Ok.  Out today,  rear brakes got very hot, again.  1st time in aweek.  Almost like they are resetting back.  Anyway decided to fix the axle leak .  

Well, took off hub, and undid bolts behind brake assembly,  didnt even need axle puller,  a good hard yank, it cam out.  First thing i noticed ,there was a torn gasket looking piece that seems to sit behind the brakes shoe assembly and goes between the brake shoe assembly and the hub that the assebly attaches to.  It was damged.

I got the axle part out,  bearing seemed smooth turning.  O ring was intact but scuffed.  

Pictures attached of parts w notes.

So.  According to u tube, this type assembly requires the bearing and seal be cut off w grinder.   

Is that correct, or do i need to rent a specific tool for this.

Secondly, i dnt remeber seeing that gasket that fits behind the brake shoe assembly,  only one i see in book is the paper one.   Is there another one and what would it be called? 

Any help here forward would be appreciated imensely  

Views: 455

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mack, the restored rear looks great!  Please share the part numbers.  It'll help us all.  BTW,  I assume those are disc brake brackets on the flange.  What set up are you running?

Ok guys so here's the list of parts to rebuild the rear end.

1- flange Fel-pro 13365 (I used 2 on each side; one on axle housing and one on the cover)

2- yoke gasket (easy to find on eBay)

3- yoke oil seal (SKF 18922)

4- rear wheel bearings (SKF RW-509FR)

5- gear oil 80W-90 (5 pints !!)

It's fairly easy job! Cost of parts around $250 plus the cost of having the bearings pressed on at the machineshop!

Good luck and enjoy :)

Mack

ps- I switched to ABS Power Brakes, works Just fine.

will get into my other 63CDV once the spring comes! :)

Where did you find the copper crush washers for the yoke studs?

Ive replaced those copper washers with regular steel ones! image.jpeg

I've replaced everything on it, including the bushings in control arms, bushings on the cool spring, cleaned and painted.

Mack, what is the part # to the large O ring that goes around the bearing?

you got a good deal on the bearings and seal.  i paid about 350 for the set, from usaparts..8.00 for the set of gaskets on both sides,, 

Mack, just wanted to say thanks for providing the detailed info on the parts.  Much appreciated!

Mark
Did you replace any of the rear end control arm bushings going back on the car
If so what brand and type bushings did you choose to use in that location ?

Enjoy

Mark

Thanks
Real nice info to have on hand
Helpful for those whow need to get this job completed at some time

Enjoy

If those are the stock rear end control arms --which bushing did you choose to use in your restoration project
The details on the bushings would be nice to have with the other detail info

Enjoy

I found them on eBay. It's tricky to put them in so be creative to not bend the trailing arms :)

Mack
Thanks for the bushing info

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets......Again

Started by Ian Osborne in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Ian Osborne 9 hours ago. 21 Replies

I know I'm not the only one who has dealt with constantly failing exhaust manifold gaskets but I have the heads off for a valve job and I'm trying to fix the issue once and for all. Well, maybe for a…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 19 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Caddy Daddy

Started by Dan McNarry in General Discussion. Last reply by Dan McNarry yesterday. 10 Replies

I'm looking to buy a new fuel sending unit for my car and was wondering if anyone has had recent dealings with Caddy Daddy and if so, yeah or nay?Continue

help adding fluid to top motor for '64.

Started by john kilbourne in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Charles Fares yesterday. 3 Replies

Is there a Youtube about this? From what I can learn for other lesser cars, such as they may be, the drill is: remove rear seat bottom and back, remove the plug from the top motor reservoir, use a…Continue

Blog Posts

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 9 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

390 engine replacement needed

Posted by Jason on May 18, 2020 at 7:54pm 1 Comment

I’m looking for a 1963 Cadillac 390 engine that runs. 

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service