My 1964 Eldorado convertible stalls while driving.  It completely goes dead, it will not start up right away. when you turn the key there is no sound at all.     After sitting for about 5 minutes, turn the key and the car starts right up.  Already replace the fuel pump . It still happens.    Does anyone have any idea on what may be going on? 

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a similar problem a few years ago. In my case it turned out to be the ignition switch. From what you describe it sounds like an electrical problem. Check ignition wiring. connections, components, battery cables, grounds,  etc.

If you dont know the age of the battery cables, just replace them.  At the ignition switch, check for blackened or darkened connectors. That indicates a loose and heated connector.  Check the connector to the bottom of the fuse block also.  Connection at the battery terminal on the starter needs to be check as well.

Be sure that the  end of the negative battery cable ( which is  located under the battery tray ) has a clean shinny connection were it connects to the cars frame 

One of the more important ground connections 

Are you at speed or at an idle when the car shuts off ?

Enjoy 

At full speed. It starts to sputter then shuts down.

I would consider having your local auto store check your charging system ( alt output )  and your batteries current condition 

The second being  more of a concern 

Clean  up your battery terminals and replace both battery cables to see the results first 

Feels like an intermittent electrical connection as suggested by the other posts 

Down right dangerous the problem you are having out on the road shutting down 

Keep us posted on your results 

Enjoy 

What ever means you use I would determine the current condition of the battery first  go from there to then  trouble shoot electrical wiring connections as suggested by others 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 29 seconds ago. 275 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Dash Grille - Adhesive?

Started by Chris McBride in General Discussion. Last reply by Chris Codd 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

This dash grille likes to vacation from the dashboard.  Is it properly secured with an adhesive and, if so, what adhesive?  If so, what type?  If not, how is it secured?Thank you.…Continue

Wiper Blades for a '63?

Started by Karl Schwarz in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 17 hours ago. 3 Replies

Is there anything special about the wiper blades I should use on my '63 Series 62 convertible? I have the original arms with the original blade brackets. I got Anco N-18R blades that should fit. I…Continue

Resistance wire removal or replacement

Started by Anders in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 20 hours ago. 38 Replies

Resistance wire removal or replacement.If installing an electronic ignition system the resistance wire most likely has to be removed or bypassed. There are several ways to do this and the solution…Continue

Tags: wire, resistance

Blog Posts

Rumble Sound at 55-60 mph

Posted by Ray Schick on September 20, 2021 at 10:45pm 6 Comments

64 Coupe DeVille , while driving at 55-60 mph I have a oscillating rumble sound . Steering wheel does not shake or vibrate . Transmission mount looks good .Tires were replaced 2 years ago balanced and rebalanced recently. Axel bearings were just replaced, rear differential assembly was just replaced with a Posi track ,pinion bearings good. Fresh gear lube. Driveshaft checked and balanced the other day ,new center bearing installed and new bearing carrier assembly too. Trying to figure this…

Continue

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service