A while back I asked if anyone had ever came accross a new seat foam kit for our cars and no one had,. I had just started putting my new interior together for my 63 convertible. I never did so I made my own.and here is how I put the rear seat together.
first a bit of back ground info. I live in Canada and I was quoted $5000 to do my interior. I located a guy in Vancouver Washington that had done a lot of these cars and already had the patterns made up he quoted me $1200 US if I shipped him my interior panels and the leather covers off my seats. sounded easy enough as I had done some seat work before. I shipped him my panels less the stainless trim and the seat covers.he sent samples and I picked out the leather I wanted and about 3 months later I had my stuf back and it looked great. due to other commitment the project laid dorment for about 5 years.
I have attached some picture of the panels when I got them back and after I attached the polished trim.
I then started on the rear seat back, maybe not my best decision as its more complex than the seat bottom.here it is when I started I took lots of pictures along the way, but won't post them all, but if anyone wants a picture of a certain are in the future let me know
yes it looks pretty crusty right now
underneath that was a cotton like layer with an extra layer at the top
below that was burlap with some fine wires running thru it. I have no idea what the wire did, but it was rusted and just fell apart.
on the top edge was a narrow band of burlap to hold the seat frame thickness,
then the fun began, I had talked to an upholstery guy and he said use 4 inch thick q16 foam so I tried that and found it was too thick to fit the cover, so I cut it to 2 inches thick using my wifes electric turkey carving knife sprayed down with silicone spray , that worked like a damn. after gluing cloth to the edges and cutting it to match the original I found it was still a bit thick and the foam was so dense it did not fill out the leather cover squares and they where flat, so I made some adjustments. I removed the previous layers of cotton batting and glued some les dense foam into the back side of the squares on the leather cover.
here it is with cover just installed and with the buttons and chrome trim back on. I think with a bit of sun time it will dewrinkle the minor wrinkles and look just fine. one more thing. when the guy made my covers he heat embossed the cadi logo in just below the rear speaker well I hope I didn`t bore everyone to much. I have recently finished the rear seat lower and have started on the front seat lower. I can post picture of how that went if anyone has interest. thanks.
Just amazing work. Not that expensive either.
Having done what you did this past winter. I know how much work it is. Don't be concerned about wrinkles in the leather. A few hours in the sun and they will all but disappear. And any that remain can easily be dealt with with a heat gun. I am so glad you are finally getting your convertible completed. I know it takes time. My younger brother has been restoring a 1949 Cadillac Convertible for the past 18 years and he just this week took it for a test drive and the NOS top heater hose blew. I guess rubber ages just like the rest of us. I just hope non of us blow out.
thanks Russ for the comment and doug for the encouragement. are you coming to the swap meet this year.