My 1964 Eldorado convertible stalls while driving.  It completely goes dead, it will not start up right away. when you turn the key there is no sound at all.     After sitting for about 5 minutes, turn the key and the car starts right up.  Already replace the fuel pump . It still happens.    Does anyone have any idea on what may be going on? 

Views: 237

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a similar problem a few years ago. In my case it turned out to be the ignition switch. From what you describe it sounds like an electrical problem. Check ignition wiring. connections, components, battery cables, grounds,  etc.

If you dont know the age of the battery cables, just replace them.  At the ignition switch, check for blackened or darkened connectors. That indicates a loose and heated connector.  Check the connector to the bottom of the fuse block also.  Connection at the battery terminal on the starter needs to be check as well.

At full speed. It starts to sputter then shuts down.

RSS

Photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

Forum

Take heads off for rebuild

Started by Ian Arnold in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kurt on Saturday. 13 Replies

Compression test 15 years ago was good. Not a lot of miles since then. Summer car.Last year had a oil pressure issue. Found an aluminum flake had stuck open oil pressure relief valve. (Low pressure…Continue

1963 Dashboard With Autronic Eye Hole

Started by Earl R in For Sale. Last reply by Earl R on Friday. 4 Replies

I bought this from a yard in Washington state.  I was told it was pulled and kept inside as soon as the car came in. I was going to dye and install it in my '63 Eldorado but sold the car.  Please see…Continue

Tags: Dash

Congratulations Logan Robb!

Started by Jason Edge in Chapter Discussion. Last reply by Dennis P. DiBari Sep 24. 1 Reply

A Big Congratulations to 63-64 Chapter member Logan Robb with his October 2026 The Self-Starter cover story featuring his 1964 Fleetwood 60 Special.Way to go, Logan!!…Continue

October, November, December 1962 Serviceman Bulletins Rescanned & Uploaded

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion Sep 16. 0 Replies

Some time back I started rescanning the Serviceman Bulletins starting with October 1962 and the October Supplement as it was the month the 1963 Cadillac was introduced. I scanned November and let…Continue

Blog Posts

Authenticity Manual

Posted by Dennis P. DiBari on August 27, 2026 at 12:45pm 2 Comments

Hi Robert,

     I emailed you more pictures for the Authenticity Manual.

Dennis DiBari

1963 RHS A/C kick panel - photos needed

Posted by SK on June 2, 2025 at 2:20pm 2 Comments

Could someone post front and back photos of the 1963 right-hand kick panel with A/C?

My car didn’t come with the original kick panels, so it's a bit of a mystery to me how I should cut the backing board and carpet to fit around the A/C.

Many thanks,

-Samu

'63 Tailfin Tales

Posted by Mark Mata on February 22, 2025 at 5:00pm 9 Comments

New old stock seat material

Posted by Ray Schick on August 22, 2024 at 6:25pm 2 Comments

I bought this seat material thinking that it’s…

Continue

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2026   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service