Am removing the front cover on our 64 engine with AC. Have all 6 bolts that hold the pulley onto the damper removed, can wiggle the pulley BUT it will not come fully off the damper, Is there something other than dirt and rust that keeps the pulley from fully coming off?

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mission accomplished here looks like 

Nice work 

Enjoy

Next step is getting to get the front cover off. All to get to a broken water pump bolt that is stuck in the block.

So the oil pump comes off in the front cover right?

Lost my timing mark, line up a bit, when removing the damper, will want to get that back latter.

May change the timing gears and chain with the cover off anyway.

QUESTION -- Do all the caddy cranks have a metal sleeve over its front end?

thx again

Tom

Remove the distributor and fuel pump.  Take the 2 front studs out of the oil pan also. Not sure what you mean by a metal sleeve. The balancer comes off and that exposes the crank end.

Russ,

At the front end of the crank shaft the surface is a shiny brass colored finish. Take a look at the photo i posted yesterday at IMG 1353 JPG. IT looks like a "sleeve" over the crank end?Also  if you look closely,  beyond the blue paint,where the keyway is, the diameter is the same as the front end, also shiny brass colored.

The raised area at the front of the crank is part of the crankshaft. That is normal. See picture below:

Thanks Jason.

And both of our cylindrical surfaces look just fine.

Will get to actually removing the front cover Monday. Fuel pump is off, left the oil pump on/in the cover, left the new water pump on the front cover, will back out the two studs, remove the bolts holding the cover to the block and the cover should come right off! leaving the broken water pump bolt sticking out.  Finally .

Thx

Tom

If you do need a new timing chain and gears you will be experiencing a whole new level of smooth power and performance from your engine 

Those parts are truly the heart of the engines  valve timing and performance 

If anyone has a need to be replacing the water pump with an engine approaching 100,000 miles I would highly recommend that you go into the front engine cover to replace these parts as you are already  half way there 

The oil pump gears SB examined  for wear  and 63 can be upgrades to the 64 pump parts 

Any scoring in the pump needs to be addressed 

The end results in back to new engine performance will make you a happy camper 

In these years 100,000 miles or so was as long as you expected these engines to be lasting before needing some overhauling   ( no CNC machining available then ) 

See Jason’s video about drilling out broken bolts in the block and that will  it get done 

An area that many have issues  with leaking  after the WP install is the seal between the top of the water pump and and the water cross over tube 

Do use  special care in that area as you only know you have a leak when the job is completed and you are adding coolant back into the car as one of the very last steps 

A leak then is very disappointing 

I use two washers there and Permatex fast drying sealant on them  and never had a leak in that place 

A coolant  sealer can work as well if needed —and a coolant sealer and water pump lube are  always to be used in the coolant per the manual 

One of the better things you can do to be enjoying Like new engine performance from you pride and joy 

These are not repair you would choose to do twice if you have a choice 

Enjoy 

It will be necessary to check —the impeller placement of the  new water pump on its shaft depending on the brand used 

There was a bad run of  new water pumps coming out of the box for a while that would make the engine run hot when installed and require that the repair be done a second time ( god no ! ) 

The info is documented on this site 

A few tip that should help the repair get done correctly and save some agro !! 

Keep thinking it not the repairs required to keep our cars running well ( often very frustrating ) that make ownership the great FUN  thing it is — but getting these cars out on the road to enjoy the joy they bring to your life and many of those you encounter along the way 

We are a special breed to be doing this stuff !!!

Enjoy 

Tom 

Do take the time to get a service manual for your year Cadillac 

Everyone need this who owns and works on one of our cars 

It will be one of the best possible tools to aid you in your repairs when ever needed and then there is this great site 

Our Cadillac manuals  are very high quality with outstanding detail repair instructions and  all  important specs 

Very great reference material 

The manual can be found here and on eBay ( $ 30- 40) 

Can give it to your mechanic  it if that applies —so both you and him know what the repair requires he is doing  ( that is if he can read —-LOL ! ) 

Enjoy 

Already have the manual for the 64 and our 62 Deville' and find them to be very helpful.

Have also found that asking questions from those who have already done work on these old Cadillacs to be extremely helpful as well. Been spending time to learn on the 64 first with the 62 to be latter.

Jason been a source for many parts as needed. Rest from various sources.

Thx for the advice

Tom

The 64 and 62 have been my own personal favorite Classic Antique Cadillac of all time myself 

Both were convertibles with air 

Enjoy 

We were lucky enough to find the 62 as a convertible as well as the 64.

The 62 is totally original ,in storage since 78. We bought it year ago. Currently have it in a garage and hope to get to it once this 64 is driveable. 62 is olympic white,ac, soft ray glass,power windows, power vent windows,remote trunk lock,6 way power front seat,white power top,maroon interior(29).

The 62' body is very straight, paint is very very dull (not good) yet rust free. Has rusted inner rail on both sides  under where the top well caught water. Needs some exterior metal just outside the inner rail areas-very low under the boat feature.

Hopefully we can get this 64 broken water pump bolt problem solved soon, so it can be driven and then get to the 62 convertible  as it will need lots of time to get it  to a nice condition.

THX agin

Tom

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Lou Ramirez 11 hours ago. 9 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

1963 Chateau deVille?

Started by thejollychimp in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Richard Otto 15 hours ago. 3 Replies

Have any of you seen or heard of a "Chateau deVille" model? I searched the internet and only found two references to it (below). Sounds like it might have been a dealer installed package? I actually…Continue

Custom '64 Eldorado on Bitchin' Rides Last Night

Started by Ian Osborne in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

If anyone here is familiar with the show "Bitchin' Rides" they started work on a '64 Eldo on the episode that aired last night (12/5). I really like the show and they build some amazing custom…Continue

Blog Posts

still need a driveshaft

Posted by wayne weaver on November 26, 2019 at 11:53am 0 Comments

well thank you UPS for losing the driveshaft that Russ Austin shipped me. 

however i still need a rear driveshaft section for my 63. mine has a vibration due to the bushing inside of it. its a shame because the ball and sockets in the cardian joints are perfect but it has a woble on the balancing machine. so .  still need the rear section. anyone have a good one ? is there driveshaft alternatives to use ? i am really considering an LS swap and since im fighting the driveshaft search…

Continue

63 guidematic issues

Posted by maurice lapoiinte on November 24, 2019 at 3:10pm 0 Comments

So my 63 guide matic headlamps stay on low beam all the time. I have so far bypassed the system and everything works normal. I have been thru the trouble shooting in the manual but this is where the confusion begins.on my car when the power relay is powered I have low beam and when its not powered I have highbeam, this appears to be opposite what the diagnosis says should be correct.The wiring is all original and no wires have been mixed up.has anyone ever unplugged the 2 wire connector…

Continue

Another advantage of the Pertronix III

Posted by Doug Scarrow on November 23, 2019 at 11:12am 1 Comment

Having tried both the II and III I can say the multispark feature of the III offers a smoother idle . It is also easier to install .Does not require removal of the distributor

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service