Well,  after the tire change, car running good......... then on a pleasure cruise for abour 35 miles to my destination.   25 miles in, back end vibration came back home to roost.  I was goung 55 to 65 on the trip.  Had to pyll over.  Now, im not the type to lose my temper, throw tools, or hv tantrums, but im gettin to my wits end on this.   After i pulked over, i felt the hubcake,  not overly hot.  So i decided to drive on at about 40,  as i got miving i pushed on up to 55, not one vibration.   So,  wtf coukd it possibly be from here.

I have had.....

Shoes changed

Changed cylinder.... twice! First new one was stuck!

Axle gasket replaced

Tires replaced

Had drums re cut,

Whats left?

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kim,

I sympathize.  I jus got a 1964 sedan deville and had the same issue.  I'd get it up to 50MPH and a low frequency vibration would start.  It would grow until I could see the hood bouncing.  I had to pull over to make it stop.  I tried a bunch of things but believe it was a front brake adjustment that fixed it (so far).  I had over adjusted the front drums and after they got hot the vibration would start.  

Yes.  Very frustrating.  I woukd go out for ride w big smile.  15 min later was turning around....pissed.   i think brakes are fixed.  Other than that last episode of rear shake, last couple rides hv been ok.  Just tge uncertainity of a pitential problem sitting in wait. You kno the potential is tgere, just waiting on it to rise at most in opprtune time,  like on a hot date (well,as hot as a date can be  being over 55).    Heres hoping for best

It is interesting that you describe the kind of shaking and vibration you explain and relate it to a front brake issue
I had the same kind of vibration but only when i was coming to a stop from 10 miles an hour and below every time i would hit the brakes --to stop
Not at 50 MPH
A very Violent shanking of the front end

My problem was brake shoe related
The brake shoe friction material was not able to handle the heat generated by our large drum brakes and where glazing and cracking the shoes
My shop gave me back my car doing this after having my front brakes and the entire car gone over from one end to another
It took me a long time to work thru this problem --as new part were just installed and NOT thought to be the problem for that reason
Sounds like a similar problem at very different speeds
New defective parts -present a new set of problems when working thru an issue
The new part are --least suspect as they are new

Kim --just went thru this with a bad new brake cylinder that was causing his rear brakes to hang up -over heat and drag on him
Took a while to work thu that for the same reasons

Enjoy

Enjoy

Kim

I would do one thing at a time
You did the grease in the U joints - so test to see if the problem does not return rather than throwing parts at the problem
The grease should tighten up any slack in the U joint caps which might help this
When and if the problem resurfaces i would do the new rear control arm bushings and then the driveshaft inspection -or the other way around
A plan for the future if needed

Enjoy

Kim

As the Italians say in NY -- " FORGETABOUT IT !!!!! " ( until it returns --- ) --LOL !!!!

Enjoy !

Kim

The very up side of this is ---that when you do finally get all things corrected and repaired ---that will pop up --there will be a very long period of time just enjoying the fruits of your labor and the joy of owning and driving the car

There is a light at the end of the( greasy ) tunnel !!!

That is --UNLESS you spend so much time --Test Driving - the car that you wear it out and need a complete drivetrain rebuild ---PMSL !!

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

power window issues

Started by Ryan Frawley in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Hey all, new guy, as you can tell because I'm going to be asking a question that's been answered a hundred times. Been looking for a while and I can't seem to find anything in detail.I have a 64…Continue

Wits end!

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 13 hours ago. 30 Replies

Well,  after the tire change, car running good......... then on a pleasure cruise for abour 35 miles to my destination.   25 miles in, back end vibration came back home to roost.  I was goung 55 to…Continue

Wanted

Started by James jacques in Wanted to Buy 18 hours ago. 0 Replies

Looking for 1964 coupe passenger front window and driver side fender molding 786-314-1360 jamesContinue

Blog Posts

64 Power Seat Transmission cleaning-it did the trick

Posted by Norman Silverman on June 16, 2018 at 5:36pm 4 Comments

Hello All.

I thought I'd post a little encouragement for those that might have an inoperative 6 way power seat in their car. The fix is relatively easy, and VERY cheap.

I just purchased an original (not re-painted, nor reupholstered) 64 Sedan De Ville 4 window. When I purchased it the front seat was adjusted forward and tilted down in front; two of the worst positions for me, so I had no choice but to attempt to repair it. 

Pushing the switch in each direction brought…

Continue

Driver side door panel removal

Posted by Anthony Boles on June 16, 2018 at 9:32am 2 Comments

How is the door panel taken off to access the wiring harness 

Driver side door panel removal

Posted by Anthony Boles on June 16, 2018 at 8:16am 0 Comments

How is the door panel taken off to access the wiring harness 

429 Main Bearing location

Posted by Dave Fundaburg on June 6, 2018 at 8:11pm 1 Comment

I saw this question asked in 2012 but did not see a definitive answer to the question so here goes. The new main bearings I received for my build are little different than the originals. Of the five bearings the thrust bearing is the same as are two of the other bearings. Of the other two one has two oil groves and one is wider than the others. Does anyone know where the odd bearings go. My guess is they go in the front and the rear but I don't know what one goes where. Any information would…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service