Propeller Shaft - Constant Velocity Universal Joints repair

Had some weird vibration type / scraping noice from the rear axle. Replaced the wheel bearings last year but the sound still remained. Knew I had to replace the rear axle but had also discovered that the CV-joints in the propeller shaft did not operate as they should. (Was watching Jasons u-tube video)! 

According to our holy book (Shop Manual) the Constant Velocity Universal Joint are not serviced separately.

However there is a way to fix the vibration and that is to buy 403-01 Rockford Driveline - CV Ball Centering Kit. First I contacted Rockford DriveLine but at that time they did not have a internet shop that could accept payment using a credit-card/PayPal. Believe they have sorted it now. However I was able to buy the necessary 2x 403-01 Rockford Driveline - CV Ball Centering Kit via Ebay. Got the parts and waited for warmer weather.

Come spring and the car is up on jack stands and drive shaft removed.

Separated the shaft at the center bearing support bracket and started removing the original universal joints.

Used a sub-standard Chinese tool! (Note the crack). In the end I had a friend to use a hydraulic press to get the joints out.

CV Joints disassembled and new repair kit displayed.

Before cleaning the seat.

And after.

The original universal joints are secured by a nylon compound. That must be removed and is easiest done by pressing down the nylon through the holes. (Two on each side of the universal joint)

A good picture on the old universal joint with the compound nylon still in place.

Here I did measure the height of the old and new spring. Its not much difference and unfortunately I didn't have a gauge to test compression on the springs. 0,3 mm higher on the new spring doesn't look like much, so I was a bit worried.

The two original balls were in good condition so I didn't need to replace them (that's a tricky job involving a lathe and hydraulic press).

Everything cleaned and applied new grease and started to assemble the kit.

Using a tool to press down the parts.

CV repair kit fully installed.

Tested to see fitness.

Fitted the new universal joints (MOOG/PRECISION 234). Bought the type without grease nipples as I can't get to them anyways, due to the design of the car. Also benefiting from increased cross strength as grease channels are eliminated (MOOG statement).

When installing the replacement universal joints the original nylon compound is of course not available. However the copper washer will fit inside on every joint. It takes a lot of force to push in enough to fit the copper washer. But it will fit!

After installing the new Constant Velocity Universal Joints I tested the function as per Jasons video. It works perfectly and the joints have that "snap" that should remove vibrations. Still to refit the propeller shaft back in the car and test it all. But as I also replace the rear axle I will of course not be able to tell which one was failing. I do however think that failing CV-joints could cause damage to the rear axle (or opposite) so doing both at the same time makes sense. Also the cost of the of the 403-01 Rockford Driveline was minor so I don't see the reason not doing this job. As a side note; its even possible to buy the kit without the ball (403-01A).

Time used? Well a shop should be able to do the job in half a day as a hydraulic press is the key. I have used at least triple time. A friend finally brought the old CV joints to his work and used the 100 tons (overkill) hydraulic press there. I had tried with the vice but it wasn't strong enough. Refitting the new universal joints using the vice was acceptable. A press would help with that as well as there is not much room for the copper washers.

Finally the manual for the Constant Velocity Universal Joint Repair Kit.

If you have to do the full repair and also removing the ball.

Views: 3832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Part number 211011X double carden CV joint repair kit. I just checked their website and it now shows out of stock. It looks like I got the last two. I talked to a guy on the phone at fort Wayne clutch and he said they are being made by another company now. 

Clovis 
When you receive yours I am hoping the mfg’s label may still be on the package to get  back directly to the new source if that may be possible 
A very important discovery on your part 

Enjoy 

The part number I got with my package is 403-1. There is no manufacturers name on the package its just in sealed plastic bags. It has the same components that Anders has. I did a google search and I believe this is a Rockford driveline part number. it appears that this is also an obsolete part.

Just got off the phone with Rockford Driveline and they no longer have the - double carden CV joint repair kit  available 

Someone out there is suppling— Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveline - with the repair kit just not sure who it might be at this point 

Enjoy 

since im in the middle of this, thought I would throw what I found over at this thread as well.  my DS stud balls had gotten misshapen, ( not my balls!!!!) and the needle bearings had worn into and left impressions in some of the stems were the caps slid over the U Joint.  decided to replace both balls and all 5 u joints,,, dont worry, not doing all this myself, I have help.

but finding the parts was interesting.  I used Clovis link to a Buick site and just ordered kit, no idea if it will fit but used the 62 to 71 Buick dates, and will see what shows up,

then went to Fort Wayne drive and clutch and tried to put in Cadillac, year, model etc and there system would not work or pull up our year.  so I found Clovis part number and stuck it in and it pulled up two items,, a stud ball and centering kit and a centering kit, both with same part number.  Product looks same except for one has the ball in it,  Its currently available. but the other kit, same part number without the ball, is not available so. I should also note, as Clovis said, its fitment description is several Buicks and the 63 through I think 71 caddy.  So I both three sets of the ones with the ball, in case of disaster and also the one from the Buick place, just to see if it was the same part.  the link to the page with the two parts packages is https://fortwayneclutch.com/?s=211011X&post_type=product&ti...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

64 Coupe deVille convertible

Started by Fab in For Sale. Last reply by Fab 1 hour ago. 6 Replies

Great condition, car is a driver, not a show car, but can be one with not much more work. Laundry list of items that have been updated, refreshed, rebuilt, etc. Reach out for details, too much to…Continue

Question about the 1963 Hydramatic Oil-Filter

Started by Stefan in General Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 3 hours ago. 12 Replies

Hello everyone,Has anyone of you ever opened the transmission filter and can tell me whether there is filter fabric in there or a metal screen, that can be washed out? The number on the transmission…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Head casting numbers

Started by Shep2 in General Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 15 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hi,  My LH cylinder head is cracked.  Casting number is 1473449.  I noticed in the part number book it lists two casting numbers.  Does anyone know if that means 1473449 and 1468025 are…Continue

Blog Posts

Fuel Pump Failure

Posted by Jon Shields on August 6, 2022 at 6:48am 3 Comments

Hello,

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia and my 64 sedan de ville is stuck in the garage due to failed mechanical fuel pump. The first after market mechanical fuel pump lasted a few years before it failed & left me stranded 5 hours from home. A hire car and tow got us home. On inspection, I noticed a valve not seated within the housing. I was optimistic, pressed it into place and assumed the pump was good to go. But alas, no. From what I can now determine, the diaphragm pushrod…

Continue

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Posted by Balachne on May 31, 2022 at 7:00am 3 Comments

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Introduction

To achieve an excellent result of vehicle restoration, it is essential to  manage this task as one manages an industrial project.

To do this we will use a certain formalism of project management and therefore start by defining the need. It is from this that we will deduce the scope, then the time of execution of the…

Continue

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Posted by Patrick Westphal on April 12, 2022 at 1:35pm 1 Comment

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible Speedometer Bulbs

Posted by Russell L Parr on April 1, 2022 at 9:15pm 6 Comments

I need to replace the bulbs for the speedometer cluster in my instrument panel..

Before I open up the dash, I want to have the necessary bulbs on hand.

Can someone help me determine what bulbs I need, the number of bulbs I need,  and where to purchase them?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service