Am removing the front cover on our 64 engine with AC. Have all 6 bolts that hold the pulley onto the damper removed, can wiggle the pulley BUT it will not come fully off the damper, Is there something other than dirt and rust that keeps the pulley from fully coming off?

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See Jason video on  engine broken bolt removal 

The key is the correct kind of drill bit and a set of E-Z Out tools will get it done 

Once the center of the bolt is drilled out it releases the bolt easily 

A good chance once the cover is removed you can grab the end of the bolt showing with a large Vic grips 

The two of your restoration projects sound sweet to me 

Enjoy 

I am removing the front cover so I can see --  and get to a length of the bolt equivalent to the width of the front cover. Looking to getting a vice grip or pipe wrench onto the remnants of the bolt.

Decided to take off the front cover rather than risk drilling into the bolt tip and accidently drilling the ALUMINUM front cover.

Tom

These two cadillacs are challenging ok--since this my first time working on these 63 & 62 vintage caddies

So, I finally got the front cover of the 64 engine off.

Here is what I found.

Whoever changed the timing chain/gears and water pump years ago--must have had a problem with the threads in the block. For one bolt location, They inserted a helicoil type thing in the block and installed the water pump using a smaller diameter bolt, of lesser  strength than the original.

So here we are in 2019 replacing the water pump, breaking that bolts head off, drilling the bolt up to 3/16", breaking various easy outs, using freeze stuff and finally forcing the cover off and actually breaking the shank of the bolt since it refused to come out with any easy outs.

Now the rest(threaded end with some form of metric threads) of the bolt is still stuck in the helicoil. Getting that end out is next project.

Nicely enough the front cover is fine.

Tom, A couple of points:  1st: Not sure why anyone would go thru the process to drill out broken bolt and install helicoil and not use a Grade 5, or better yet Grade 8 bolt. They are readily available. But, I've seen some really crazy things with the parts cars.  2nd: when drilling out the broken bolts be sure to use "hard metal" drill bits as noted in my tech tip on our September Newsletter which you can see by Clicking Here

Jason

I used the Milwaukee "cobalt" drill bits like you described. They worked just fine.

Some are rated 15x now with some as 10x.

Started putting some release lubricant on the bolt part that is still in the block earlier today.

Thx

10 or 15 would be over kill and not needed for this application. Main thing is do not use standard or stainless. Stainless is about the same strength as stainless bolts.. just a tad more, but many have the misconception they are super strong. The will not corrode, but will snap just like a standard grade bolt.

Jason, When I referred to 10x and 15x I was referring to the published LIFE of the Milwaukee cobalt drill bits as printed on their packaging.

On some applications it is more like 100x!! Those regular bits can be useless on hardened bolts and metal!

YOU SURE GOT THAT RIGHT. Those cobalt bits are terrific on metal.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

wanted balast tube for guide eye amp

Started by maurice lapoiinte in General Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 36 minutes ago. 1 Reply

I am looking for a vaccum tube for my guide eye amp. tube #5947343 it call the ballast tube, its the shorter one of the 2 and only has a filament in it. fits 59-66 cadillacs with the guidematic…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 5 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Sanders shorty headers for the 63-64

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 17 hours ago. 3 Replies

Just saw my first set of Sanders shorty headers for 64-66 429 engines at Classic Performance Parts Continue

Sanders shorty headers for the 63-64

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 23 hours ago. 0 Replies

Just saw my first set of Sanders shorty headers for 64-66 429 engines at Classic Performance Parts Continue

Blog Posts

still need a driveshaft

Posted by wayne weaver on November 26, 2019 at 11:53am 0 Comments

well thank you UPS for losing the driveshaft that Russ Austin shipped me. 

however i still need a rear driveshaft section for my 63. mine has a vibration due to the bushing inside of it. its a shame because the ball and sockets in the cardian joints are perfect but it has a woble on the balancing machine. so .  still need the rear section. anyone have a good one ? is there driveshaft alternatives to use ? i am really considering an LS swap and since im fighting the driveshaft search…

Continue

63 guidematic issues

Posted by maurice lapoiinte on November 24, 2019 at 3:10pm 0 Comments

So my 63 guide matic headlamps stay on low beam all the time. I have so far bypassed the system and everything works normal. I have been thru the trouble shooting in the manual but this is where the confusion begins.on my car when the power relay is powered I have low beam and when its not powered I have highbeam, this appears to be opposite what the diagnosis says should be correct.The wiring is all original and no wires have been mixed up.has anyone ever unplugged the 2 wire connector…

Continue

Another advantage of the Pertronix III

Posted by Doug Scarrow on November 23, 2019 at 11:12am 1 Comment

Having tried both the II and III I can say the multispark feature of the III offers a smoother idle . It is also easier to install .Does not require removal of the distributor

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service