After 25 years, I finally have another 1964 Cadillac de Ville Convertible!  She is en route right now and will be home in a few days.  I am so excited and I barely stand it!

Any advice or recommendations for anti-theft devices or precautions?  (My previous '64 Conv. was stolen in the middle of the night and recovered by police the next day in Pocoima, CA completely stripped).

Anyway, I want to do what I can to prevent this one from being stolen.   Kill switch?   Hood Lock?   Car alarm?   All of the above?

Thanks for any advise you may have.

Very Respectfully,

Michael Vogler 

Views: 137

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Micheal

Great looking 64 convert and much good luck with her 

I know what a unique experience a 64  convert can be and a favorite car of my  very own 

I remove the coil wire and use a chain and paddle lock to lock the hood closed when on the road 
Car will not start and will not allow access under the hood  to see why 

Not much can stop a tow truck I would think 

Lojack ( not sure of spelling ) is a tracking system that allows law enforcement to locate the car quickly

The fact that the stolen car was disassembled the very next day sounds like a  pro chop shop  very illegal operation in action 

Sorry for your first loss but do rejoice with the new arrival showing up 

Enjoy

The new fresh top and rear widow give the car a very cared for look 

Love it !!

Enjoy 

I ran a wire from the coil to distributor side to a switch and then to ground. This grounds the coil and no chance of hot wiring it. 

Love the car and lots of insurance cover.

If they want it, they'll take it.

Chances of it happening twice would be slim.

Kevin,,, unles you live in cities like LA, DALLAS, etc,, being hit multiple times is a reality, not an exception,, have been broken into 3 times (damage and personal property theft every time) over 4 years and a complete truck theft.  given the interest in Law enforcment in more serious crimes.. they just dont have the time.. my truck was stolen in dallas,, and found 2 months later in a hotel parking lot.  i called the police, told them i could see kentucky fried chicken bags and cups, sunglasses, dope in a plastic bag,, all th9ings that DID NOT belong to me before i got in to the car,, i asked they ocme take fingerprints etc, because you could see the tool they usded to strip out the ingnition in my 04 diesel, so my thinking was, they have recordes somewhere on these people.  Well, they said they just didint have the time. I called he insurance company and asked them to send the police to print, he said same thing, I called police back, said, hey, come print my truck,, they said, unless the truck was used in a subsequent incident, where bodily injury occurs, they simply dont have th time to investigate a simple car theft... given that level of concern, you know damn well, the crooks know that, and they have no fear of doing it over and over again,,, Just my opinion from experience.

so if the OP does find a theft system,, let us know,, i have a viper in my truck now, but i really dont know how well they will work,, maybe on a amateur crook, but those pro operatoins problably have a hookup to shut it off..

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Factory AC clutch fan needed

Started by Chris Gill in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 4 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hi folks,My clutch fan died so I desperately need a new one. Unfortunately it will take a week or more to order from the usual suppliers so I am hoping someone on here has a manufacturer name and…Continue

Replacing Front Door Window Chrome Channel

Started by Michael Vogler in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 4 hours ago. 1 Reply

List Mates,My '64 De Ville Conv. front door window chrome trim needs to be replaced.  The chrome on both front door window his getting a little bit of pealing off.  I have the chrome replacement…Continue

Vacuum advance

Started by Thomas Yarri in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 23 hours ago. 1 Reply

Good afternoon to all my fellow Cadillac owners! I have a question about the vacuum advance on my car. The car is a 64 without a/c and a Rochester carburetor. I noticed that I have vacuum at the port…Continue

1963-1964 Convertible Parts

Started by Charles Fares in For Sale yesterday. 0 Replies

1963-64 Convertible top switch with chrome bezel and mounting retainer clip, tested and working, nice chrome, $65. 1963-64 Convertible rubber A-pillar seals LH and RH pair (repops) $50 the pair.…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service