I have recently become the owner of a 1963 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty which is very different from from my other "fun" car, a 1964 Austin Mini. I have been working through some minor problems but one in particular has me baffled regarding the power assist brakes. I lose the power assist when I take car out of park. I have replaced the main vacuum line as well as a few smaller vacuum lines under the hood. Knowing that vacuum is used to release the parking brake I checked all the vacuum lines under the dash and everything is connected and looks like it is in good shape. When I put it back in park the brake pedal comes back up and it seems that the power assist is working again.

I am hoping that this is something others have experienced and you can steer me in the right direction. I love the car and it gets plenty of thumbs up cruising down Main St. in our little New England town of Falmouth, MA. Oh, and although many have suggested it, the Mini will not fit in the trunk of the Fleetwood!

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Glen Carliss

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you. You have made some great suggestions. The service manual was the first thing I bought after the car. I couldn't imagine trying to figure some of this stuff out without it.

I will get back at it in a week or so. I hate it when work gets in the way of play!

Do not disconnect ,the vacuum line at the back of the intake ,that goes to the brake booster ,only the one that goes thru the firewall into the cabin ,to supply the vacuum required for the systems working off , the vacuum there
Getting the engine to perform correctly ,would always be a first priority for me ,to get the car road worthy ASAP
This is basicly a divide and conquor approach ,to the vacuum systems
Enjoy

One thing I have learned from my Mini is the value of electronic ignition. After fussing with the points for a couple weeks, I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition set in the distributor. What a difference that made in starting and smooth running. The engine, happily, is the least of my problems.

I have to agree on the Pertronix. That is probably going to be the one last item I may never revert back to original on my 64 CDV.

i am all about keeping things stock on the Mini and Cadillac. The nice thing about the Pertronix units is that you can revert back to stock points at any time. The only thing I had to do was add some spacers on the distributor shaft to maintain the proper gap. They can easily be removed and everything is back to factory stock settings.

I have brakes! Thank you all for your help with this. I replaced the master cylinder yesterday and the brakes are working well. I am not sure whether I have found all the vacuum leaks to get the power assist working 100% but at least she now stops. The PB Blaster tip was essential to the fix. I never thought i would get all those rusty bolts and connections off without breaking something.

I certainly appreciate your collective advice.

Thanks for the feedback and congrats on the fix!

Good work Very glad we got you rolling down the road with a few tips
Enjoy
Pls fill out the new car purchase info on the tread here ,as we are compiling some info on current purchases
Thanks

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Turn signal switch needed

Started by Roy in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by John Aguilar 18 hours ago. 5 Replies

Looking for a turn signal switch for my '64 coupe DeVille. The mechanic working on it said it's the cause of the passenger rear blinker and brake light not working. This is a big issue since police…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by douglas krathwohl yesterday. 1 Reply

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Caddy Bling

Started by Joe DiIaconi in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 8 Replies

Continue

1964 left hand (drivers side) headlight door lower trim (boomarang) needed

Started by Michael Francioni in Wanted to Buy yesterday. 0 Replies

Must be in good condition for show car or open to a good donor for rechoming but must be pit free. send info to sanremo120@msn.com along with pictures. Thanks...…...Continue

Blog Posts

1964 Cadillac Fleetwood sixty special / transmission dipstick needed

Posted by Pablo on September 20, 2020 at 9:57pm 1 Comment

How are you doing folks, I’m looking for a transmission dipstick, any info I will appreciated, thank you very much

1963 Cadillac hood driver side hinge

Posted by Steven on September 16, 2020 at 9:23am 1 Comment

Hello,

Does anyone know were I can buy a 1963 Cadillac hood driver side hinge or is there any other hinge that would fit? 

Thanks

Steven

Bad Guage?

Posted by Karl Schwarz on August 26, 2020 at 3:08pm 5 Comments

So I am troubleshooting my fuel gauge issue. I bought a new sender and tested it. It  it goes from 1-ohm (empty) to 35-ohm (full). When I test it (outside the tank), when the float is in the up (full) position it only moves the gauge to about 1/2 full. When at the bottom (empty) position the gauge shows empty. This is the same issue I have when I fill and then use the gas in the tank - the gauge never reads ore than half full. Based on what I've read on this thread it would seem like the…

Continue

Website

Posted by Fritz Seitz on August 11, 2020 at 2:35am 0 Comments

I have been working on a website-----www.fritzsautorepair.com-----

Does anyone have suggestions?

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service