at the local race circuits in the NY ‘s surrounding Areas. (  Hampton Speedway and Limerock speedway ) 

The jag’s were some of the faster sport cars around in the 50’s 

My Dad bought me my first  new car and my  current 64 convertible at the same moment and he would not spring for the XKE ( my first choice ) as it was twice the price of the 1963 Chevy Super Sport 409 425 4 speed that I did wind up with breaking and holding the Islip Speedway track record for 4 years in Super Stock 

You can understand the kind of —-car guy my dad had to be —to buy me a car like that and I was 21 years old then 

Seems that drag racing was in the air and music with the mussel car coming out of the factories then 

Dad was very performance minded when it came to his sport cars his Cadillac collection airplane and motorcycle

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Happy Father's Day!

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 15 hours ago. 1 Reply

Happy Father's Day to my dad, Sam Edge. He was there in the beginning with…Continue

622 nss 63 tilt

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 7 Replies

Previously, i mentioned the  bu lights didnt work, and conversatiin went to nss.   Mine has the two jumped wire bypass so car will go in drive/start.Got the switch out and the outer tract plastic is…Continue

Timing chain help

Started by Cody in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 on Saturday. 3 Replies

I have the front of my engine taken apart to replace the timing chain and gears. According to the manual it says to remove the cam gear and chain together then the crank gear.I can’t for the life of…Continue

Blog Posts

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Thank you Kurt re: VIN location

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 19, 2021 at 1:07pm 0 Comments

I just wanted to say a thank you to Kurt for steering me to the tech tips page on V.I.N. locations.  Excellent information.  Thanks a bundle.

Robert Pellow

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service