I have a 64 and the timing is to far advanced  the vacuum advance hits the valve cover I think this is a result of my father in law having a timing chain put on years ago what is the best remedy ? Pull out housing and reposition it ? Also trying to figure out if maybe they installed the wires  wrong  where exactly should rotor be pointing on TDC ?  and is it possible if it was installed off  that the wires could of been moved on the cap  to make it run .have had this car 27 years and always runs hot and won't start till the engine cools down ( like it is to far advanced  haven't thrown a light on it yet I am doing my homework so when I tackle it I am prepared  I have seen the diagrams here but doesn't really show  clock position of rotor on tdc  any advise is appreciated 

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK thnk I got the reply and post down  sucks being newbee 

You must have a 1964 series 62 car as they came through with the Jetaway transmission that was used in all Cadillacs from 1956-63 and the 1964 series 62 cars.  DeVille models had the new Turbo Hydramatic which today we call the TH400. 

If you have access to a shop manual, there is a section in there regarding adjusting the linkage to the transmission.  I would be that if you Google it, you will also find the answer. 

This site is great for tech advice, don't be shy. There are always people willing to help you keep it alive and if you decide to sell, there is a section on the site for that as well.

All the best,

Mike 

OK  I am back at it this thing is just Idling to fast  I got totally fed up with it last time now I have to do something with it   but if it runs for 10 mins  it is to hot to restart  It starts and runs fine  It is just to fast at idle  I am at wits end and this car will be causing to have a stroke  I know there must be answers I just can't find them  the carb linkage looks nothing like any posted  and the motors manual I have doesn't address  this problem 

Steve, these cars can be frustrating for sure!  For now, you can disconnect the throttle linkage entirely in order to idle the engine, set the timing, adjust the carb etc.  It sounds like someone may have switched the linkage on you or it is way out of adjustment?  Super fast idle could also indicate a vacuum leak, especially if you hear a "whooshing" sound around the base of the carb.

If you could post a photo of the linkage that may help with diagnosis or identification.

Thanks I will do that thank you very much for responding 

here they are 

Attachments:

OK I found it  was a cracked hose going to the PCV valve and a bad PCV plugged the port on the carb  now my question is where does the PCV go  it appears to be a hose that disappears under the intake . also can some one point me to detailed instructions for adjusting that TV  down shift rod  my car is holding gears to long I let up on petal and it shifts  a little like a bad modulator valve on a ford  ( my motors only shows a picture of it )  Thanks all for your help 

Steve, you are correct. The PCV hose connects to a breather tube under the intake manifold, towards the rear of the engine.  To access, you will probably have to remove the intake. You may want to replace the hose at this point since you are digging in this far and probably do not want to touch it again. 

You said you have a Motors manual?  I am not sure what year manual you have but the shift linkage from Cadillac '56-'64 Hydramatic (Jetaway) are nearly identical and you can look at the transmission section of the manual for any of those years to see the correct adjustment. Your transmission was used on the series 62 Cadillacs in 1964 and was called a Hydramatic whereas the identical transmission was known as a Jetaway when used in Olds, Buick and Pontiacs. This was the last year Cadillac used that trans in any cars as the Coupe DeVilles used a TH-400 in '64 which became standard across the board in '65.  Best of luck!

The PCV was spliced into that hose and tucked under the manifold  the hose going under seems OK  I just caped the port on the carb to get it to the right Idle when the new PCV comes I should be able to cut that hose back a little and make a new piece between the PCV and carb  as far as linkage gonna dig into that next   I know one way is faster and the other slower  Thanks for the info  I greatly appreciate it 

Steve
What model is the car and where is it located ?

Enjoy

not sure  no name on it  it has 4 doors cloth  seats  and that transmission pretty sure the engine is a 390 her grandmother bought it new in 64  it has been garage kept iout side Chicago since about 1980

Tell us the VIN and we tell what you have, or you can find out yourself from this list:

Suggest you buy a Cadillac Shop Manual if you gonna keep fixing this car.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Trivia Question 17 - Item You COULD NOT Delete Because of Cars Heater

Started by Jason Edge in Trivia. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 22 minutes ago. 6 Replies

OK. We had so much fun with the last Trivia regarding the car's heater, I thought we should post another heater related question.  So here goes:What item does the spec manual go out of its way to…Continue

Tags: Question, Trivia

Good Sources for Parts?

Started by Bob Ricks in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 6 hours ago. 1 Reply

New member here so be patient with me.  New owner of what I would consider a rat-rod 63 caddy.  Previous owner painted everything flat black, in an obvious attempt in covering up body deficiencies. …Continue

Trivia Question 16 - Standard Item You could Delete for Reduced Cost?

Started by Jason Edge in Trivia. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 12 hours ago. 21 Replies

OK. Here's a new trivia. There is at least one main standard (non-option) item that one could "delete" on a new 1963 or 1964 Cadillac for a reduced cost.  What is it?  For extra cigars, what is the…Continue

Custom '64 Eldorado on Bitchin' Rides Last Night

Started by Ian Osborne in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje 21 hours ago. 1 Reply

If anyone here is familiar with the show "Bitchin' Rides" they started work on a '64 Eldo on the episode that aired last night (12/5). I really like the show and they build some amazing custom…Continue

Blog Posts

still need a driveshaft

Posted by wayne weaver on November 26, 2019 at 11:53am 2 Comments

well thank you UPS for losing the driveshaft that Russ Austin shipped me. 

however i still need a rear driveshaft section for my 63. mine has a vibration due to the bushing inside of it. its a shame because the ball and sockets in the cardian joints are perfect but it has a woble on the balancing machine. so .  still need the rear section. anyone have a good one ? is there driveshaft alternatives to use ? i am really considering an LS swap and since im fighting the driveshaft search…

Continue

63 guidematic issues

Posted by maurice lapoiinte on November 24, 2019 at 3:10pm 0 Comments

So my 63 guide matic headlamps stay on low beam all the time. I have so far bypassed the system and everything works normal. I have been thru the trouble shooting in the manual but this is where the confusion begins.on my car when the power relay is powered I have low beam and when its not powered I have highbeam, this appears to be opposite what the diagnosis says should be correct.The wiring is all original and no wires have been mixed up.has anyone ever unplugged the 2 wire connector…

Continue

Another advantage of the Pertronix III

Posted by Doug Scarrow on November 23, 2019 at 11:12am 1 Comment

Having tried both the II and III I can say the multispark feature of the III offers a smoother idle . It is also easier to install .Does not require removal of the distributor

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service