Hello all!

Was looking to put out there on the group chat - does anyone have any suggestions to tune the Carburetor for 1964 Cadillac 492 2 door 429 V8.

Does anyone have any resources they may suggest to tune or re build? I would even consider shipping the carb out to someone that specializes in this sort of thing.

History: The car was perfectly tuned and running like a top in Michigan . I then moved to Colorado and has since been a struggle to get it right. I've taken the car to (2) shops now who have said they could tune, and adjust the setting correctly, but without success.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is step 1 in the restoration effort to get the car to a daily running healthy status.

Thank you 

Bill McDonald 

bmcdonald@phoenixhaus.com

C: 989 751 2806

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bill 

I would have the stock Carter carb rebuilt by a shop if needed as it is an excellent carb 

The reason I have an Edelbrock is a long story but it is a good replacement for the Carter 

The Edelbrock carb is so much like the stock Carter that you can use the Edelbrock tech’s  feed back on  changing jetting they will  recommend 

First examine your plugs at operating temp after a ride 

The plug color will indicate the adjustment required 

The two  carb metering rods - are under the two metal  flaps—-at the top of the Carter with a screw holding it down - it has a spring  action coming out so  go slow  and careful taking it out 

They want to pop up 

Do not drop any parts into the carb - you can stuff it with a rag 

The two metering rods have numbers on them —give them to the Edelbrock tech’s and they will advise you what numbers  to change too

The carb will have to be opened up if jet changing is needed - those jets are also numbered 

Front jets that have the metering rods -  are the  called primary jets 

The new parts  needed can be purchased over the counter at your local auto supply 

I used Advanced Auto for mine but was a number of years ago 

Plugs SB a brown paper bag color when right 

Whitish is lean and darker is to rich 

I would  make jetting adjustments - only-  after a complete fresh tune up is on spec and the carb mixture has been properly adjusted— then plugs examined for condition after a bit of riding  to evaluate  the engines  overall performance 

The jetting adjustment is the last fine tuning tweak  you will make to the tune up 

Most of our year Cadillacs stock carbs will need to go a bit richer on the primary jets  mixture due to the ethanol in the fuel we use today 

Enjoy 

Man Tony &Ginny!

You're the best - that's really helpful. I am going to be kicking off that service work here shortly, and I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks for the helpful and knowledgeable breakdown on what works etc.

Have an excellent evening 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Web site up with a new design.

Started by Russ Austin in General Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 12 hours ago. 2 Replies

My web site has been down for a few months and I migrated to GoDaddy.com  Best move ever!My new web site rocks, hope you enjoy it.  …Continue

Had the 64 convert out for some Cruising around the town

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 5 Replies

It is 74 degrees sunny and dry in central Fl - what a day !! - Top Down of coarse The usual OOH’S and AH’S people encircling the car when parked -  a NICE yelling from a car  —and a what year is that…Continue

The 64 - 429 Cadillac gas engine —-is a special unique torque monster ! !

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

The 64 Cadillac gas engine is a torque monster —with 480 ft lbs of toque at 3000 RPMs Out of curiosity I looked up my 409 dual quad  425 HP  race engines   specs and it has only 425 ft lbs of torque…Continue

Blog Posts

Oil pump

Posted by Ray Schick on October 30, 2022 at 4:34pm 4 Comments

I removed the front cover to change out the timing chain & gears all that went pretty well when I put the cover back on I put in a fresh oil filter ,filled it up figured it would be enough to prime the oil pump when I started the car .Fired up the car and heard lifters rattling, So I shut the car down right away. So I removed the oil filter housing, and poured oil down the neck of the oil pump housing filled it up and filled up the filter put it all together and fired it up and same…

Continue

Available parts

Posted by Thomas Reichenberger on October 13, 2022 at 11:47pm 0 Comments

Caddy members, I’m upgrading my 64 2-door coupe deville.

motor guy lost my block (machine shop went under) so I’m replacing motor & tranny with LS conversion. I have motor parts (other than block) for 429, rebuilt transmission, converter, and too many other motor parts not needed with fully dressed LS going in.

Email me (Tom.reichenberger@ipsper.com) or call me (210-739-4854) if you’re interested…..I live in San Antonio, TX.

thanks, TX…

Continue

Trunk Open and Lock Mechanism is in Closed Position

Posted by Chris Anderson on September 13, 2022 at 7:14pm 7 Comments

While working on my trunk lock on 64 Cadillac, I mistakenly closed the locking mechanism while the trunk was open.  Is there an easy way to manually release the lock back to the open position?

Thanks.

Fuel Pump Failure

Posted by Jon Shields on August 6, 2022 at 6:48am 4 Comments

Hello,

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia and my 64 sedan de ville is stuck in the garage due to failed mechanical fuel pump. The first after market mechanical fuel pump lasted a few years before it failed & left me stranded 5 hours from home. A hire car and tow got us home. On inspection, I noticed a valve not seated within the housing. I was optimistic, pressed it into place and assumed the pump was good to go. But alas, no. From what I can now determine, the diaphragm pushrod…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service