Hey guys.

Im going to be pulling my engine and tranny out soon. Theres some leaks on my engine and tranny. The main reason for this is because i need to paint the engine and engine bay. So i might as well go through everything and replace all gaskets and seals. Im going to be pulling most of the parts off the engine to sandblast and paint. Im pretty new here and was wondering if anyone has a parts list of what i would need. I would want to change front and rear mains seals, valve cover, oil pan seals, etc. If some can help me out with what i will need and maybe what site you guys order off of. That would be appreciated. 

Btw i have 1963 deville series 62. Not sure what transmission it has in it. I have posted pictures of the gear selector since i read on here you can identify tranny from that. I have also posted pictures of the engine so you guys know what im dealing with. LOL. 

Thanks alot guys!

Views: 548

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Klutch, the transmission in your 63 is the Hydra Matic, or a jetaway in the transmission shop circle.  Since the transmission is going to be removed as well, it would be a good idea to seal up the transmission too. The Taurus converter comes apart to get to the front seal on the transmission. The shifter shaft seals and speedometer gear seal are sure to leak too. 

Getting a gasket kit my be the cheapest route for engine gaskets, and Fel Pro makes a complete kit.

Do you got a link for the gasket kit? I looked online but didnt find any kits. 

Thanks russ

So is my transmission a 3 speed then? Do you know the model number? I might as well get a gasket kit for that too since i know the pan is leaking for sure anyways. Then i can seal the convertor up too.

Buy a shop manual for your car.

Klutch, The 1963 Cadillac Transmission is simply referred to as the Cadillac Hydramatic. It is a 4 speed transmission.  All 1963 Cadillac body styles came with the Hydramatic, so just make sure you are ordering gasket, etc. for the 1963 Hydramatic, or one that includes that year range. The shop manual will have details about the 1963 Hydrmatic transmission. For general information including history of the transmission check out the - Engine and Transmission Facts - differences from 62 to 63 to 64 to 65 post from our Help Page.

Speaking of the Shop Manual, it is a must if you plan to do any repair or maintenance on these cars. There is a 1963 Shop Manual on eBay right now for $24.99 with free shipping. You can see it by Clicking Here.  It is soiled a bit on the corner and has some smudges but looks like a good complete manual which is the main thing. If you want a very nice original print copy, I have one for $45 + $5 shipping for a total of $50.  Just shoot me an email to jasonedge@nc.rr.com

Since the engine is coming out. for the love of God, please change that upper radiator hose.  The engine color is sourced from Bill Hirsch, and the paint is the best color match for the Cadillac blue.  The firewall is black and the inner fenders are black.

Hi Klutch, good to have you with us. Pulling, dismantling and cleaning and sealing up an engine can lead to some serious project scope creep and don't want to give you a long laundry list of things you don't need necessarily have to replace or address, but if you pull the front engine cover I would definitely look at replacing the timing chain set as the nylon coated teeth on the cam gear almost always starts breaking off and digesting through the engine once the engine gets some miles on it. Of 48 63/64 parts cars I would save over 1/2 had major issue in that area.
As far as gasket kits, you can get individual kits like the front cover kit that includes a lot of the main gaskets, and from there add the ones you need (e.g. valve cover, oil pan, exhaust manifold), or you can get a complete kit.  When I rebuild my 1964 429 engine in 2012 I used the complete engine overhaul Kit from Kanter (www.kanter.com). I checked and they show one for the 1963 390 for $164 (Click Here).  I also checked USA Parts (go to www.usapartssupply.com and pull up page 29 of their current online catalog. It will be part # 0.300B). Their price is 189.95. I have had good luck with both Kanter and USA Parts. You might be able to also find it on Amazon or eBay.

Since you are going to to be repainting your engine I would suggest checking out these 2 Help Topic pages:
- Engine Paint Colors 
-
Engine Painting Tips 

And for inspiration and with cleaning up and putting your engine back together you might check out my main page with projects, including my engine rebuild then engine bay clean-up at this link:

- Engine Rebuild: Jason Edge Engine Rebuild and Other Project      

I should probably replace timing chain too. Is there a kit for that too with the gears and everything? 

Is there a difference in between the two different suppliers of gasket kits? Or pretty much the same?

Hi Klutch, like Jason recommended I have also had great success with any of the following vendors for timing gears/ chains as well as seals:

USA Parts Supply- Kentucy

Cad Company- New Mexico  (these guys specialize in Cadillac 472 /500 but are knowledgeable in all Cads and will sell parts for them. 

Kanter Auto Products- New Jersey

Most of them let you buy ONLY what you need or want rather than an entire "kit" that may contain unnecessary parts. 

Additionally, there are lots of vendors on Ebay that sell stuff and I have found that if you know exactly what you want, you can get it pretty cheap that way. 

Have fun with it!

Don't forget to look into rock auto. Huge amount of parts for our cars and I have found no one who can touch their prices. Take motor mounts for example, 40 to 60 most places and 4 bucks at rock auto. 

Just an update for you guys. I did a compression test to check for bad cylinders before i pulled the motor apart. I did a dry test and wet test with about 2 squirts of oil in each hole.It seems like the compression is low but their all within the same amount. What do you guys think??

1 - (dry) 115 (wet) 130. 

3 - (dry) 110 (wet) 120.

5 - (dry) 110 (wet) 120.

7 - (dry) 110 (wet) 120.

2 - 120/130

4 - 110/118

6 - 125/130

8 - 110/115

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Rear main Follow up replacement and repair,,

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 10 minutes ago. 67 Replies

Well, got it all together,, Jason, i was looking in the wrong chapter in the manual on the starter,, got that figured out.  everything hooked back upGot it put back together, started up, and oil…Continue

Cadillac King - UNFAIR, Unprofessional

Started by Edward in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 14 minutes ago. 8 Replies

Hi Good America Today I’ll like to bring awareness, and hope to help prevent future headaches. 20years and they still got my order wrong !At Cadillac King i spent over 1400$ on parts. I specifically…Continue

Movie Star Cars.

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 8 hours ago. 19 Replies

We have the Village Roadshow film studios about an 1.5 hour drive away.They've put out a call for cars to appear in a movie about Elvis. :-)So, I nominated our 64 Fleetwood as a potential "Movie Star…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 12 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service