Hello all!

Was looking to put out there on the group chat - does anyone have any suggestions to tune the Carburetor for 1964 Cadillac 492 2 door 429 V8.

Does anyone have any resources they may suggest to tune or re build? I would even consider shipping the carb out to someone that specializes in this sort of thing.

History: The car was perfectly tuned and running like a top in Michigan . I then moved to Colorado and has since been a struggle to get it right. I've taken the car to (2) shops now who have said they could tune, and adjust the setting correctly, but without success.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is step 1 in the restoration effort to get the car to a daily running healthy status.

Thank you 

Bill McDonald 

bmcdonald@phoenixhaus.com

C: 989 751 2806

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bill,

Rob at RPM Carburetor in Midway City, CA rebuilt my ‘64 de Ville conv. Carb.  It runs like a new car.  Here’s his website.   https://www.rpmcarburetorspecialties.com

Micheal 

I am going to have your carb rebuilder  info posted to - Part Suppliers , Services — Thanks 

Enjoy 

Tony,

Great Idea.  Rob at RPM did a great job rebuilding my carburetor.  I referred RPM to another ‘64 owner who reported to have been very pleased with the rebuild.

Michael

Hey Michael!

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely reach out!

Hope you're having an awesome Saturday!

Bill 

Pull  a spark plug and see what color it is burning 

It’s right when a brown paper bag color ( darker rich - whitish lean ) 

That is your best indicator as to how well your fuel mixture is burning 

I would assume a higher elevation would thin  out the air  density which would directly effect the fuel mixture 

That should cause a leaner fuel mixture ( that and ethanol fuel we have today ) that has the effect of reducing engine performance  power and creating more heat in the cylinders and under the hood 

Always be sure your points and timing are on spec when having  any performance ( power ) issues 

You may have to move back to where you use to live  —- just kidding !

Enjoy 

Thanks Tony & Ginny!

That's very insightful. 

Some backstory - a restoration expert named Bill Dreist helped me tune the car in Michigan, where we are from.. I swear that guy was an expert. It would idle at the perfect RPM, and no issues whatsoever. 

I'll keep posted on the progress as we get her into shape!

Tony likely has it right.  Sounds like a mixture issue related to elevation.

The ethanol in our gasoline today require that the carbs mixture be richer than when our Cadillacs were new with the much higher octane that was common then ( 103-110 octane ) 

I can tell you from experience that the higher octane gas will produce considerable more power in the Cadillacs we are driving but a lot of issues with acquiring that high an octane anywhere and the very high expense of doing that today 

Those days are still some of the best America had to afford its people 

Enjoy 

I hv taken my 63. W 4bl rochester,from montana, 5700 feet to misisipi twice, while set at 5700 feet w no problems

If the car has not had a very complete tune up in the last 6,000 miles ( including ignition wiring if needed ) I would suggest that that be the first thing you do for the engine to produce the power and gas mileage it should be 

Once all engine specs are correct on a new tune up —you can then examine the plugs and see if any carb jetting might be needed

Only ——-after you know the engine spec’ s are correct would you want to be adjusting the carbs mixture on a tack and dwell meter —- ( very last step done in the tune ) which would be after any carb resetting to get the plugs burning the correct color 

If you contact the Edelbrock tech department and explain the size metering rods and jets you currently have 

( parts are all numbered ) they will tell you the new parts  number to install 

when I did my 429 Edelbrock ( or Carter which is the same ) in 2006 the new  carb parts where purchased  over the counter at my  local Autozone parts store 

You do need to know the engine has fresh  parts and running top notch and only then be making your Carb adjustment on instruments that is only done once at that point in time —-and then left alone until a carb is exchanged in the distant future

That would be the correct sequence of events 

Enjoy 

Correction 

Adjust the carb after the  new complete tune up - last 

Run it a bit then check the plugs for color 

Now make any jetting adjustments based on the plug color and give the info to the Edelbrock tec’s who will advise you as to the change you need to make 

If all parts are new already check that the spec’s are correct —-and then do the carb work 

A good strong running engine is one of the joys of my life 

Enjoy 

Good morning Tony & Ginny  -Apologies for my delay in response!

The follow up question I had is would you suggest moving to the Edelbrock carb, and replace the stock carb? 

It looks like you've had success switching to Edelbrock, which allows for follow up support and service as needed vs the stock program that seems to have limited availability for parts, etc.

Thank you 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Web site up with a new design.

Started by Russ Austin in General Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 12 hours ago. 2 Replies

My web site has been down for a few months and I migrated to GoDaddy.com  Best move ever!My new web site rocks, hope you enjoy it.  …Continue

Had the 64 convert out for some Cruising around the town

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 5 Replies

It is 74 degrees sunny and dry in central Fl - what a day !! - Top Down of coarse The usual OOH’S and AH’S people encircling the car when parked -  a NICE yelling from a car  —and a what year is that…Continue

The 64 - 429 Cadillac gas engine —-is a special unique torque monster ! !

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

The 64 Cadillac gas engine is a torque monster —with 480 ft lbs of toque at 3000 RPMs Out of curiosity I looked up my 409 dual quad  425 HP  race engines   specs and it has only 425 ft lbs of torque…Continue

Blog Posts

Oil pump

Posted by Ray Schick on October 30, 2022 at 4:34pm 4 Comments

I removed the front cover to change out the timing chain & gears all that went pretty well when I put the cover back on I put in a fresh oil filter ,filled it up figured it would be enough to prime the oil pump when I started the car .Fired up the car and heard lifters rattling, So I shut the car down right away. So I removed the oil filter housing, and poured oil down the neck of the oil pump housing filled it up and filled up the filter put it all together and fired it up and same…

Continue

Available parts

Posted by Thomas Reichenberger on October 13, 2022 at 11:47pm 0 Comments

Caddy members, I’m upgrading my 64 2-door coupe deville.

motor guy lost my block (machine shop went under) so I’m replacing motor & tranny with LS conversion. I have motor parts (other than block) for 429, rebuilt transmission, converter, and too many other motor parts not needed with fully dressed LS going in.

Email me (Tom.reichenberger@ipsper.com) or call me (210-739-4854) if you’re interested…..I live in San Antonio, TX.

thanks, TX…

Continue

Trunk Open and Lock Mechanism is in Closed Position

Posted by Chris Anderson on September 13, 2022 at 7:14pm 7 Comments

While working on my trunk lock on 64 Cadillac, I mistakenly closed the locking mechanism while the trunk was open.  Is there an easy way to manually release the lock back to the open position?

Thanks.

Fuel Pump Failure

Posted by Jon Shields on August 6, 2022 at 6:48am 4 Comments

Hello,

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia and my 64 sedan de ville is stuck in the garage due to failed mechanical fuel pump. The first after market mechanical fuel pump lasted a few years before it failed & left me stranded 5 hours from home. A hire car and tow got us home. On inspection, I noticed a valve not seated within the housing. I was optimistic, pressed it into place and assumed the pump was good to go. But alas, no. From what I can now determine, the diaphragm pushrod…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service