Last fall I replaced my rear yoke and trailing arm bushings . Now with 410 miles on them the large

rear trailing arm bushings are done . I contacted Rare Parts the maker and they were defensive and

wanted me to purchase new ones and if sent the old ones back they,  upon inspection would  reimburse the original seller  (Old Parts) a seller on ebay. Seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through so I inquired at all the

known Cadillac Suppliers and it seems the Rare Parts is the only maker of the RP15606 bushings . Further

internet searches found this is a common problem. This has led to Dan McNarry and Russ Austin heading up making replacement arms with high tech bushings that do not distort and last. Rare Parts needs to retool and use rubber that will last .  In the mean time DO NOT  purchase trailing arm bushings from them with the

expectation they will last as I assure you they will fail quickly

Views: 2315

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw the post. I don’t need control links or bushings, but if I did I would check with someone like Steele that is well known for revulcanizing rubber mounts and see if they can work with sleeve bushings? I don’t know but does not hurt to ask and unlike trying to match up a metric size bushing, you will probably get a quick yes or no answer. Let me know what you find out.

Sounds good, Tony. Sort of thought they might be able to do something.  So, if Jeff, Doug or someone wants to send them their control link with bad bushing they may have a better solution. The only thing I would question is why couldn't someone just send the old bushing? 

I am sure there may be other areas where someone like Steele could fill a void where there are no other options.  

Just to add, I have no knowledge of the availability of the upper control yoke bushings or the extent to their reliability. If I needed one, I would use google, and poll the troops here on the reliability of sourced bushings. If they were also crap material I would then pursue someone like steel to install new quality rubber. Again, a great project for you guys with "bushing issues"!

Caddy Daddy has all of the rear suspension bushings and ball joint individually or as a kit 

And provides the dimensions:

P

Caddy Daddy bushings are made by Rare Parts, that's were I ordered mine from.

I did not replace the yoke bushings, just control arms, as I stated earlier they are failing after 600 miles.

I am surprised because Rare Parts has a good reputation for producing quality parts.

Those large diameter rear bushings have to bear the weight of the whole car, they are obviously using a compound that is not dense enough to survive under this load.

Who makes the control link bushings, etc for Rubber the Right Way. For kicks and grins I decided to google 1964 Cadillac Control Link bushings and they were the 1st ones that popped up. I don't recall their name on this thread.  Click Here to check them out. 

Mark, that is why I asked "Who makes the control link bushings, etc for Rubber the Right Way?"  The few times I have ordered from RTRW they came in Steele Rubber bags.  I would assume they come from the same "crap" suppliers but I do not know that for a fact and is why I asked the question.

Just to add, I was surprised that the RTRW link had zero customer reviews. I would think if this is such a wide spread phenomenon people would be eager give their feedback. 

One final thought, I was reading the installation of the control link bushings per shop manual and it said to torque the bolts to 60 ft lbs. For a large bolt this would be easy to exceed and wonder if those that have had issues have followed the torque specs. I would think there needs to be some allowance for the bushing to turn inside the link as the car flexes up and down. I wonder if over tightening these would force the bushing to lock in place causing the rubber inside to more rapidly tear apart for the circular stress as the control link flexes with the car? Just thinking aloud... but regardless I would torque to spec when installing.

I installed per the manual, with a torque wrench, tightening bolts only after car is off jacks and setting on the ground.

Old bushings were removed by removing center rubber section (drilling) then cut a groove in the shell with a hacksaw blade, then collapse shell with hammer and punch and remove from link.

New bushings were pressed in with a ball joint press, no force exerted on the rubber part of bushing or bolt sleeve, just on the shoulder flange of bushing. Spacers were used in link to prevent collapsing and distortion while using press.

These original links are rather light weight and are the flimsiest part of this cars suspension and great care must be taken to not damage them during bushing replacement.

I have both 63 and 64 style control links in VG condition for $55. If you are a CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Member, the price is $45 each. Some have decent used bushings, of course nothing like new, but Ok to use.  If someone needs the control link(s) email me at jasonedge@nc.rr.com. If someone comes up with a good final solution I would definitely post to our Help Page.  For me I have less than zero time to take on any additional projects, and if I did ... control link bushings would be way down my personal list. :-)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service