I got rms seal chged and all bk together. Tried to start, nothing. No lights nothing, so i got to lookong around figuring that therecwasnt but one connection elextrical. I tested battery for drainage, it was ok. I then shook a few wies to see. If i pulled something land the big one going to starter from battery i didnt hook up. It got hung up when i took it off and didnt see it when i put starter back in. Well, when shook it i hit someting and sparked pretty good. So i unhooked again, rehooked up the wire to started and hit switch. The generator light now comes on, but engine does budge. Just the gen light, and it sort of looks weak. So i cked fuses, none look blown. I took the big 40 amp power fuse out and turned key, gen light still comes on but just like with it in, the engine is silent.
So what would be next in line to check, the voltage regulator and how would you check that. Solenoid? I just dnt know enough about power to know were to look next. Thanks
You must disconnect the batteries neg terminal any time you do any kind of electrical work of any kind on the car
you grounded the positive terminal of the battery and shorted the battery some with the starter power wire going to ground
Not sure myself what else you may have damaged but the ignition switch and the regulator may be part of the issue
just my best guess
sure others will chime in with more electrical knowledge
Cannot wait until you get the engine started to see your rms repair results
I had it undone during the whole process,hooked it up to start, then neglected to undo when i startee looking. Call me forrest!
If you small the ignition switch and it smells like burn plastic that might be a clue it’s bad
The regulator could smell burnt as well
Again just my best guesses
Do you know exactly what the power wire hit when you saw the sparks and for how long the short lasted before you could correct the issues?
The battery took a hit so charge it back up if you can do that
Not much to check on the regulator it’s either good or bad but bad if the Gen light stay on after a start up
The short happened qucikly as i wasmoving the wire. Its how i knew it was hooked up. I think it hit the block. Happened so quick. No burning smell. Ive had that happen b4 so i am famiar w that burnt wire smell
Currently, when you turn key, gen light comes on, when you turn it further to the crank position, gen light gets brighter, but the engine, everything is silent.
Contact Russ and tell him what happen he is our best electrical guy
I want you to smell the ignition switch as close as you can get to it under the dash - remove the panel
You burned a hole in your positive cable. Take off the cable and have a look at it, see the black scorch mark in the middle, then get a new one. Try the spiffy spring style ones Jason has.
I happened to hv a positive cord in my exrra stuff. Hooked up, same response. Gen light comes on, fuel gage starts moving radio starts up, but no power. I figured it cnt be starter cause it wasnt even hooked up. So let me know wat you think is nxt in the list to ck. Didnt see scorch mark on cord, but its black. But nothing i would say looked like an electrical burn.
i didn't read the part where you had no power before the spark... just saw the part with the spark and i assumed that was the issue. So did you reinstall all the wires to the starter? that's first, and be sure none broke. That's the junction connection for the electrical system. sounds as though some of the wires that belong on the big lug aren't connected.
Hey, i say i did, altho i didnt at the first hook up. Thus the big spark. The positive wire was hanging, when i pulled it, it hit and sparked. When i did hook it up, thats when gen light came on but only the light. No engine tyrnover at all. No clicking nothing.
Same condituon w new wire. Hv to go under again and look tomoro, didnt get above 35btoday, cold, tomoro better, 50s
Check the NSS. Jump the big 2 wires together and see if the gal will crank.
Will ck that too