while out for a cruise and to a car show, i was heading home, car started sputtering,, would go, then no feel ing of gas, would go a while, then sputter .  i started thinking of quickest way home with out to many stops,  got about 6 blocks and it died.   

it sounded or felt like a car does when you run out of gas, but, that is not possible as I just put gas in it about 2 hours earlier, so i have half a tank, but that is the feeling,,   sputtering, then go, then sputter some more, then go,, then died,

walked home, going back in the truck see if i can get it started with some fuel in carb and sputter it home,

it is not running hot, no other particular symptom.  

would his be most likely fuel pump or blocked fuel filter,, ??

anyway, thought on the above while i go and try to get er home.. I'm just glad i did nt suffer embarrassment of it croaking at the car show as i drove through, but then again,, some one there may have known what it was,, oh well,, 

old cars i guess

Views: 661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Back to this problem

over last few days, i have been driving the car pretty regularly, no problems with this sputter and spitting, i got hood insulation in.  

last night, on a some what extended run of about 30 minutes , it started again to sputter,  was going about 55 or so, then just cut out, for about 3 seconds,  i stepped on it and it picked back up and i could feel a very light missing action,, just didnt seems to be running right, and then, it would do an extended sputter,  

so today,  i checked the video again to make sure i was looking at it right, i put a stick on the weight post of the heat riser, and it was operating what seemed like freely.   got the car going took for about 10 minute ride downtown, engine temp got to 1/4  where it usually runs. and then went home to check,, the weight post was down near the bottom position where it should be, according to the video..  I did not notice any of the light sort of putter that occurred last night, its kind of hard to describe.  its like its just not hitting on all 8,, but very subtle,,but when i get that sort of feeling in the car, the big sputter is usually not to far off..but it doesnt do it all the time.    I makes me not confident i can take an extended drive,, 

I put in the clear fuel filter and it is full while the car is running.   Soooooo,,

any other ideas on what may be causing this sputter,, ??

Kim, I'm with Tony on this; I think your problem is fuel delivery issue, esp since  you say it feels like running out of gas and a restriction would tend to show up while driving esp the faster you go. Have you checked for debris or clog going into fuel pump? How old is the pump? When you get low on gas , drain the tank . I'd rap on the bottom of the tank while it's draining. See what you get. Easier than removing if it looks OK. Just my thoughts on this.

HI,  

well, the fuel filter is clear,  dont know about fuel pump age,, i guess will get the hoses and consider replacing them.

Is there a drain for the fuel tank, ?  i dont remember seeing one when i was under there,,,

i took it out today for a high speed ride  55 -to 70 mph for 10 to 15 miles, didnt have problem, but did encounter other headaches that i posted over on my brake problem topic from while ago.

Kim
When was your last complete tune up -including new ignition wires done ?
Are the plugs new ?

Could you be explaining a sputter for a misfire in one or more cylindes ?

Enjoy

I put petronix in back in nov.

Plugs replaced after gas in engine problem bk in sept.

Sputter feels like running out of gas.  About 2 second delay in power.  I hit gas , it pulls out if it. Other times, its just like the word sputter sounds, just a quick sort of a series losses of power that either correct or lead into a longerdelay.  Odd thing is, its not every time i go out, and i cnt isolate the or duolicate the condition. 

You have a plug at the bottom of the gas tank

Enjoy

Do you know the condition of your needles and seat valve in the carb float bowls ?
How old is the carb -if you know ?

Are your ignition wires new ?

Starting to think your carb needs to be rebuilt or replaced --or do you know if and when that was done in the past ?

Enjoy

You mean the wires to spark pug wires?  No. Not new

No idea on the carb

Kim

Pls install new ignition wires --ASAP
That will improve performance if overlooked - and they are very often Overlooked
Replace one at a time --matching the old one --to the new one for the correct lengths
Do what you can to keep the wires off metal surfaces where possible
Wire looms can be purchsed and help space the wires

Hot antifreeze on ignition wires damages the wire coating ( or just heat and time ) and the wires spark then --ARCHS --to metal causing spark timing firing issues ( all bad )
I think the wiring might develope some resistance over time

My car came back to life the last time i changed out my wires for a very pleasent surprise
Do give it a try if you do not know the history of your ignition wires

Enjoy

ok,  will replace,  

Kim

We are talking about the spark plug wires

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

1964 Interior AC/Heater Box Removal

Started by Travis in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Travis 5 hours ago. 13 Replies

Newby question here!  I've read through the shop manual and as many threads as I could find on here, but I'm still stumped on exactly how to remove the interior plastic Heater/AC box from my 64 SDV…Continue

Tags: vacuum, mode, door, box, a/c

What gasket or seal at the PCV pipe under intake?

Started by Tosh Dickenson in General Discussion. Last reply by Tosh Dickenson 11 hours ago. 2 Replies

Wonder what kind of seal goes on the metal PCV pipe under the intake?  It looks like the larger part is kind of a press fit into the manifold but maybe there was a rubber gasket under the bolt that…Continue

Ordering Polyurethane Replacement Trailing Arm Bushings

Started by Dan McNarry in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Dan McNarry 11 hours ago. 3 Replies

There seems to be growing interest in the poly bushings. In order for me to keep track of who wants bushings, please send me a message along with or in lieu of a reply to either this thread or the…Continue

Drain plug and speedo bullet seal.

Started by Pete Grodem in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 16 hours ago. 3 Replies

Hello,Sealing  up my 63 Jetaway duel coupling and questioning the drain plug and the speedo bullet, both used an o ring for sealing. This does not seam proper as the o ring gets crushed when…Continue

Blog Posts

How to sensibly deal with the Corona Virus

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on March 14, 2020 at 5:02pm 6 Comments

https://theamericanscholar.org/covid-19-a-primer/

I found this very helpful, written by a knowledgeable authority in public health. 

Remember, Viruses are not spread by Cadillacs so get out and drive!

Safe & Healthy travels. 

Jeff Kinzler

1963 Eldorado convertible boot

Posted by Les Eastling on February 27, 2020 at 10:33am 1 Comment

I need a used convertible boot for a 63 Cadillac convertible - condition or color is not an issue since it will be used as a pattern for making a new one. One from either a 62 series convertible or an Eldorado would work. I know I am searching for hen's teeth here... but you never know unless you ask!

Looking for 63 Convertible / Coupe rear side trim

Posted by Gene McIlroy on January 24, 2020 at 12:18pm 0 Comments

Want to find a good straight dent free rear side trim for my 1963 Convertible.  I have both sides but they do not match.  Wanting to get them to match.  I am attaching a photo of the two trim sided that I have really wanting the squared off trim if I can get it.  Let's see what you have,…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service