Any suggestions on how to prime the engine with oil? I can see the top of the oil pump gear when looking down through where the distributor sits, however it doesn't have a slot in it like a chevy does. I had it torn down and replaced everything with the exception of the pistons and rings. The engine is still out of the car at this point. I have tried a couple of different sixed sockets, but noting seems to grip onto the oil pump gear shaft. What method have you used?

Views: 472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used an old distributor that has the cam gear teeth shaved off.  A shaft for a drill is welded onto the top.

I used a cordless drill, long 3/8" extension, and 12 mm socket. Make sure the socket snaps on the end of the extension firmly so that it locks in place and you can pull back out without dropping the socket in the engine. Here is a video of me priming my engine after rebuild: http://6364cadillac.ning.com/video/jason-engine-project-pt-4-primin...

Can you pull the coil wire and crank the starter a number of times ( resting between) to have the oil circulate thru the engine
Would that work for any reason on the Cadillac 390 and 429 engines ?
Would the dist need to be installed in the engine for the oil to circulate as it might normaly as in when you go to start the engine on a normal day ?

Tony, That defeats the purpose of priming the engine. You want the engine top and bottom end saturated with oil before you crank it from a fresh rebuild. If you just turn the engine over dry, the only lube will be a bit of assembly lube. If you manually prime the pump gear and pump until it starts bubbling out of the top oil pressure sending hole as I did, you are assured the engine is saturated with oil when you go to crank  for the first time.

So just a small thought. As my car is in the garage 6 months for winter storage, would this procedure be of any use before starting in the spring?

Probably would not hurt, however, not critical as it is with a freshly rebuilt engine where you have that initial "breaking in" and seating of the rings in the cylinder walls, etc.

Just to add, when I rebuilt my engine in 2012 I followed the Engine Break-In procedures almost verbatim per the instructions on our Engine Break In Help Page post at this link: http://6364cadillac.ning.com/profiles/blogs/engine-break-in

Jason
Thank you

I ended up using an E18 socket. It worked great! (I didn't have any luck with the 12mm socket)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

How much play in 63 timing chain?

Started by Ben Roberts in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Ben Roberts 8 hours ago. 6 Replies

I will be installing a new chain and gears because I'm in this deep and all the forums here strongly recommend doing so.  It appears the coating is intact and I don't have to worry about that debris…Continue

The Australian Bushfires:.......

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 8 hours ago. 11 Replies

I know we have some Aussies on here and I have to say, Australia, is in a whole world of hurt at the moment, so do ya best to stay safe.Currently, in the southern states, 4 huge fire fronts, look…Continue

1964 sixty special fleetwood piston ring need help

Started by Pablo in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 11 hours ago. 1 Reply

Good morning, I just got an engine that needs piston rings , it’s a 429 cid , the measure of the piston is 104 14 according with the digital caliper, also the size of cylinder shows 105 01 , the…Continue

Blog Posts

Road Trip

Posted by Ray Schick on January 21, 2020 at 9:00pm 7 Comments

Got a little cabin fever this morning,decided to take a road trip to Hickory Corners Michigan, The Gilmore Museum. It’s about 2 1/2 hours from my home . Place is awesome,I was really impressed.

9A648CFF-E965-4CE0-8E91-8E194AC70DED.jpeg…

Continue

1964 429 Aluminum Front Cover For Sale!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on January 12, 2020 at 3:30pm 1 Comment

• I wound up with an extra front cover for my '64 and offering it for sale.

Purchased from a knowledgable part supplier with thorough hands-on knowledge of 63-64 Cadillac engines, who checked the part before sending it to me. The oil pump driven gearSee S bore and the pressure relief piston bore are both .002 over and within the .005…

Continue

Looking for the Rochester Choke Tube ...

Posted by Mack on January 10, 2020 at 1:14am 3 Comments

37E244B6-71C7-4857-8D50-1BD8C48077A4.jpeg

Looking to buy the choke tube for my Rochester... anybody have one for Sale???

AC/heater for 1964 Cadillac coupe de ville

Posted by Matias J. Adrogue on January 7, 2020 at 11:11am 9 Comments

Good morning!  I am Matias Adrogue.  I bought a 1964 Cadillac coupe de ville last year and am real close to the final restoration details!  I call her “Jaws 64”.  Pics will be posted soon.  I need advise regarding a AC/heater.  It came stock in the vehicle but it does not work.  A mechanic gave me a bid of $1700 to replace and repair.  I am ready to install a new system - Vintage Air or Old Air Products from Fort Worth Texas.  I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.  I read the great write…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service