De-Yellowing Convertible Rear Plastic Windows by Jaye Koppenhaver

We recently featured the Tech Tip De-Yellowing Convertible Rear Plastic Windows by Jaye Koppenhaver in the February 2017 63/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter. I have uploaded it to our website and will link to this thread in from our Help Page.

Here is the link to the article: De-Yellowing Convertible Rear Plastic Windows

Views: 448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent tech tip.

Looking foward to using this tip as soon as the temps go back to 80 degrees as sunlight is a big part of the fix
I wish we would have had a --before picture -of the rear window in the article so we could see how far the window came back to life
Sure somehow there are different degrees of damage done to a convertible rear window from the exterior elements
I will report back when i get to do this to my rear window some time in the future
I just love it when i see a clean rear covertible window on our year cars as it is so large clean and fresh looking

Enjoy
Over looking the article again that first photo on top of the article could be the before photo ( has a lot of reflection in it and brown grass )
If so his rear window was not in very bad condition to start with but most certainly came back to better

Enjoy

I wish I knew about this sooner. I decided to get a new rear plastic window because of the yellow and I saw some cracking. What I do now is before I put the top down which is a map folding science all its own is to unzip the window and lay it open in the trunk. I also with the new window began using some stuff I have used for years on my boat plastic side windows called Klear-To-Sea. It has a cost to it but it does do what the label says, namely anti-fog, anti finger print, anti-smudge, reduces glare, and semi repairs small not too deep scratches. I'm not pushing the product but it works on the boat where if the same stupid stuff happened in my car those people would be walking    

Not sure how the window can sit in the trunk unless you mean the convertible top well that the top goes into when it is down

Do lube the zipper
A candle is good to do that
If you damage the zipper from constantly removing the window you will have a new set of problems to deal with so just a heads up
With age the zipper can get brittle and could be a problem not sliding or the material ripping again mostly with age
Your zipper is most likely new now but constant use of it could very well cause a problem with it some time on it in the future

Having owned convertibles all my life i would recommend dusting off the convertible top and rear window EVERy time you put the top down
The dust or any grit can be nasty on the clear rear window having a sandpaper kind of effect on it Going down and folding as it does

I use a top sealer after the white top is very clean that puts a nice shine on the white top
I seal the back window with Armorol and keep all dust and grit off the clear window cleaning it often
Do keep those very large very beautiful clear rear convertible top windows just that way

Enjoy

The convertible top manual (previously posted on this site), suggests releasing the top from the front windshield locks to reduce strain before unzipping the rear window.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Center bearing - replacement.

Started by Anders in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Norman Silverman 6 hours ago. 23 Replies

Had some sound from the propeller shaft and as the rear wheel bearings just been replaced I thought it would be the center bearing. Removed the propeller shaft and checked the center bearing (as per…Continue

The Central Florida weather could just not get any better !!

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 7 hours ago. 1 Reply

No Description

Wanted: retaining clips for dash pad legs

Started by Mark Geertsma in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Russ Austin 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

Looking for the retaining clips (L+R) that the "legs" of the dashpad snap into. Mine are missing. Continue

1964 429 & Trans For Sale

Started by Russ in For Sale 22 hours ago. 0 Replies

Anyone in need of a 429 & trans? Was running when pulled from car but had low compression on a few cylinders if memory serves me right. Engine/trans are in Phoenix. Russ, 562.858.6926Continue

Blog Posts

64 Recirc/Fresh Air Door Actuator replaced; FROM THE INSIDE.

Posted by Norman Silverman on February 4, 2019 at 11:21pm 8 Comments

I am happy to report that I have successfully replaced the Fresh Air/Recirc door actuator that is located on the blower box-and have done so without having to remove the blower box. I did it by taking out the glove box and attacking it from the back.  It took several days, LOTS of patience and some band-aids, but it is done. THE most difficult part -BY FAR- is to remove and then replace the screw that sits on the actuator arm, connecting it to the fresh…

Continue

Flashers

Posted by Mike Petrey on January 13, 2019 at 12:25pm 7 Comments

Where do the flashers go in my 64 Deville Convert.  I'm thinking that's why both turn signals stopped working.

Source for Motor mounts and Trans mounts 1964 SDV

Posted by Norman Silverman on January 9, 2019 at 4:23pm 4 Comments

Hi.

Where is the best place to purchase good quality motor mounts/trans mounts for my 1964 SDV? I see that Rock Auto has them for $8 and change, and others for $24 and change. Big difference. Is there a better place to buy them from?

Thanks

Norm

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service