Hey guys.

Im going to be pulling my engine and tranny out soon. Theres some leaks on my engine and tranny. The main reason for this is because i need to paint the engine and engine bay. So i might as well go through everything and replace all gaskets and seals. Im going to be pulling most of the parts off the engine to sandblast and paint. Im pretty new here and was wondering if anyone has a parts list of what i would need. I would want to change front and rear mains seals, valve cover, oil pan seals, etc. If some can help me out with what i will need and maybe what site you guys order off of. That would be appreciated. 

Btw i have 1963 deville series 62. Not sure what transmission it has in it. I have posted pictures of the gear selector since i read on here you can identify tranny from that. I have also posted pictures of the engine so you guys know what im dealing with. LOL. 

Thanks alot guys!

Views: 548

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes all the plugs were pulled and car to operating temperature. 

I'd just drive it, the compression is close enough on the cylinders.  Were you having any blow by issues out the oil fill tube?

No i havent noticed excessive blowby in the cylinders. I think ill just do a gasket set on it and paint it. Since im that far i might as well pull the heads and look at the cylinders and change the head gasket. 

Since the engine will be out, drop the pan and check the clearances on the crank and connecting rods with the plasti gauge stuff.

To contradict myself here. If you have the time and money, nothing beats a fresh engine rebuild.

You guys think the problem could just be a worn out timing chain causing the low compression. I guess there isnt a real way of checking it without tearing into it? 

The stock timing chain has that plastic coating that breaks off, so the chain need to be replaced anyways. But that doesn't help in diagnosing the low compression.

If the original chain and gear are in the motor i would replace them. As Russ pointed out they have plastic teeth that break off. A sloppy gear and chain could reduce compression but I would believe you have normal wear that's causing lower compression.  Replacing the chain and gear will probably allow your engine to live a little longer in it's present state. I did my 1977 Ford 460 with 49,000 miles. Although the teeth were still intacked they were severely cracked and starting to separate from the actual metal.

Not sure why a timing chain with slack in it would be effecting a compression numbers
The piston is still moving in the cylinder as it would

Enjoy

Changing the timing chain and gears on a high mileage engine is the key to getting back to the performance you want from your stock engine
A very good time to do that is when replacing a water pump as you are half way there already
You will enjoy the new smooth performance and power that will improve for your overall performance

Enjoy

On second thought --if the valve timing is not correct due to timing chain wear --even by a small amount that would change the compression numbers
The vales are not opening and closing at the designated time
The stock cam gear in our years have a Teflon ( a plastic -like steel )that they are coated with that will come apart over time
If you have no sign of that your cam gears may have been changed out before

Enjoy

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Even a little bit of play in the chain could cause the crank and cam to not run in sync. I just got this car last year and think the engine is totally original. Nothing looks done to it. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 17 hours ago. 164 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Looking for 64 to 66 seat belt buckles, male and female together.

Started by Ryan Frawley in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 19 hours ago. 5 Replies

Hey all, I am in the process of finishing up my 64 coupe deville and noticed that the front seat belts only have the retractor side in the bag I put all the belts in when I got it. I have found it…Continue

Tags: buckle, safety belt, seatbelt, seatbelts

Movie Star Cars.

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kurt yesterday. 17 Replies

We have the Village Roadshow film studios about an 1.5 hour drive away.They've put out a call for cars to appear in a movie about Elvis. :-)So, I nominated our 64 Fleetwood as a potential "Movie Star…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service