Head lights flashing on high beam only. After switching to halogens.

I switched my head lights from the T3 lights years ago. I replaced them with 55 watt halogens. All 4 were changed. This will be for the 1964 Cadillac 75 series limo. The problem is after about 3 minutes on high beam they start to flash on/off. It only happens on high beam. I need the extra  brite lights to see at night being i live in the country. Is there any solution on fixing this problem?

Views: 787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tony, halogens that pull the same or less than your regular incandescent bulbs will work just fine. Apparently some Halogens (probably on the last leg of their life) pull more current and when you have 4  high amperage pulling bulbs may cause problems. As indicated in my reply, I Have some Halogens that pull less than the incandescent bulbs. If interested in my Halogens shoot me an email and indicate which you are need (#2 outers or #1 inners or both). 

You definitely have more problems than flickering lights. Damaged wiring creates resistance. More resistance = more current draw.  It may be time to replace the dash wire harness.  FYI, there are 2 separate wire harness's under the dash. The starting circuit, with has the ignition switch, and the main dash harness, which has the head lamp and dash lights.

Jason and myself have good used wire harness's for the dash.  We both deal in the 63/64 Cadillac parts.  

Thank you for your information on this problem. As soon as i get extra cash i will contact you on the harness. That 1994 cadillac in picture is in need of motor work on the Lt1 350 & it already cost me $127 in cap & rotor & $74 in plug wires,  For the optic spark dist. Besides payiing this mechinac guy his labor cost, Unless i get it back & do it myself? I confused on the newer cars as to much sensors/electronics. I do have a partialy stripped 1960 Cadillac Deville 4dr.  Parts car only. The motor/tranny,front end sold & gone. I also stripped down a 1963 Cadillac Deville as it was rotted out. I saved the whole tail fins & other parts. Most of the other car is in trunk of 1960. I have extra ac units,cylinder heads from 390 & 429 with other motor parts/brackets,intakes, 4 barrel  Carter/Rochester carbs..I live in Upstate Ny in a little town called Medina. Were all the rotted cars are.

I have 4 Sylvania halogens on Mine for a few years and so far no issues. Never gave it a thought till all this came up.

Jason
Thanks for the heads up ,always appreciated , to me you are the ultimate source on the subject of our year cars
I have watched you grow more and more involved in the subject over the years ( 2006 -on the first website ),to your extensive involvement with the subject today
So glad you are available to all of us those that enter your Cadillac domain
It is a true pleasure watching you do what you do here , for a very long time
Regards

Tony, We have all come a long way. It is great to have someone from so far back spanning 3 website hosts - MSN, then Multiply, and now here on our Ning.com hosted site since August 2012.

We had the same problem. Easy fix with a relay wired into the system and placed out of sight. With ours having the sentinel system, we had to relay both circuits as the sparkie explained, the normal head light system and sentinel system is two completely separate circuits. Oh Crap, I just realized I've answered a question that is older than me....sorry. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Power Brake Booster

Started by Stephen A. Pechenik in General Discussion. Last reply by Stephen A. Pechenik 16 minutes ago. 5 Replies

Hello Co-Members,I recently purchased a  low mileage1963 Sedan Deville Park Avenue.  It is extremely solid and runs well.  Neverthelss, it has minor problems that need to be addressed before I can…Continue

Jeremy LeBlanc

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 8 hours ago. 4 Replies

Jeremy I am very interested in learning all you can tell me and the community about your engine swap to the 2019 LS2 L96 Silverado engine and 6L90 trans you installed in your 63Any details you could…Continue

Tags: 63, to, swap, engine, Silverado

Dan McNarry

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 10 hours ago. 5 Replies

Dan Have you come up with any solution for the front bushings of the rear trailing arms of our year cars ?I thought you had suggested you were thinking about what you might do about that Stay Safe Continue

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 22 hours ago. 178 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Blog Posts

1964 Cadillac fleetwood sixty special vanilla top windshield needed

Posted by Pablo on April 5, 2020 at 10:00pm 3 Comments

If anybody has or know where Can I get a windshield glass for my 1964 Cadillac fleetwood sixty special with vinyl  top? I will appreciate any info.

Thank you very much

How to sensibly deal with the Corona Virus

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on March 14, 2020 at 5:02pm 6 Comments

https://theamericanscholar.org/covid-19-a-primer/

I found this very helpful, written by a knowledgeable authority in public health. 

Remember, Viruses are not spread by Cadillacs so get out and drive!

Safe & Healthy travels. 

Jeff Kinzler

1963 Eldorado convertible boot

Posted by Les Eastling on February 27, 2020 at 10:33am 1 Comment

I need a used convertible boot for a 63 Cadillac convertible - condition or color is not an issue since it will be used as a pattern for making a new one. One from either a 62 series convertible or an Eldorado would work. I know I am searching for hen's teeth here... but you never know unless you ask!

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service