Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone could help me on some issues i'm having with my cadillac here's an general idea on what's going on, first thing first, my cadillac has some electrical problems that needs to be addressed, when the headlights are on the turning signals seem to be off set when the right turning signal is on it flashes normal with no problem but the left one seems to stay on with no flash, when i turn the headlights off both turning signals work somewhat, the left one seems to flash slower than the right, the rear left turning signal does not work but the right one does. it's a hit and miss on the rear lights of the car signals/brake light/tail fin lights i'm guessing its a relay or some chewed wiring that's my guess but i would like to know if it could be something else before i strip the car apart to look for a loose wire, i've noticed that it could be a loose connections were the bulbs are placed in i'm not sure ooor, it could be in the steering column i don't know i'm honestly confused wiring is not my specialty.

A little background story on my cadillac, i bought it two states over in illinois last year it took me over 5 months to finally get a title for it the guy told me all that was wrong with it was it had a small transmission leak that he recently sprung a leak while he was driving it last year i thought what the hell she's worth it, so i put it up on the lift and realized that was a lie turns out the ''small' leak covered the whole transmission, layers of dirt and oil has been piled up from the leak so i figured it was a seal that broke so i ordered the front and rear seal for the transmission hopefully when i get to it it's not something serious but anyway the car had been through alot so i figured if i could restore her to original it would be worth it the car is the most solid cadillac i've seen in a very long time the worst rust spots on the car is the trunk lip were the weather stripping sits, the floor pans are solid the fenders are solid the trunk pans are solid the frame is super solid so no body work needs to be done to it apparently the car has been sitting in a very dry state in the US as far as i know no bondo work has been done to it so lucky me right?.

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If leaking between the engine and trans and is motor oil could be the rear engine crankshaft seal (repairable in the car) or the back of the valve covers dripping

Enjoy

i will clean all the grounds first, then i will figure out where the leaking is coming from then i will go from there but first i will print the ground strap locations Mr Jason Edge provided us with. i kinda figured that the grounds needed a good cleaning but wasn't sure if that would do the trick, thank you! 

On our year cars regarding any electrical issue ALWAY start by cleaning the grounds ( earth -we are international here !! )
You should be amazed as i have been how many electrical systems come back to life just doing that which is always a delight as it is a CHEEP rewarding fix and an indication of the quality material that went into these cars back in the day ( i just love it when i can use that expression LOL!!!

Enjoy)
If the car is new to you i would recommend you aquire a Service Manual for your year
The detail and quality of the info in the manual is one of the best i have seen
I promise you will feel more --intermit-- with the car once you read and enjoy the manual

Enjoy

sadly only book i own i was thinking about purchasing another book on it thanks 

hanks for the kind words Tony. I learned out of necessity.  I just don't like electrical work.

Haris, your next purchase should be the 63 shop manual. There is one on ebay right now for 25.00 Located in Canada, so shipping will be a bit more than normal. its still a deal at 40.00

I'm cheating tomorrow,  I have a semi retired auto sparkie within a 100 metres of our house..... so the Fleetwood goes in tomorrow to get a bit of a tidy up and once over... He charges $30.00 an hour, so cheap as chips and does excellent work..... what's really sad is, back when I was a mechanic way back in the 80's, I worked on Rolls Royce, Merecedes, Jags...pretty much all the crap but I was dead set next to useless when it came to electrics. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Back to Starter

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser 2 hours ago. 36 Replies

Ok,  short refresher,  last dec i relpaced starter w rebuilt from usa parts.  and even then,  after short runs where i got up to temp, if i shutvcar off, and then tried to start, it would drag…Continue

Been busy

Started by Clovis in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 3 hours ago. 3 Replies

I haven't spent much time on my old cars this summer. My latest project has been a gazebo on the new island. I'll be ready Wednesday to start putting on shingles. Tomorrow its facia and some more…Continue

Here's some what a update on the engine!

Started by Haris dizdarevic in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 14 hours ago. 7 Replies

Continue

Blog Posts

HVAC Vacuum Valve Clip-need the one for the Power Control side

Posted by Norman Silverman on September 17, 2018 at 8:15pm 4 Comments

Hi.

Update:

I removed both 7 nipple vacuum valves and called my buddy who owns a machine shop. Tomorrow we'll re-surface the valve faces and then I'll reinstall them. HOWEVER, the one that comes out easily and comes apart with no rivet is on the Power module side. It installs on one side with a small bolt, and on the other it is held on by a clip, WHICH IS MISSING ON MY CAR. I am going to assume it is the same clip that is used on the Control Module side. Anybody got one? Happy…

Continue

7 vacuum valve-need a good one or someone to recondition mine

Posted by Norman Silverman on September 15, 2018 at 5:44pm 12 Comments

So, I've put my 7 vacuum valve from the control head side to the test, and it failed. I looked at the instructions for re-conditioning it and unless I am missing something, the instructions are missing something (about how to take off the clip that provides the tension that holds the two pieces together). 

In any case, I can't do this particular repair so I am looking for a new valve (not likely), or a good re-conditioned one, or someone who has done this before and would do mine for…

Continue

Mosiac Cadillac emblem Table

Posted by Dana G Cooper on August 30, 2018 at 10:48pm 11 Comments

Wanted to share a picture of a table my wife made for me to display with our 63 Coupe Deville. 

Inside door handle thread size

Posted by Michael Jarnagin on August 23, 2018 at 4:31pm 1 Comment

Anyone know the thread size on the inside door handle bolts mine are missing any info much appreciated 

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service