So I kicked off my 1st rambling ramble last night and will continue with another tonight.  I get pulled into so many projects I have been a bit too silent here on our Chapter Site but I am going to change that!  As we ramp up our Cadillac & LaSalle Club Membership Drive starting in October, I want our 63/64 Chapter to lead the way and would  want to re-energize our website with new activity. 

Everyone is encouraged to ramble back at my ramble or do your own ramble!  Let's hear from everyone! Tell us what you are doing ... or not doing! 

Tonight's topic ... WIRING HARNESSES!

So.. today I worked on Parts Car #58, removing the broken windshield you see in the back (which is a shame as the 4 Window Sedans (6239, 6339, 6389) has the same windshield as the convertibles, but this one was cracked and once cracked they go in the trunk and add to the junk weight at the metal yard.  The dash was also removed but thought I would ramble a bit about the wiring as I think many people have a notion there are very few harnesses and they are all the same!  

When parting a car one of the last things I do before pulling the dash out is to fish all of the body and door wiring out, separate and put up.  I always smile when I hear someone say they want "the wiring harness" as there area lot of harnesses in these cars and they are different body style to body style, body series to body series, model year top model year, and of course there are different harnesses for different power options!

Down the left side laying on the ground in picture above you are looking at front door, body feed, rear door, trunk feed, trunk, and trunk light harnesses. There was also a seat harness, and the front left door wiring harness still behind the dash. 

Now, looking at the picture bellow you see these 5 harnesses wrapped up. No, the colored tape is not random.

I have several layers of color coding to help me quickly find trim/molding and also wiring, and to just ID a year.   For wiring or anything where there is a left or a right,  blue means left and red means right
So on the body and door harnesses the blue tells me it is the left side. So what is up with the orange. Orange has always meant 1963, for something singular like the trunk light harness or trunk light wire where they might be a difference from 64.  Got that! LOL  Wait till get get glimpse at my main color coding for all body styles. Pink is convertible, red is coupe (hard top), white is 4 window sedan, green is 6 window sedan and on and on and one. Yes I ran out of tape (although I do also use colored wire ties), and then you get into a two layered colored coding ... blue/red is Series 62 Coupe, Blue/white is Series 62 Sedan ...  It is a 25 year in the making color coding scheme that works for me. I have tried recently showing this to my wife Cheryl... she rolls her eyes at me!

Here are 5 of the 8 harnesses running down left side. Remember there is still the front left door power window (still behind dash) and the power seat harness (already removed), and this car had power trunk, so there is a special green wire that also runs down the left side that you will see in a minute.

Below is the left (blue) and right (red) body and door feed harnesses wrapped and ready to go in the box. I note VIN on all boxes, and often make notes on the box, and often take pictures I do with the rest of the car.  The trunk light and trunk light wire go into a separate box.

So after door and body feed connectors are removed, the entire dash assembly  with the main dash wiring is removed leaving the main left front door and right front door harnesses still up against the firewall. I will Ramble about removing the dash at a later date... lets stick to wiring tonight.

With dash removed and all of its connectors to the body and door feeds, the left and right front door power window harnesses basically fall into your lap!  See pics below of the front door power window harnesses.

But wait a minute.. what is that harness in the middle? That is the power trunk harness, needed to send power to the trunk opener and back to the tell-tell light in the dash. Note the closeups in 2nd and 3rd picture. It basically use a tap-in Y connector to access power at the point where the power window harnesses get 12 volts at from the dash harness feed. 

With the front door power window harnesses for many years I often would just dump them in a box of left fronts and right fronts and  note with tape, etc the year and/or body style they come off of. These days they usually go into their own box with VIN # as seen below.

So to end this wiry ramble on wiring I will leave you with some of the wiring harnesses I came up with some time back when I had just had my 2nd cup of coffee and someone asked me to rattle off the wiring harnesses in their Sedan de Ville.. I am sure I am missing a few!

- Main Dash harness
- Forward Lamp Harness
- Engine cranking harness
- Alternator to regulator harness
- Starter harness to engine cranking harness (1964)

From there going back through the car you will have different power window harnesses depending on whether or not you have power vent windows or not.Here are some dash rearward harness prices:

- left driver power window harness
- right front passenger window harness
- left rear door feed harness
- right rear door feed harness
- left body feed harness to trunk
- main trunk harness to tail lamps, license plate lights and gas tank
- trunk light harness
- right body feed harness including to speaker
- power seat 2 section power seat harness
- rear courtesy light harness

Options:
If you have these options you will also have additional harnesses.
- power trunk release
- rear window defroster
- cruise control
- sentinel headlight control
- Guidematic auto dimming

Views: 77

Reply to This

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion on Tuesday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith on Tuesday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service