I hey everyone 

just wanted to share something with you.

fee years back somebody recommended me this one carburetor shop which I was told that they lean it up, rebuild it, set it upon the live engine, ship it back to you and all you have to do is just install thecarb in the engine and start the car without any adjustments... 

well, happened to be true!

these guys have rebuilt 3 of my carbs (two Rochester’s and one Carter) and each time the job was done just perfect.

not trying to send business to them but recommend a trusted carburetor shop.

ive attaches some photos of the carbs before and after.

sincerely, Mack

Views: 192

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whats the shops name?

Let me find his card (had it in my wallet) and I’ll post it here!

really good guy and knows his stuff. Stay tuned...

I would also like his info please

Thomas 

Move down this thread and you will see a photo of the carb  shops card with the info you are looking for  

Check out —Help and Part Suppliers - in the header to solve other issues you may have 

Enjoy 

Looks like a shop that does the right thing with carbs 

I did have a shop like that myself  once but like many the old timer went out of business to retire 

Pls do give us  the address and location of this shop 

Enjoy 

Those are beautiful rebuilds. I considered this and I like staying original. But, after a couple of good mechanics adjusted my old carb, which had been rebuilt once, I still had to pump the gas 15 times and then wait 5 minutes for the car to warm up or it would stall in an intersection when I hit the gas, NOT GOOD. And I read various treatments for the choke tube and decided it was too many variables. So I switched to a new Edelbrock carb and it is the single best thing I've done for the car. I starts in half a second and can be driven right away. Since I drive the car often('63 convertible) this solution was preferred to maintaining originality. Also around the same time, I replaced the intake manifold which may have had a small leak, so I can't tell which "fix" was the more important one, just that it's perfect now.

How did you or someone else handle making  the bracket that would be required —for the TV rod that attaches to the throttle linkage  of the  63 carb —that shifts the hydramatic transmission in your 63 —  when going to the Edelbrock carb —-as Edelbrock supplies no such bracket as it  has to be —- hand made by someone —-to get your  trans to work with that carb ?

Enjoy 

Tony, I don't know if this makes any difference, but that was a typo, I have a '64, not a '63. And there were no significant issues with the installation. I could be wrong, but I think what we did was NOTHING regarding the tranny downshift. I think it's not connected at all, we just let it go, and I have never noticed a deficiency. It might be that I don't jam on the accelerator when I'm on the highway, like for a quick passing move, so I haven't noticed a lack of need for sudden downshifting. I completely forgot about that issue and it's not been of any note. 

Preston

The 64 convert has the turbo hydramatic that does not have the TV rod for the trans on the carb like the 63 and a much easier carb to replace than the 63 

I have the Edelbrock 1406 with an electric choke on my 64 429 and happy with it 

I did have to go richer on the carbs jetting ( two times ) with the very helpful Edelbrock techs 

that walked  me thru the next number  jets and metering rods to go to 

Once you know the engine has a full tune up and all is on spec you then check to see what the spark plugs are burning correctly 

Mine were burning whitish which means lean as they should be a brown paper bag color 

A lean mixture will increase  cylinder heat and reduce power output 

The stock air cleaner will no longer work with the Edelbrock ( larger Venturi than the stock Carter carb ) unless you use an adapter that Russ on this site sells or need to go with an aftermarket air cleaner depending on your own needs 

The Edelbrock unlike the stock Carter has a vacuum port on the carb  for the  dist vacuum advance that changes the dist advance curve for better engine performance than the stock ignition advance ( they are the performance people ) 

Enjoy 

That's a lot of great advice. I'll pull out a couple of plugs tomorrow. I have had a lot of cars and rebuilt one engine myself but I am not well versed in carb jetting. I did get that adapter from Russ. The Edelbrock 1406 solved all my problems and has not been touched since the day it was installed. Now I will have the suspension gone through next week and the last step is a new steering wheel while the car sits for the Connecticut winter. 

Here’s the business card to LON - the carburetor guy.

Attachments:

Mack 

Just the kind of info we need posted on our site to keep our pride and joys rolling down the road 

55 plus years later

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Had to Bring in Some More Help!

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 9 hours ago. 3 Replies

As most of you know I just brought in almost 400 lb of Cadmium plated bolts, etc. Cheryl, my boss and Cadillac Parts Apprentice indicated she needed some help when looking at the 1st batch of about…Continue

Headlight Switch

Started by Joseph Rabbene in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 9 hours ago. 4 Replies

For less than thirty dollars, I ordered a universal '53-'64 headlight switch from vintagecadillac.com   The switch is currently out of stock, but I'd really like to sew up the dashboard on my '63 and…Continue

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 11 hours ago. 193 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Needing advice on brake system upgrade

Started by Joe in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

Has anyone bought from Jamco? If so what did you think of there parts as far as there brake booster and M/C set up combo's.The reason for asking, I own a 62, I know this is a 63/64 site but the…Continue

Blog Posts

Help on Removal of rear seatback on 64 convertible

Posted by Nile Bolen on January 8, 2021 at 11:44am 7 Comments

I'm trying to remove the rear seatback on my 1964 deville conv.  The only help on this site that I can find is the following:

The seatback, its bright stainless trim, and the speaker grille are removed as an assembly.  The seat back hangs on two hooks near the top, and is retained to the body by two bolts and washers near the floor, one on the right side, one on the left.Once these fasteners are removed, lift the seat back upward and free it from the hooks

I've removed…

Continue

Bumper lower bucket

Posted by Ray Schick on January 1, 2021 at 4:33pm 3 Comments

1964 Convertible Seats.

Posted by michael moorman on November 30, 2020 at 5:29pm 1 Comment

Are the front and rear seat frames the same for 63/64 Coupes and Convertibles because Original parts group  makes reproduction seat covers for 1963 only and and i prefer the 1963 seat pattern so with that being said does anyone have information regarding this thanks.

Picture of ignition switch

Posted by Cees de Bunje on November 27, 2020 at 6:20am 0 Comments

Does anyone have a close-up picture of the ignitionswitch with keys in it made in landscape format? Switch must be in dashboard. Many thanks in advance. Cees.

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service