Hello everybody,

unfortunately one bad lifter is making noise again in my 1963 390cui (passenger side, next to the firewall) and cannot be stabilized with oil changes or additives.

So I decided to install new lifters and ordered an interesting tool at Summit, that allows you to grab the old lifters through the push rod openings as shown in the shop manual without removing the intake manifold .

My question about the lifters is:

Do you recommend to soak the lifters with oil before installation?
The shop manual says nothing about it and I am not that familiar with the old flat tappet camshafts.

To rule out a worn out camshaft as far as possible, I will check the cam with an endoscope through the holes and especially the running surfaces of the old lifters.

For installation the running surfaces of the new lifters will be lubricated in the direction of the camshaft with MoS2 Assembly-Lube.

What about the procedure at first start of the engine after reassembly?

The shop manual only says:"operate engine to operating temperature..."
What du you recommend? Start engine and then keep running at higher rpm, until the rattling stops? Then do a testdrive?

Finally, of course, an oil change.

Thanks in advance for some recommendations!

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never installed lifters before but do remember reading Jason's experience written in the September 2021 Newsletter. https://app.box.com/s/is1187hwdgd1bk2ycgqdkjlo82yo0ukh

Do examine the rocker arms for wear in the cylinder making noise —on both sides first ( push rod and valve ) 

Check the push rods for out of round by rolling them on glass 

They can sometimes bend and cause clearance issues 

Good chance the lifter is the issue often can be dirt 

Have you used Marvelous Mystery Oil or a Rislone product for lifters noise first ?

You want to run the engine above 1000 RPMs at engine start up for 15 minutes to polish any new metal to metal contact surfaces 

Be sure to use the correct oil for a flat tappet cam which needs some thought these days as not available off most auto store shelves unless you add  the correct Zinc additive to it 

Enjoy 

Enjoy 

Seafoam is another product to consider using in you oil first 

Enjoy 

Thank you, I have used products for lifter noise several times - and it worked for most of the noisy lifters. Only one lifter is still making noise like in Jason´s Video, posted in the 2021 newsletter.

Due to the low mileage of the engine, I have high hopes that it is only a clogged lifter.
It sems the heads have never been off and so the original gaskets don´t cover the push rod holes, like on Jason´s engine. He had trouble swapping the lifters through the holes.

The oil I am using is perfect for our old engines: Liqui Moly 10W40 with MoS2 solid lubricant. It already has got the high Zinc content but is only available in Europe, as far as I know.

regarding possible cam wear 

remove the valve cover - start the engine and and stay at an idle and compare  and measure the rocker arm travel of the ticking valve lifter to the others valves of the same kind to observe there  length of travel 

if less travel the cam could have a wear issue 

Enjoy 

If you have isolated the noisy lifter you could just replace that lifter. I would also replace the push rod with that lifter. You can buy the lifters individually and I think the push rods also. I just used cam lube and squirted a heavy coating across the cam lobes. I had let the new lifters sit in a container of oil for several days before installing but still gobbed a good amount of lifter lube around them when I installed them. 

Hello everbody,

some news about my lifter noise!

After removing the valve cover, I was able to immediately identify the bad lifter. It was the only rocker arm that clicked when touching it with my finger.

But after removing the rocker arms there was a bad surprise: someone must have changed lifters before and not properly seated the pushrod into its seat. So it bent.

Appart from the broken pushrod, the lifters are all in very good condition.For testing, I squeezed them in the oil bath until they hardened.

Now I have ordered a new pushrod (same size, length) and will then put everything back together.

Attached some pics from my surprise

Attachments:

Stefan
You  found your problem with the bent push rod causing your valve noise 

I would leave the lifter that is in the engine—- if you assemble the rocker arms with the new push rod —and the clicking goes away 

The reason is —I would not want to reseat a new lifter—- on the  old cam lobe —unless it would be necessary as seating parts creates metal to metal wear in the process  and that lifter is seated correctly already 

If you then find that the old lifter is still making noise then it is part of the problem and needs to be replaced

Looks like you got a bit lucky by your surprise 

As Always —-Just my 2 cents ! 

She runs again :-)

I reassembled the push rods and the rocker arms, which was a bit difficult to get all eight push rods at the same time into their rocker arms. but finally it worked.

New gasket and then ignition.... YES! it runs very smooth with no ticking.

The test drive was very relaxed. She glides along whisper-quiet and it seems that she has got a little more power now.

Fantastic!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Wheel alignment data

Started by Sammy in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Ray Schick 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

Just ordered new tires for my 63. As the front wheels have reasonable wear I want to align them or at least have them aligned, but not sure if the alignment data in our shop manual are still the…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

1964 Cadillac neutral safety switch

Started by DAN SPURR in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 13 hours ago. 1 Reply

I'm looking for a 1964 neutral safety switch part # GM1993653. Any one have one for sale or what can I use? Anyone have any solutions?ThanksDanContinue

Weather stripping vendors

Started by Terry Lange in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Robert Alan Shannon 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

I am getting ready to order roof rail weather stripping and rear door window leading edge seals for my '63 Series 62 6 window sedan model 6229.  I've been on the websites for Rubber The Right Way,…Continue

Blog Posts

Trunk Open and Lock Mechanism is in Closed Position

Posted by Chris Anderson on September 13, 2022 at 7:14pm 7 Comments

While working on my trunk lock on 64 Cadillac, I mistakenly closed the locking mechanism while the trunk was open.  Is there an easy way to manually release the lock back to the open position?

Thanks.

Fuel Pump Failure

Posted by Jon Shields on August 6, 2022 at 6:48am 4 Comments

Hello,

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia and my 64 sedan de ville is stuck in the garage due to failed mechanical fuel pump. The first after market mechanical fuel pump lasted a few years before it failed & left me stranded 5 hours from home. A hire car and tow got us home. On inspection, I noticed a valve not seated within the housing. I was optimistic, pressed it into place and assumed the pump was good to go. But alas, no. From what I can now determine, the diaphragm pushrod…

Continue

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Posted by Balachne on May 31, 2022 at 7:00am 3 Comments

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Introduction

To achieve an excellent result of vehicle restoration, it is essential to  manage this task as one manages an industrial project.

To do this we will use a certain formalism of project management and therefore start by defining the need. It is from this that we will deduce the scope, then the time of execution of the…

Continue

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Posted by Patrick Westphal on April 12, 2022 at 1:35pm 1 Comment

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service