Finally a sunny day to drive the Caddy into work!

Alas when I set off down the road, I realized she wasn't shifting from first to any higher range.  I just drove it on Saturday and it was shifting fine.

I checked the fluid level and it was spot on, looked clean and smelled fine.

After work I put it on the hoist and first started with the vacuum modulator.  At idle I'm getting about 15 psi of vacuum from the engine to the modulator, under acceleration about 18psi.  I put the vacuum pump on the modulator and pumped it up to 20 psi and holds for a bit then slowly drops off but not a drastic fall.  No fluid dripping out out of the modulator either.

Replaced the hose between the vacuum pipe and modulator and tested the car on the hoist.  Still no upshift from first.

Next I removed the governor and the weights move freely.

I dropped the pan and found no abnormal debris in the pan and fluid was clean and not burnt.  Filter was installed tightly.

Other than running a bit rich and loading up at idle, the car has been running and driving great.

Any thoughts?

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What model and year is your Cadillac ?

Do you know if you have a Hydromatic or the Turbo 400 trans in your car ?

Did you check the trans fluid —at an idle at operating temp?

Our trans do not shift if the trans fluid is not topped off  so check that ( down a quart or more ) 

If a 64 turbo trans check the vacuum line from the trans to the back of the carb for leaking or damage to the hosing there 

If a 63 check the TV rod on the side of the carb looking for any irregularity there as that rod controls the trans shifting  

Just some basics but a trans repair may be needed after the basics are checked 

Enjoy 

Oops, sorry 1964 Deville with Turbo Hydramatic.

The vacuum line is steel and the rubber connector was good although I replaced it just to be safe.

Fluid was checked at idle and operating temp.

Oh, it was such a stressful day that I forgot to mention that I had made it about a half mile down the road when I realized there was a problem.  I turned back and it seemed like it was quickly losing forward momentum but not noticeably slipping.  Engine wasn't wound out but it was like we were dragging an anchor.  

Failing torque converter perhaps?  I did notice a slight vibration a few weeks ago but I thought it might be a driveline issue but it didn't happen again so I forgot about it.

Tosh, 
It's good news that you don't have slippage, and that your fluid is clean.  You've checked the governor and the modulator, and those are two of the first three things that will cause no-upshift conditions.   The third easy one is your downshift solenoid and downshift switch.  If the solenoid is open or the switch shorted, the detent circuit engage and delay upshifts.  Have you checked this?  
Quickly losing forward momentum means engine braking is on, which means one of the bands is applied.  This is normal for both first and second gears. If you're not getting upshifts,  this means at least the pump pressure is reaching the servos and holding the bands.  Along with no slipping, this means that  the main line circuit is probably AOK, and you have a line misdirect (such as solenoid stuck open or other valve body issue, bad filter on cars with paper elements).  
The symptoms of a bad torque converter are (usually) slippage because of vane failure or stalling at idle  because of lockup.  The converter won't slow shifts by itself without causing slippage because it works independently of shift valve and mainline pressures.  

Mark 

Looks like your tip about the downshift switch got this gentleman smiling again 

Enjoy

Tony 

Looks like he got it figured out himself.  Sometimes you just gotta step away and clear your head to see what's right in front of you, I think this is what happened here.  

Mark 

I do second your thoughts on walking away  and sorting a given issue out 

I often find myself devising an approach to a given problem just before I wake in the morning 

That may be where the thought about— sleeping on it - comes from 

Enjoy 

Thanks Mark!  I'm feeling really good tonight now that I don't have to rebuild a transmission :D

Could be time for a trans shop to trouble shoot the problem as you covered the basics and they  are good 

The turbo hydromatic is a very bullet proof trans with very few issues over the many years I am on the site since 2006 
I do not recall a Turbo hydromatic trans needing to be rebuilt on this site in all that time myself 

A few of the boys on this site have more knowledge about trans issues than myself and should be along in a while for advice 

I would check the gear shift linkage at the end of the steering column ( under the hood )and the linkage on the trans to be sure the car is getting into the Drive gear and not into a lower gear 

Looking for a linkage that may have unattached it self or gotten loose somehow there 

I do know of two cases where the trans linkage on the trans itself got loose and prevented the car from going into gear correctly 

Enjoy

Well today was my lucky day.  I came home with a clearer head and found that the transmission kick down switch was stuck in the energized position.  A little penetrating oil freed it up and the car shifts beautifully again.  Whew!

Tosh

Glad it was an easy fix  for you 

First I have heard of that switch causing  such trans problems but does reinforce what a great trans the Turbo 400 trans is for the long haul regarding reliability 

I kept thinking this has to be something simple knowing how good this trans is 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

1964 Cadillac Deville - TH400 kickdown switch

Started by Louis in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Charles Fares 9 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hello,I am searching for a  TH400 transmission kickdown switch (the one near the carburetor). A new one or in good condition.I already asked Fatsco and US Parts Supply but they don’t have this…Continue

New Gallery

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 11 hours ago. 0 Replies

I am truly fascinated by the  wonderful  inspiring stories behind owning these 63-64 CLASSIC ANTIQUE CADILLACSThey have set the website ON FIRE !!Jason Mr Webmaster your talents regarding the subject…Continue

64 429 Thermostat Housing

Started by Jason A in General Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

Does anyone know where to find a thermostat housing for a 64 429?  Are any cars interchangeable?  Chevy 350 looks identical, but a lil bigger.Thanks,JasonContinue

New photo gallery

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 16 hours ago. 8 Replies

Having trouble posting my picture in the new gallery but managed to get the text right The computer WIZ - I am NOT ! Stay safe my friends Continue

Blog Posts

How to sensibly deal with the Corona Virus

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on March 14, 2020 at 5:02pm 6 Comments

https://theamericanscholar.org/covid-19-a-primer/

I found this very helpful, written by a knowledgeable authority in public health. 

Remember, Viruses are not spread by Cadillacs so get out and drive!

Safe & Healthy travels. 

Jeff Kinzler

1963 Eldorado convertible boot

Posted by Les Eastling on February 27, 2020 at 10:33am 1 Comment

I need a used convertible boot for a 63 Cadillac convertible - condition or color is not an issue since it will be used as a pattern for making a new one. One from either a 62 series convertible or an Eldorado would work. I know I am searching for hen's teeth here... but you never know unless you ask!

Looking for 63 Convertible / Coupe rear side trim

Posted by Gene McIlroy on January 24, 2020 at 12:18pm 0 Comments

Want to find a good straight dent free rear side trim for my 1963 Convertible.  I have both sides but they do not match.  Wanting to get them to match.  I am attaching a photo of the two trim sided that I have really wanting the squared off trim if I can get it.  Let's see what you have,…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service