Long story short, I've replaced brakes etc which don't work! Did everything and finally found out that some of my vacuum lines were disconnected do to cracked ends etc and I've noticed that one vacuum line is missing.

Could any of you owners of 1963 Cdillac with an AC Unit please take and post some photos of the vacuum lines coming out of the firewall and where they're connected to??
Would be great if you could take the air filter out of the carb for the better view!

Sincerely
Mack

Views: 792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It does have the propotioning valve under the MC...
I'm going to bleed it one more time, one line at the time, crossing my fingers.

On my 72 chevy truck, the proportioning valve must be locked out, in order to bleed the brakes.  Check with the manufacturer of yours, to see if there is a procedure to bleed the brakes with their product installed.

I'll check it out however I've talked to the tech support of ABS Brakes System who sold me that kit and didn't mention anything about it...

All I am going to do next is to bleed every wheel one more time and IF it doesn't help then I'll disconnect MC and plug to see if it gives me the hard pedal! Then if it is hard, I'll check it by disconnecting the prop valve, if it's still hard then I'll disconnect and plug all outlets at wheels, maybe this will help me locate the problem...
I am already thinking about the faulty caliper at one of the wheels.
When bleeding brakes
Do not let the MC get low on fluid at any time
Keep it full as you pump the fluid thru the lines

Enjoy

Have you changed out all of the rubber brake lines, to include the rear as well? 

Last thing to check is that the piston in the master cylinder is wrong, or that the push rod is out of adjustment.  The push rod will travel in before it starts to push in on the master cylinder piston. It will give the feel of a soft brake pedal.  Seen it happen once, and it was baffling for days before it was figured out. A deep holed piston was installed, when a shallow hole piston was needed.

Google brake booster push rod adjustment to see how to get the correct measurement on the adjustable push rod.

Feels like Russ is on to something with the brake booster rod adjustment as you do have a new one installed

Enjoy
Mack
Did you understand Russ's note about the back of the MC plunger surface
Some of the plungers have a flat back surface and others have an indentation at the back of the plunger
If you have the chance check your old one to the new one
Depending on which one your new MC has you will have to readjust the rod in the brake booster to have the MC work as intended

I keep thinking the MC is not working as it should so this solution seems like it could be the answer to your issue to me

Enjoy
Mack
You may have to change your MC depending on the shape of the back surface of its plunger to have the brake system work correctly
Compare the old MC plunger to the new one to see what you had before and what you have now

Russ is indicating the flat back plunger is correct for our cars and the indented one will not work

Enjoy
I know what you guys mean
Here's the photo of that 'old' MC. New one look the same.
I think I'll take it out tomorrow to measure the depth of the MC and the Boosters rod's length to see if there's any unwanted empty space between those two.

Well, and it supposed to be the 'bolt on' conversion kit... Haha
Attachments:
Mack
Both the MC and the brake booster have to be the same brand
They both have to be Delco Marain ( most avaiable and cheeper ) or both Bendix as they used two different kinds in our year cars
You said something about the MC being replaced by someone
Did they give you the correct match for your booster at that time ?

Enjoy
Mack
If you have the old brake booster examine the old and new to see any differences in look and brand and the rod length you are looking at

If both are the same brand then i would think the the rod length is the fix

If you had a leak of some kind in the braking system ( or a bad MC ) the peddle would go to the floor and you would see and smell brake fluid coming out of someplace under the car or on the back of the tires ( bad brake cylinder )

Hang in - we will get to the bottom of this
I am looking foward to the solution to this problem

Enjoy

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

is there a body manual?

Started by john kilbourne in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 34 minutes ago. 1 Reply

I have an original shop manual for the 64 deville. Is there a separate printed body manual?Continue

wanted, '64 tilt turn signal switch WITH cornering contacts.

Started by john kilbourne in Wanted to Buy 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

I have the regulra one.Continue

Convertible Top Pump Leak

Started by Lee Martin in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Mark S Anderson 3 hours ago. 8 Replies

Does anyone have experience with leaky pump or connections to pump?  I have a slow one and it's driving me crazy trying to see where the fluid is coming out.  It is definitely from the pump area (not…Continue

Fuel gauge access

Started by Tosh Dickenson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tosh Dickenson 3 hours ago. 14 Replies

Do I really have to remove the dash pad to access the back of the instrument panel..specifically the fuel gauge.  1964 DevilleContinue

Blog Posts

Electrical

Posted by Anthony Boles on August 8, 2020 at 5:46pm 0 Comments

My 1964 Cadillac electrical system is running around 17 volt which is to high,the alternator, battery and the voltage regulator was replaced but the voltage is still to high, could it be the pig tail that plugs into the voltage regulator. 

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 10 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service