Spent the day taking dash and instrument cluster apart so I could remove the shift indicator bezel and lens (to replace).  Got the three retaining screws out and thought I was home free - but the bezel and lens won't budge.  Feels like they're still bolted in.  Trying to be gentle while handling yet still apply enough pressure, the piece really won't come out.  There's an odd looking piece of rectangular metal lined up with a rectangular hole in the bezel.  Please tell me this is not screwed in from other side somehow....if it is I have no idea how I could ever remove it.  What am I doing wrong????  Any advice appreciated and thanks.

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, this is what I'm talking about - see photo.  All three screws have been removed but bezel won't budge.  Mystery tab of metal that may be culprit.  If so, how do you access it?

This flat headed bolts has a serrated flange headed nut on the front side that secures the shift quadrant bezel to the painted dash piece over the steering column as seen in pictures below. I believe you are going to need to remove the lower dash cover. loosen the steering column hanger brackets, especially the front, and pull the steering column down and back to expose the nut. I always access this nut and other fasteners with column out and dash out ... but believe that would give you access to the nut on front.

Very helpful, thanks Jason.  I'm furious that nowhere - absolutely nowhere - does the shop manual give any hint that the entire steering column has to be removed to get the g__damn instrument bezel out.  If it did, I would never have wasted 40-odd dollars on a new shift bezel lens.  IF ANYONE WANTS THE SHIFT BEZEL LENS PM ME, IT'S YOURS.

Well, the column doesn't have to be removed, just lowered a bit. If you have not already dropped the lower dash cover below the column there are just 3 Phillips Screws, 5 7/16" bolts and 1 star screw to drop and disconnect the ashtray harness. From there you are only looking at 2 cradle bracket bolts that hold the steering column firmly in place against the column. Loosen the bottom a tad, and and loosen the top more.. might need to remove. Then gently/firmly pull back on column until it clears the collar lip, then  let it drop down just enough to get access to that nut.  There should be a need a lot of couulum movement ... pulling intoward you about 1/2" and dropping about 1" or so. It will be attached at the steering gear via the rag joint and it will have some give for the movement, but not a lot so you don't want to just jerk the column back and out.

I'm amazed you got that far with the instrument cluster and all still in the dash so I wouldn't let a bit more work stop you. 

Thanks Jason.  I did take the bottom off and the way mine is set up there is an odd bolt (not the usual hex pattern) with rounded edges that none of my wrenches can manage...plus the angle is almost impossible to get access from above which it needs, can't be done from bottom.  The screw is set so high up I guarantee all I would accomplish is to ruin my steering in some way and never get it back right.  I notice not all of the shift bezels have this...there's one on ebay that is just the three screws, probably from a later incarnation of the cars.  Somebody realized how totally ludicrous this design was I guess.  Too late for my car.  I gave up and put the lower dash cover back.  I will have that clear shift bezel lens on Ebay until the day I die - nobody ever buys my stuff.  How wonderful.

I guess I'm confused by the "odd bolt (not the usual hex pattern)" statement.  Once lower dash panel is removed and column is pulled out and dropped you should see the flang head nut as seen in my picture on the tilt column. The non-tilt has a tab built into the outer chrome bezel but a similar attachment. 

When I took the lower cover off, I could see the bracket and a hanging device, sort of a hinge on one side and a bolt on the other, holding the column up.  There was a bolt on the underside that would not budge, so I looked above and saw the weirdly shaped nut holding it down on the topside.  With flashlight I could see the bolt we're talking about holding the bezel.  But I could not get the oddly shaped nut holding the hanger for the column off for anything, not at that angle or with conventional wrenches.  Even if I had removed it, the space was so tight I doubt I could have gotten access to the bezel bolt by lowering the column an inch.  It's buried in there.  Amazing the shop manual makes no reference to any of this in the "removing the instrument bezel" section.  Bad design, period.

The lens is on Ebay (where it will remain for the next 40 years), if anyone wants it:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/324629774754

That nut is tack welded to the bracket. You have to loosen from the bolt side. See pictures of lower and upper bracket with tack welded nut and the bolt to loosen/remove below:

Boy, does that explain a lot - picture #2 is my exact same setup.  I'll give it another try today going from underneath.  This is really helpful - thanks so much, Jason!

Success!  I was able to lower the column without touching the floor brace - glad because the rubber boot is on tight and didn't want to crack that or mess it up.  I got the lens out and am repainting the bezel.  THANK YOU for all the help - I never would have gotten the job done without it.

I feel your frustration with your repair —but this site will get you thru any and all issues you will encounter with anything that you will not find anyplace else on the planet regarding your 63-64 Classic Antique Cadillac
When a repair stops being fun - time to walk away —think it out  regroup —and come here and get the answer 

The Boys here have dedicated there  lives and  have a passion for the subject and we have the best of the best regarding the knowledge and parts  to get you fixed 

You just have to wait for the Boys to drop in and come around 

A very special constant   award winning place for our year Cadillacs 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

63 Hydra-Matic won't shift out of first

Started by Norm Waters in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Norm Waters 2 hours ago. 7 Replies

Hello everyone. I had a perfectly good shifting Hydra-Matic transmission until I elected to fix the leak at the dip stick tube. I just did a quick seal with gasket maker since my current tube is…Continue

Rear brake lock up when cold

Started by Cliff Johnston in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 18 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hi everyone, ever since getting the car back on the road, the rear brakes grab when they are cold and I’m moving at slow speed.  Once I get along the road and stop they are fine. I see some posts…Continue

Vacuum advance

Started by Thomas Yarri in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Thomas Yarri yesterday. 4 Replies

Good afternoon to all my fellow Cadillac owners! I have a question about the vacuum advance on my car. The car is a 64 without a/c and a Rochester carburetor. I noticed that I have vacuum at the port…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service