Hey everyone,  I am one of the newest members to the club and I am looking for a suitable vehicle to purchase.  I found this one for sale in Montana (link  https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/75623973)  I realize that I am a rookie when it comes to looking and accessing one of these beautiful cars..so I would appreciate any input from you experienced people.  I you have some time could you take a look at the pictures on the link and let me know what you think?  Thx  Pat Westphal

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks ok but no hi-res photos are provided. When you click on the magnifying glass another photo practically the same size pops up. The car has A/C vents but does not have Climate Control in the dash. This indicates the car was possible cobbled together so the "37,250 miles" is suspect. Dual exhaust was added and driveline work has been performed but curiously not one photo of the engine/engine bay.

All things considered, it could be a good car for the money but best to have a knowledgeable inspector check it out thoroughly 1st. 

"not one photo of the engine/engine bay"  ...But about 50 of the front, front qtr, rear and a door open with 5 degree angles of each other! LOL.  I had commented offline and the resolution and lack of anything regarding the engine bay were among several of my issues.  It is obviously not a 37K mile car (obviously rolled over... but probably only once) and has had some "work" over the years on interior and underside. The AC thing was a good catch.  Just hard to tell form 800x low/medium res pictures taken from 15 feet back.  I would normally zoom straight into the pedals to look at the wear but all you see here is fuzz if you save off line and zoom in.

Jason,  I was disapponted in that also but that was going to be a requirement from them before I was ever going to commit to a trip to Montana.  As I spent my entire GM career in the Powertrain Division the 429.THM400 combination is a major reason that I am focused on wanting a 64 Deville or Eldorado.  With my engine experience I will be able to hear,see, smell, and feel things in the powertrain combination that many others will not.  Yes the idle comment grabbed my interest - I needed to experience that engine to see if it was just a "Carb adjustment" or something more like a bad cylinder.  Thanks for the feedback - Pat

Do not  at all like - that it  the add says  the car does not idle as a Cadillac should and needs a carb adjustment — just seller BS 

That could be a minor or major engine issue that needs attention or a major  engine rebuild 

In these years an engine usually would require a major overhaul with over 100,000 miles which Is surely the case here unlike newer cars that go 200,000 miles today 

Ask to have a mechanic look over the  entire car—- do a compression test ( to determine engine soundness )   and tell you what it may need which will always make the price negotiable 

The price is a bit high for a car that may need considerable engine and additional  other work to be road worthy 

Price is reasonable to me if the car needs nothing only 

A lot of pictures to show the car has very little rust issues and is in good shape  which makes it a good car to invest in if bought at the right price knowing what it needs to make it a sound road worthy car 

Brake work in most cases is required at a minimum 

Need more info on the condition of the engine for sure  - if the AC  and heat is working - windows are working - top is working and all other creature comforts work 

Tires look old and need new 

I love all black Cadillacs —as I had a 62 that was all black that was the start of my  endless LOVE of early 60’s  air conditioned Cadillacs convertibles 

I think the car looks very sound and knowing what you need to invest in it to bring it up to your needs will help you determine if the project is desirable for you to jump into 

That said — owning one of these cars is truly a very very amazing experience that causes a commotion where ever you take it while giving you one of the very best Cadillac rides in amazing style and performance 

This is a luxury Hot Rod —with a 429 cu in engine and 340 HP stock —-with looks  that Kill !!!!

That should help you some 

Enjoy 

Thanks to those who fed back comments - I really appreciate those and points out the things that I need to look for in these vehicles.  Now for the rest of the story - I called them back yesterday as the person who knew the most about the car was not there on Monday and found out that the person who owned the car changed their mind and no longer wanted to sell the vehicle.  This is frustrating for me because that was the first question I asked (and I asked it twice in fact) as I realized that looking at vehicle on the internet has that as a possibility.  So back to square one, I am actively looking for a 64 Deville red, black or blue.  And the search goes on...   again thanks for the feedback - that is what makes being a part of this club worth it!

The ad is still up. They might be waiting for that eager buyer who doesn't ask questions.

Hello, Are you looking for a fixer upper or one  ready to roll?

I am looking for one ready to roll as I don't have the tools or shop to put a vehicle on a lift or to pull an engine/ trans to put it on a stand to work on it.With that said I am fine with doing work on a car such as switching out drum brakes for disc, updating the distributor to electronic ignition, and things like that.If fact I expect to do update/maintenance items on a 57 year old vehicle.  I just don't have the equipment to do much of the heavy things myself.  I do have access to other people who do that type of work but that is more $$$.  BTW I am a retired engineer with 34 years at GM and started at the Cadillac Engineering building in 1985, so I guess you could say I have a little bit of inside knowledge of the vehicle.

Love that you have a background with GM regarding these cars and you want and need one for yourself 

That says a lot to me about the quality of the build that went into these cars back in the day that you know and were a part of 

Enjoy 

One thing I added offline I forgot to mention, those look like Flowmaster Mufflers with the dual exhaust setup. I had them on my 64 CDV for a while when I was running duals it it was LOUD!  If you want to hear the engine and have the hot rod sound from the 390/429 they will give you a deep throaty sound. If you are after a more subdued Cadillac sound this is not it!

Noticed it's missing the boomerang trim under the headlight on the drivers side. Also it's got Fleetwood filler panels out back and the emblems on the rear quarters aren't present. I think you could pick up a really nice DeVille convertible for about $18,000.00 if you keep a lookout. Dealers like this always charge more than it's worth. Check the private market. 

Chris nailed it! 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

New Batch of Embroidered Iron-On 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Patches - $4 each

Started by Jason Edge in Chapter Discussion. Last reply by mark zimmerman 4 hours ago. 10 Replies

As noted in our August 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter:Around 6 years…Continue

Tags: Available, Patches, Chapter, Cadillac, 1963/64

63 coupedebille fuel pump issues

Started by Daniel Grande in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Daniel Grande 12 hours ago. 9 Replies

I have a 63 cadillac and I took it to a mechanic for a motor tune up long story short the fuel pump gave out and hes tried twice to order it and he says it didnt fit the original pump is smaller on…Continue

64 deville choke heat tube

Started by Thomas Yarri in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Thomas Yarri 13 hours ago. 2 Replies

Hey guys hope you’re having a great day. I have a question about the choke heater tube. Mine is loose at the intake and seems to be causing a vacuum leak. Any thoughts on how to seal this up?

Update on fuel pump

Started by Daniel Grande in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 18 hours ago. 0 Replies

I'm still looking thru land and sea for this fuel pump anyone out there know what size engine I have here are some pics of the stamps on the block I found to make sure my engine is a 390 because the…Continue

Blog Posts

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Thank you Kurt re: VIN location

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 19, 2021 at 1:07pm 0 Comments

I just wanted to say a thank you to Kurt for steering me to the tech tips page on V.I.N. locations.  Excellent information.  Thanks a bundle.

Robert Pellow

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service