Any tips,tricks,suggestions on what's worked for you to loosen the 11/16 nut on the power steering high pressure hose? I can get a flare wrench on it but access is limited and awkward and t's hard to get enough leverage to loosen. The car is a 64 coupe. Thanks.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used a flare wrench and a rubber mallet to lightly tap it loose. It was really on there. 

As Chris suggested a flare nut wrench and a firm tap with a hammer. There are 6 pt and 12 pt flare nut wrenches just like box end wrenches and while I prefer 6 point tools on everything (they strip less) the 12 pt gives you 30 more degrees of angle to work with if you cannot get fitted on nut where you have some room to turn. 

I have a set of these 12 point crows feet that work great for these applications.

Image result for 11/16 12 point crowfoot

I've had mine for years and bought them off a Snap-On truck.

You might try the evil twins....... Amazon or ebay.

Thanks, I'll give the hammer a suggestion a try although there's not a lot of room to swing one. It seems like there would be easier access if the master cylinder was removed. I just gpt done putting it back on, but if that's what it takes I'll take it off again. Anyone resort to that to get the job done?

There is absolutely no room to get a mallet down there to tap on wrench from above. Heck I can barely fit my arm down to get the wrench in position. Then its basically a one hand backhand pull. Wouldn't budge. I was about to point of removing the master cylinder for more access when by the grace of God it broke loose! So now all is good!

I use a crows foot line wrench with a long extension.  Perfect time to go out and buy new tools.

There are only two bolts holding the power steering pump on, and the hose is flexible.  
Now that you have it off, you are going to have more trouble getting the new one one.
Simply remove the pump and avoid all the aggravation.  Leave the line a little loose while you remount the pump, and tighten it after the pump is in place so you know it has clearance.  

I looked at mine and coming from someone that doesn't have time to dilly dally with getting stuff apart as I part a car out, I would If I couldn't brute force it with a standard open/box or flare nut wrench I would a) just wrap a towel up and put against the inner fender frame area to get behind the wrench with a crow bar to break nut free or b) heat a wrench up put a good bend in it to give you better access and turning radius from above, or c) if high pressure line is being replaced cut the pipe close to nut and just use a regular socket or deep socket.  If I were only swapping out the power steering pump I wouldn't touch the hoses at the steering gear... just disconnect at the pump as Mark indicated.   Usually just a bit of leverage is all you need and you have to think thru it and see what you can use.  Reading the 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Rear main Follow up replacement and repair,,

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 1 hour ago. 40 Replies

Well, got it all together,, Jason, i was looking in the wrong chapter in the manual on the starter,, got that figured out.  everything hooked back upGot it put back together, started up, and oil…Continue

need parts to rebuilt hydramatic transmission gearbox.

Started by Tanguy J. ROSEZ in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Robert Alan Shannon 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hello everybody, I am from France, and I need to rebuilt the HydraMatic transmission on my 1963 PND2D1LR. Could you give me some good Professional adresses in US to buy the parts ?Continue

Henry Leland- founder of Cadillac and Lincoln

Started by Kurt in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 21 hours ago. 1 Reply

Here's a good article about Henry Leland. I had heard bits & pieces of his story over the years but didn't know all these details.…Continue

1963 Cadillac Convertible Door Jamb Switch

Started by Lee Martin in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Lee Martin on Friday. 3 Replies

Okay, it's "dumb question time!"  Here's mine:  Does anyone know the part number for the 63 convertible door jamb switch (3 prong)?  I cannot find this in the manual...thanks!Continue

Blog Posts

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Carter AFB carburetor question

Posted by Ray Schick on October 7, 2019 at 8:29pm 8 Comments

3655S carb, and a 3656S carb .I know the difference is one is for A/C and the other in for a non A/C car . Now the question is : can I use the carb bowl from the A/C car on the non A/C car ? They look the same set up next to each other

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service