Last fall I replaced my rear yoke and trailing arm bushings . Now with 410 miles on them the large

rear trailing arm bushings are done . I contacted Rare Parts the maker and they were defensive and

wanted me to purchase new ones and if sent the old ones back they,  upon inspection would  reimburse the original seller  (Old Parts) a seller on ebay. Seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through so I inquired at all the

known Cadillac Suppliers and it seems the Rare Parts is the only maker of the RP15606 bushings . Further

internet searches found this is a common problem. This has led to Dan McNarry and Russ Austin heading up making replacement arms with high tech bushings that do not distort and last. Rare Parts needs to retool and use rubber that will last .  In the mean time DO NOT  purchase trailing arm bushings from them with the

expectation they will last as I assure you they will fail quickly

Views: 2315

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I put the new trailing arms in all the cars I work on. Huge difference.

Hi Russ 

Could you please describe what you did?

are you making up emplacement rear arms? 

Thanks

Jeff Kinzler

I do not make the trailing arms, I was the test bed for them. Dan makes then. The arm is constructed out of square tubing. Poly bushings are used that are readily available, but the control arms come with them.

It is a complete assembly ready to bolt up. There are no modifications involved.

You can reach Dan at   dmcnarry@telus.net

I can also attest to this, put a new set of the Rare Parts rear control arm bushings in a 64 Sedan Deville 2 months ago and after 600 or so miles, they are distorted and sagging worse then the old ones that I had replaced.

I put a pair the McNarry rear control arms in my 64 Fleetwood last year and am very happy with them........should have just did the same with the Deville, but I was just trying to save a few bucks. Will cost me more in the end now!

Here’s a company in Georgia that manufactures this type of bushing: Their size chart is metric  perhaps they could match what is needed for the rear control arm application  

https://www.avproductsinc.com

AV also says that they will make bushings in unique sizes. 

In the mean time I identified another source for rear bushings: Caddy Daddy. Their site also lists the dimensions of the bushings. 

Regards,

Jeff 

I guess, I am just not getting the point of the new control links and bushings. Why doesn't Dan McNarry just put the new bushing (that don't distort) in good refurbished control links? I have a good stash of both 63 and 64 style control links for someone to push the old bushings out and put new bushings in. So, I guess I'm asking if Dan can put bushings that hold up in this "squarish" fabricated control link that will hold up, can't he do the same in a stock control link? My problem with this is the control links look "Frankenstein-ish" and viewed from the rear of car or underneath looks very made-up and un-original. If originality was not a concern, I would have less problem with these... but still look boxy and contrast with the look of the undercarriage. Sort of like dual chrome tips sticking out the end of the car might be fine for what you are after, but those that want a stock look ... like me on my 64 CDV, would cringe at putting these under my 64 CDV.  I applaud anyone taking the initiative to reproduced parts to keep these cars on the road and provide alternative means to an end, but have to be honest and say these are glaringly butt-ugly from my perspective.  They look like something I might expect to see on a rat-rod or down at the strip on a tubbed roadster.

I've had no issues with the stock control links...and find they are pretty tough. I've seen some where people have tried to jack car up on the outer lip and damage, and one or two that may have been in a wreck that bent them but the stock control links are pretty tough. They way they mount to the rear axles and frame give little room for flexing, ... just don't see the advantage other than this has a bushing that holds up well... then again I ask why not just put them in a stock control link?  Is it a matter that Dan cannot find good donor original control links, or cannot put his type bushings in the control link?  So what am I missing? 

I thought the problem being discussed was poor quality bushings from this seller that calls itself “Rare Parts.”

Jason, I think I found the car that goes with those control links:

LOL!

Jeff... my point... why make up an entire new control link that looks "fabricated" when you can just get good used original control links and install the good bushings.

ps.. that would have been my dream car at age 16 ... although I really dug the Keystone Classic Mags.  Those would have made this car righteous!

I agree with you 100%!

Tony, Can you check around to see if someone can revulcanize the original bushings if someone sends them a core. Perhaps you can contact Steele Rubber? Let us know what you find out. As far as the CLC most members of the forums are non-members so please post your question and give us the feedback. Here is the link: www.forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org 

Jason,

Maybe you didn’t see it but I did some research on an earlier message and found a manufacturer in Georgia, USA who makes these types of suspension bushings with rubber. 

Perhaps you could furnish a sample to them and they could match it up and quote us a price. 

When you get back of course. 

Here’s the info:  

www.avproductsinc.com

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service