Can I obtain a complete neutral safety switch and plug for a 64 switch. 
- Non-Tilt/Turbo Hydramatic          - Part # 199 3652 (652 stamped on switch)

Then rewire my existing wiring to the new plug? Or can I just rewire my existing NSS? 

My concern is I have changed the shift pattern from PND1D2R to PRNDL

Oh, I have a 63 convertible. 

Thanks

Views: 453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is information in the Help topics on transmission swaps https://6364cadillac.ning.com/profiles/blogs/enginesandtransmissions

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I read that help section several times before I ventured into this project. A lot has changed in the ten years since it was written many parts are readily available that were not then. I’m in too deep to turn back now. Some fab is still needed. 

I still have the question if I can just rewire my existing switch (the preferred option) or would a switch from a 64 be the way to go?

Thanks

Attachments:

I would be curious if you can post a list of the parts that are now readily available that were not when originally posted.  Other than the aftermarket adaptor ring I occasionally see, the THM kickdown switch, I have seen,  the longer front driveshaft section, different yaw mounts,  different carb mounting boss for switch, neutral safely switch differences and issues, shift quadrant indicator, and most importantly the different diameter (3 1/16" vs 3")  in raised mounting area off back of crank for for THM flex plate vs HM drive plate are still issues that you will have to deal with.  A THM flex plate will have to be enlarged to fit the back of the HM crank and it has to be done perfectly.    Thanks, Jason.

Jason,

Speed Gems has a complete adapter kit that addresses the different diameter and flex plate issues.

https://transmissionadapters.com/collections/cadillac/products/1954...

Caddy Daddy has yoke, https://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts/drive-line/yoke/1959-1960-cad...

Universal joint and trans tall mount

https://www.caddydaddy.com/1959-1960-cadillac-custom-cross-series-u... https://www.caddydaddy.com/1955-1956-1957-1958-1959-1960-1961-1962-... and an explanation on the mod to the cross member. We still have to address linkage and shift quadrant indicator. As I mentioned I need to address the NSS and possibly front drive shat shortening.

Thanks

Woah! $900. It is neat to see that mounting kit but you have other issues to deal with. 

As far as the yoke, you still need to install on an original driveshaft front section. The front sections are readily available.  It is the rear that is the issue. I have several VG condition for $100 for the HM front which is $165 less than the $265 Caddy Daddy is charging and you still have to have it installed. I am also not sure about the integrity of just extending the yoke length.  Under normal driving condition I would guess that would be OK.  That is basically extending the flexpoint further back from the tail shaft. In a 4x4 that would be a big non-no, but on an old Cadillac should be a good alternate solution.

Jason,

I listed the yoke for information only for others if they are interested. We will not be using  the extended yoke. I'm using a TH400 with a 9" tail which is a a little longer overall then the Hydramatic. I had the same thought as you on the extended yoke. We will shorten the front shaft. This is a neat project that will be great when complete. I have a very accomplished mechanic with great fab skills. I'm sure there will be several trial and errors before complete.

The shift pattern is different, so ytou will need the 652 NSS.  However, the 652 will not bolt up to the 63 column.  You will need to swap out to a 64 non tilt THM column.   

Or you can jump the starter wires together and drive the car without back up lights. 

Thanks Russ, I was afraid a column swap was in to mix. 
I may go with the second option for now. Step back and regroup. Should be on the road in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks for the replies. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service