I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.
By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January- that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be working properly as well as the auto headlight dimmer.
Here are the two problems:
- When I turn the car off, sometimes but not always, the generator light glows brightly- but turns off as soon as the engine starts. ( this problem appeared, and showed up after replacing a dead almost new battery, then disappeared the next two times I drove the car, then reappeared today-
- Sometimes, but not always, the brake lights remain lit after I get out of the car, but shut themselves off afterward- This seems to happen when the headlights have been on. This only started happening about the same time the generator light problem occurred.
- When I disconnect the battery and/or reconnect it (I have a switch on it) I hear a clicking coming from somewhere in the passenger. side of the engine- compartment seems to be below in the front and sounds like a relay clicking. Seems to be coming from near the starter.
- The car has automatic dimmers that work flawlessly.
- I tried jiggling the light switch, ignition, switch and engaging the starter relay, but no effect on the generator light.
- This problem first appeared about 1-1/2 months ago, noticed after I experienced a dead almost new battery while the car was parked- after replacing the dead battery-I noticed the light for the first time.
- Today after taking the car out for the first time (after a local ride about ten days ago), there was no appearance of the generator light. However, the oil light was on when the car was first started.
- After starting the car, I shut the engine and checked the oil level which was fine. When we got going, the oil light went off. [The car had a double engine rebuild (once without the low end and second time with) and the oil pump was rebuilt with new internal parts by me personally.] Very little mileage since- about 1000 miles since 2016. The oil light has never been a problem since either rebuild.
- Today, after taking a 35-mile high speed ride with the car performing flawlessly, when I turned off the highway, the oil light came on. After a few minutes, the oil light turned off, but then came on again when the engine slowed to idle speed with the car stopped in gear.
- I checked the wire and plug on the oil pressure switch- it was good.
- On the trip back, the oil light was on and off in the parking light, but on the road, it was off the whole time on the 35 mile trip back- about 65-80 cruising speed. Again the engine ran perfectly.
- When I got off the highway, the oil light came on every time we were stopped and idling in gear or slowing down. At slightly higher revs above the idle in gear, the oil light turned off.
Any thoughts, insights or similar experiences/solutions greatly appreciated.
Thanks and best regards,