Spent the day taking dash and instrument cluster apart so I could remove the shift indicator bezel and lens (to replace).  Got the three retaining screws out and thought I was home free - but the bezel and lens won't budge.  Feels like they're still bolted in.  Trying to be gentle while handling yet still apply enough pressure, the piece really won't come out.  There's an odd looking piece of rectangular metal lined up with a rectangular hole in the bezel.  Please tell me this is not screwed in from other side somehow....if it is I have no idea how I could ever remove it.  What am I doing wrong????  Any advice appreciated and thanks.

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See Lee 

I did say you would get the info you need to get the repair done 

Glad you did  not give up on the repair 

Thank GOD for Jason with pictures arrows and his passion for our Cadillacs to get us thru the difficult details always 

Bet you feel better about the fix Now you got it done 

So take the darn thing off eBay already !

Gotta Love this site and the guys that live here daily 

Enjoy 

Yes Lee, glad you persevered. We've all started projects on these cars that we wish we hadn't when things aren't going smoothly. For me that only makes victory sweeter. Now every time you look at your shift needle through that clear lens and fresh bezel you will feel a real sense of a pride and accomplishment.

Yes you are right Kurt.  I painted the needle and adjusted it today - since I bought the car it's been black (not white) and bent so you never knew what gear you were in.  Now it's bright white and spot on.  Will look SO much better  :-)

Glad it worked out and good to know only upper brace/bracket needs to be loosened. You could have probably loosened that lower brace without damaging that rubber boot, but still good to know. 

One last question - I'm looking at disconnecting the heat/AC unit from bezel.  The manual talks about removing the connections from inside and taking out two screws holding it to the instrument panel.  But the manual doesn't say anything about the two levers that stick out through the bezel for driver to use.  They are flared at the tip and keep the unit from being pulled out.  Is there a special technique or process for this?  As long as everything is taken apart, I figure I may as well go all the way, lol...thanks!

There is a pic in the Help section of the AC control. From what I can see, to remove the lens/bezel my guess is that pop the clips (red arrows), with both levers in the middle (Off position) pull lens out sightly and rotate 90 degrees. the slot will now easily slide over the ends of the levers. Just a guess but that's what it looks like to me. You won't be able to do that without removing the AC control from the car though.

@Kurt - Thanks, so simple yet I would never have thought of that - will give it a try!

Turns out I'm screwed after all - the new lens doesn't fit.  They must have had different versions, maybe one for tilt and one for non tilt? Pic below shows old on left and new on right. Absolutely won't go in, so... ALL THAT WORK FOR NOTHING.

I have plenty of either type. The short tab one on left in your picture for tilt column or the longer tabl on right in your picture for non-tilt. I would do an even swap if you want to send me your nice non-tilt lens and you cover shipping ($8). I can also sell  you one outright for $20 + $8 s/h.

You won't believe this but I just finished putting the old one back and the steering wheel on when I saw your post!  This is awesome, I just sent you mine and am sending you the tracking number by email.  Thanks!!

Jason to the rescue and what a great gesture —if I do say so myself 

Enjoy

Lee 
See how this works

You have now become our ——63 CDV gearshift inspection glass replacement Expert —and we will be calling on you in the future for this info ( my godfather reference —LOL !) 

Actually all posts on this site go into the library on this site for future reference to help others with the same repair 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

63 Hydra-Matic won't shift out of first

Started by Norm Waters in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Norm Waters 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Hello everyone. I had a perfectly good shifting Hydra-Matic transmission until I elected to fix the leak at the dip stick tube. I just did a quick seal with gasket maker since my current tube is…Continue

Rear brake lock up when cold

Started by Cliff Johnston in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 18 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hi everyone, ever since getting the car back on the road, the rear brakes grab when they are cold and I’m moving at slow speed.  Once I get along the road and stop they are fine. I see some posts…Continue

Vacuum advance

Started by Thomas Yarri in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Thomas Yarri yesterday. 4 Replies

Good afternoon to all my fellow Cadillac owners! I have a question about the vacuum advance on my car. The car is a 64 without a/c and a Rochester carburetor. I noticed that I have vacuum at the port…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service