I’m curious if anyone has installed vintage air in their cars? I am thinking of purchasing a vintage air system but I haven’t found one for 63/64 Cadillac..I have found 63/64 Impala however and I’m pretty sure I can make it work.. what are your guy’s thoughts on that? My 64 is an original ac car and I do have all my components to it. I just thought it would be easier to install the “Vintage Air” ??? Can anyone elaborate

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Frank
Welcome back
I remember when you decided to go --all Red --with your Caddy ( long time ago )
Read all you can on this site about getting your stock AC to be working with possibly some upgrades like a new AC compressor etc if needed
The recent posts by -- Clovis --SB very helpful as he went though the whole system with good explination and detail
That might help you choose the way you may want to go in the future
The stock system does work real good when gone thru and you have the set it and forget it comfort control that you will not have with the Vintage Air system
That is a real nice feature to keep you comfy in your great ride

Most of the builders of 30-40's hot rods do use Vintage Air so they are very good systems

Enjoy

It's cheaper and easier to restore your original comfort control than to put in an aftermarket system. If your original comfort control parts are still intacked it will make it even easier. Sam is another person who has gone through and repaired his system. Mine works just like a new car with automatic temperature control. Read both our threads to get an understanding of what's involved. I too thought about a vintage air unit of some sort but it would have been a generic unit I would have had to make fit. If you went the vintage air route you would need to remove the old system anyways, so just reverse it and reinstall with new o-rings, pump,drier and expansion valve. Add in the stv update kit some pag oil and 134a you'll be 90% there. I bought a vacuum pump and gauges off eBay. 

Have to say Clovis has answered your question as he has been there done that having concidered exactly what you are asking
One of the great features of the stock 64 system is setting the temp to your comfort level -which is not available with a vintage air system ( if you have a 64)
The stock AC system will always -Look Nicer - than any after market unit that just looks out of place and in the way -more than not
I do not care for the look of the unit in the front seat myself
Makes the car more valuable to me from an esthetic point of view

You may be questioning the ability of your stock system to work as well as you require
Trust me --when the system is working as it should it will be all you require from it
My car is around since brand new ( off the show room floor ) and the comfort control is a thing of bueaty when brought back to new operating specs
Just my 2 cents Frank

Enjoy

The original system is very simple and reliable. It is just 53 years old and needs some love and attention. Just like the rest of the car. It also does work flawlessly and Cadillac put a lot of thought into these systems before releasing them into the market. They couldn't afford to look bad as they were the standard of the world. They were not known to be unreliable then and aren't now. Almost all a/c and heat parts are being reproduced or have upgrades available . The electronic side parts are available here through Jason or Russ. Jason just needs to get off his butt and fix his comfort control so he can release some of the parts he's hoarding for himself LOL. I am super glad  I revived mine. One day this fall i was out for a drive going from full sun to clouds back to sun, so on and so on. The temps went up an down by 10 or 15 degrees and rained off and on also. The system worked flawlessly with more heat or a/c added as required to maintain a steady inside temperature. Compare that to an aftermarket a/c heat system your constantly fiddling with. 

Thank you Clovis and Tony this helps me out a lot. I’ll try messing with my original stuff then. I thought it would be easier going the other route. I’m glad I asked. I’ve also been replacing the window rubber, I have door panels and the dash off right now. I’m also planning on putting some nice mirrors with led turn signals my car is 100% original but when I had it painted red the body paint guy didn’t cover the holes that the previous owner made on the passenger side for a mirror.. so I ordered some that look stock but have a little cool kick to them. Does anyone else have problems with the wiring such as more power when you push on the gas pedal? Should I redo all my wiring? Or fuse box? There’s a few little quirks in my car that bother me. I’ve built this baby from the ground up. My dream come true. Poor car rarely sees the road. I’m too nervous driving it, stupid drivers out there!! I carry a matching red bat and a couple other things sometimes lol. Maybe it’s myself I’m scared of. Road rage I guess. Anyway, I wana start driving her more and take my kids for a spin thanks to Jason for the red matching seat belts!!! I put them in the rear I already had my original ones up front that I never use. I’m glad I didn’t have to drill any holes. There are perfect threaded holes with plugs in them under the back seat ? I was shocked. Cadillac thought of everything!!!

Frank if your talking about getting a surge in power and say your headlights get bighter then that would possibly be the voltage regulator or alternator. Check all your grounds, and I mean all of them, as that is a source of problems in all old cars also. Good luck. 

Frank
You can have the electrical sytem checked at any auto store --for free
They will be happy to sell you what you need --so they do that

I second Clovis's suggestion about the regulator or alternator being your problem
I am thinking regulator myself
Do this --pull the negative battery terminal
Remove the regulator --and clean all the connections to the firewall and a loose wire end there
Clean the terminals to the wire harness - both male and female ( those in the harness should be removed to clean )

A --bad ground there --could ( should ) be your problem
Both Jason and i got out changing system back working correctly when doing that as the ground connection went bad
That would be the first thing i would do
Then see if it corrects your problem which it verynwell might

The next step would be to have the system checked to see if the regulator or alternator have gone bad

Anytime you cause --any kind of electrical flash in the cars electrical system --when working on the car you can burn out your--regulator
So disconnect the battery --negative terminal when doing anything electrical

I have a reasonable good feeling you could correct the problem for free which is always a nice thing
Let us know how this works out

Enjoy

Frank

New stock mirrors are being reproduced if you have any interest in going that route
You may not know they are available
So just a heads up

Enjoy

I wouldn't mix the old components with the new ones.

The old system is low pressure and won't work well with newer compressors, etc.

Believe me I tried!

Hmmm....I've got a new style a6 with 134a in my 64 and it works great. I also have a 77 colony park with a completely stock system with 134a again ice cold air. Other than a stv update kit and the compressor the 64 is factory. Am I doing something wrong?  Before I rebuilt my system 95% of what I read on the internet said it will not work right. A frozen evaporator doesn't care if it's frozen with r12 or 134a, its still freezing. If your system won't work it's because you or someone else has done it wrong and or missed something. Heck you can make it work with propane if you do it right, its just a tad dangerous. 

Only our resident Mad Scientist would know that last bit....... oh dear.

Helium is much better to use in an a/c system. You know you have a leak when everyone is pissing themselves laughing.  Now that I think of it nitrous would be great too pmsl.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

1964 THM Tilt Neutral Safety Switch

Started by Charles Fares in For Sale 8 hours ago. 0 Replies

For Sale:Excellent used neutral safety switch for 1964 with THM and tilt steering.  Part number 1993653, or short number "653".  Send me an e-mail: faresmcmthelix@msn.com.Charles FaresLa Mesa,…Continue

You Know You Are Into Some Serious Car Doctor When You Have to Get the Ice Out!

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Charles Fares 8 hours ago. 13 Replies

You know you are into some serious car doctoring when you have to get the ice packs out. More to come on my 64 Coupe de Ville resuscitation in the next 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter!  Mades…Continue

Leaky Windshield

Started by Tom Bahner in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 12 hours ago. 3 Replies

Hey all, has anyone had their windshield removed and resealed successfully. I'm pretty skittish about having someone mess with my perfectly good glass knowing that these cars are a little different…Continue

The 5 Main Things I Recommend to All New 1963/64 Cadillac Owners

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 16 hours ago. 2 Replies

Here are the 5 main things I recommend to all new 1963/64 Cadillac Owners: - Join the CLC (Cadillac & LaSalle Club).   To join go to…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service