The neutral safety switch was damaged and needed to be repaired or replaced. It was leaking vacuum and had a damaged upper slide channel. Decided to try to repair this 650 (non-tilt with 4-speed hydramatic gearbox).

First picture shows the damaged upper slide channel:

Here is all taken apart and cleaned:

Fitted a piece of stainless steel cut from a steel putty knife:

Here is a picture testing that the slider will move freely before applying JB-weld:

Applying JB-weld several times in small layers and carefully grinding the excess away:

Finished with JB-weld and removing the excess:

Testing with the slider (grove on slider was filled with JB-weld as well):

And with the mounting plate temporary fitted:

After that it was time to repair the vacuum valve. Basically the problem with it was that the rubber cup type seal was tired and didn't reach the bottom.

Easiest solution was to fit a small washer between the rubber cup type seal and the plunger:

After that it was to apply vacuum grease in the vacuum valve and regular grease in the neutral safety switch for the slider to move freely and then assemble it all. The picture shows all parts used and two washers, only used one and had an extra spare. The switch has been painted black. Painting is off course not necessary as it wont be visible anyways, but I like to do it that way:

For some strange reason I didn't take any picture of the assembled switch, but I know you all know what it looks like anyways.

JB-weld used was the 4-6 hours slow drying kind. It was applied over a few days to get it right. The washer was a special order from Russ together with the vacuum grease.

Have tested the vacuum valve and it holds the vacuum and when moving the gear selector into drive the vacuum goes to the parking brake and releasing it. The electrical switch is working as intended and the rear white light is turned on when the gear selector is moved to reverse. Takes a bit of trial and error to place the neutral safety switch in the right position and it does help to have the front seat out of the way...At least for a 6 foot 2 inch 230 pound Swedish guy!

Hope this will help anybody in saving a few bucks instead of buying a neutral safety switch.

Views: 831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is vacuum grease and where would it be used ?
Is it different than high heat or litium grease ?
Thanks

Enjoy

Vacuum grease is a lubricant with low volatility and is used for applications in low pressure environments. Lubricants with higher volatility would evaporate, causing two problems: They would not be present to provide lubrication. They would make lowering the pressure below their vapor pressure difficult.

It's expensive stuff too.  I picked up a few tubes, and use it on the NSS vacuum valve repairs.  I also include it with the thin washer when I ship them to people.

Russ
Good stuff to know about
Thanks

Enjoy the Super bowl today

why are their two washers in the picture ?

Bought an extra from Russ just in case. Didnt need it for this project, but will save it for the next car.

I see, I got the washer & grease from Russ in the mail other day. This morning I pulled the NSS out to repair it & the first attempt would not hold Vacuum. So I texted Russ & he said to clean all the parts well and try again. On my second try I learned you must reattach it very strong to make it work & it did. I have to say I found it very difficult to get the bolt on the left side of the NSS back on, I tried & tried and finally got it back on.In my defense, I'm a big guy & its not easy to get under the dash. You can't see the hole & the brake is in the way.   

My front seat was removed,but it was tricky to get it right. Set the screws lightly and then adjust the NSS into correct position. Might also use a pin to push the brake pedal.

O sure now you tell me ! LOL

When I installed the washer the little folding tab's became week & would not hold the Valve down tight enough to the NSS so I went the route of J B Weld.

You can only bend the tabs once or twice, before they crack on you.

Did anybody tried to reproduce this thing with a 3D-Printer? It probably would be worth to try...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

390 with vibrations

Started by Bo Authèn in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 24 minutes ago. 6 Replies

After renovating both the engine and the automat, I have vibrations. Not sure if they come from the engine or the transmission. Can the flexplate versus converter be wrong? or the flexplate against…Continue

Jason

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

I really liked your comment about  the social distancing  rule  regarding our year cars - as requiring a cell phone due to the extensive distance between individuals  —— now that’s FUNNY —-LOL !…Continue

Tags: distancing, Social

63 deville

Started by Brian in Wanted to Buy 5 hours ago. 0 Replies

Hello everyone, I’m looking for a 63 Cadillac deville left and right lower front bumper buckets. If you have any for sale or know of anyone selling any, please let me know. Thank you Continue

Gas tank overfilling and fumes...anybody else?

Started by Tosh Dickenson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 8 hours ago. 3 Replies

Anybody else have a problem with your gas tank overfilling then draining out the overflow?  I've done the service bulletin with relocating the vent and drilling the hole in the top.Every so often…Continue

Blog Posts

64 Power Servo vacuum leak

Posted by Kent Prows on June 27, 2020 at 4:02pm 0 Comments

I finally got around to fixing a leak in my heater core.  I decided to check to see if there were any other obvious issues while I had everything torn apart.  When I put a vacuum directly (bypassing the transducer) to the power servo it gets to about 10" and then slowly leaks back to zero.  The fan will not go to full and the mode door will not open completely.  I have read a couple of other posts that said they repaired the power servo leaks.  How?  Does anyone have one to sell?  I just…

Continue

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 9 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service