Hello Co-Members,

I recently purchased a  low mileage1963 Sedan Deville Park Avenue.  It is extremely solid and runs well.  Neverthelss, it has minor problems that need to be addressed before I can consider it roadworthy.

Firstly, I need to replace or rebuild the power brake booster.  It appears that 1962 and 1963 models are unique in that the master cylinder has four rather than two bolts holding it onto the booster.  I like the master cylinder due to the fact that it has two screw on plugs rather than a cap and snap rod holding the cap onto the top.  I suspect that power brake boosters for 1964 and 1965 models will work if I change the master cylinder too.  Does anyone know that for sure?

Thank you. 

Stephen Pechenik

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stephen, There were two boosters and master cylinders used in 1963 Bendix with the 4 bolts and Delco Morraine with 2 bolts. These look very different and need to mate the Delco Booster to Delco Master Cylinder and Bendix Booster to Bendix Master Cylinder. I have heard you can mate one brand up to the other with some mods but I am not familiar with and recommend keeping with the same brand. In 1964 the Bendix changed to a 2 bolt setup, but was still very different from the 1964 Delco. So between 1963 and 1964 you had basically 4 different setups. Yes, you can take a later setup (1965) or aftermarket but to save yourself some trouble you want to match the booster brand to master cylinder brand.

Just for reference, Here is a 1963 Bendix

Here is a 1963 Delco

Here is a 1964 Bendix:

Here is a 64 Delco:

One final note, I get asked how to tell the different. The easiest way is to look for the "Bendix Bumps" The raised round circular area where it mates up to the master cylinder. Below is a 64 Bendix on the left with an aftermarket/later year style master cylinder. Easy to see it is a Bendix from the "Bumps". On the right you see the Bendix matted to a 1964 style Bendix master cylinder. 

Dear Jason,

Thank you very much for the photos.  I have been a car collector for many years and appreciate the details that you furnished.  I have owned about 20 Cadillacs and have learned the hard way how valuable this sort of information is.  I just received the factory repair manual yesterday.  Sure enough, similar details were given.

I hope that you have the courage to inform me when I am overreaching.  You are certainly a worthy informational source and I look forward to meeting you at some meet in the future.

Very truly yours,

Stephen Pechenik

The Bendix parts are much harder to find today than  the Delco parts that are more readily available on the market last check 

So going with a Delco MC and Booster will get it done 

An option is to have yours rebuilt and the info is in the help section to get that done 

Stay Safe 

Dear Tony and Ginny,

Thank you for the insight and assistance. I will use your photos to determine which brand the car has. I have opted for rebuilding of the unit I have as the replacement units that I have found are very expensive. This car has 48,000 miles on its odometer. It has practically no rust. My only regret is that it lacs a/c. Nevertheless, I plan to drive it this summer and decide whether or not to repaint it this fall as it has a very bad paint job over the original paint presently.  But,  I digress...

Thanks again.

Very truly yours,

Stephen Pechenik

Stephan
You are very welcome but have to give Jason our webmaster the credit for the photos and explanation above mine which he is so very good at doing 

Glad we could help 

Stay Safe 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Locating radial tires for a stock 64 convert rim

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 10 hours ago. 2 Replies

Did some looking around to see where i could find some new 265 75r 15  radial tires for the 64 convert The current radial I have on the car I was  very surprised to see the size has become a problem…Continue

Tags: stock, rim, 64, a, tires

vacuum canister

Started by Walt Timmerman in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 11 hours ago. 2 Replies

what is the vacuum canister for that is behind the drivers front fender?After removing my fender I see its got a hole in the top but nothing is hooked to it and no line is laying there.Any help would…Continue

Where is the a/c evaporator box drain

Started by Tosh Dickenson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 13 hours ago. 1 Reply

I can't spot the traditional evaporator box drain tube on my '64 Deville.  I don't like how the water runs down the body line.  Is there an integrated drain tube?  If not, has anybody added…Continue

front end pieces.

Started by Walt Timmerman in Wanted to Buy 13 hours ago. 0 Replies

looking for LH drivers side boomerag piece, middle piece for the grille, both braces on the back of the grille and the lower end of the bumper on the right side. My car was hit in the front end. Its…Continue

Blog Posts

Electrical

Posted by Anthony Boles on August 8, 2020 at 5:46pm 5 Comments

My 1964 Cadillac electrical system is running around 17 volt which is to high,the alternator, battery and the voltage regulator was replaced but the voltage is still to high, could it be the pig tail that plugs into the voltage regulator. 

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 10 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service