I have a brand new Edelbrock 1406 carburetor the I would like to install on my 63. I have used these carbs on several vehicles that I have owned (Fords) and they work very well straight from the box. My concern is connecting the TV rod to my Jetaway tranny. Is there a way to mate the TV rod bracket from my AFB to the Edelbrock carb or do I need to get creative? I spent some serious dollars to have my tranny rebuilt and would hate to screw it up over a simple carb swap. Thanks

Views: 2165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pull the spark plugs and use a spark plug chart ( on the internet ) to determine the color your plugs are burnning --now
Pull you metering rods and read the numbers on them
Call the Edelbrock techs and tell them what you are trying to do ( leaner or richer )
They will tell you which metering rod numbers you need to try
The rods and jets are available at the local auto store
Run the car on the new rod for a little while --then reread the plugs

My plugs on my 64-429 were burning on the white side ( lean ) with my new Edelbrock 1406 and i had to go two sizes richer ( one at a time ) on the metering rods to get to the correct paper bag color on the plugs
The ethanol in our fuel requires about a 10% richer mixture than stock --on the stock carb

You must be Sure --you have no vacuum leaks in the intake manifold as that alone will lean your fuel mixture
The carb should be done -- dead last -after you know all other specs on the engine are set perfectly ( after a fresh tune up )
You can set the two idle adjustment screws at the front of the edelbrock or stock carb with an Expanded RPM meter ( adjust the screws until the RPMs go as they will --on that meter ) or you local gargae can put a tool in your exhaust to read the fuel mixture ( as Russ is suggesting - he has that exhaust sensor himself )

Setting the carb up correctly is a ----one time --new carb adjustment --and once correct should not be changed in the future until another new carb is installed

That should get you where you want to be

Enjoy

A Dwell angle meter ( for point adjustments ) will have the expanded RPM meter as part of it

The above should read -- until the RPMs go as high as is possible when adjusting the front carb screw adjustments

The RPMs will increse and then start to decrease as you are making the adjustment
Keep the adjustment where the RPMS stay the highest on the expanded meter

Enjoy

My 1406 on my 64- 429 had to be made richer with metering rods and a jetting change
Required for the pump gas we now are using
This was done in two stages with the direct help from the Edelbrock techs
Your 390 may be a bit different
Give the techs the numbers on the rods and jets you now have
They will tell you what to do next

The proof the jetting is correct is when the plugs are burning a paper bag color
This needs to be be done -- only after all other engine issues have been corected and a complete tune up is done
Then it is time to set up the carb correctly ( jetting and idle mixture ) and --NOT touch it again --for any reason ( or until a new replacement carb is installed again )

Do not --for any reason-- play with the carbs mixture settings at the front of the carb any other time - than the set up at time of a new carb installation

I see people playing with the carb adjustments to often --so had a need to explain that
Changing the carb adjustments any other time will make the car run worse not better unless done on meters or a bung ( air mixture sensor in the exhaust pipe )

If and when your points and timing are on spec these cars run smooth and strong as a rule
If any issues with engine performance that WB the first place to go to be sure those two settings are correct and knowing that do any trouble shooting to resolve any other problem that might exist
You need always to know the basics are in order and then proceed with any other trouble shooting issues you may need to sort out

Enjoy

What are advantages to going to thrse more modern cardureators,  what do you accomplish vs the rochester inhave on my car.  Im not touching mi e, as i think car is running just fine,  just curiuos to the reason

The main reason I believe that folks are going to the modern Edelbrock is a lack of resources. If there were stock carburetors readily available, there would not be a need to go with an Edelbrock.

The Edelbrock does have a bigger primary throttle, so there is a slight increase in bottom end performance.

The Edelbrock is much easier to adjust too.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Unknown part, maybe the last one?

Started by Matti Roth in Restoration Discussion 31 minutes ago. 0 Replies

Hithanks to great help from chapter members I am getting my 64 Deville ready, slowly but surely.There is only one part still unclear, or actually three bolts and nuts. They are clearly different from…Continue

1964 THM Tilt Neutral Safety Switch

Started by Charles Fares in For Sale 9 hours ago. 0 Replies

For Sale:Excellent used neutral safety switch for 1964 with THM and tilt steering.  Part number 1993653, or short number "653".  Send me an e-mail: faresmcmthelix@msn.com.Charles FaresLa Mesa,…Continue

You Know You Are Into Some Serious Car Doctor When You Have to Get the Ice Out!

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Charles Fares 9 hours ago. 13 Replies

You know you are into some serious car doctoring when you have to get the ice packs out. More to come on my 64 Coupe de Ville resuscitation in the next 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter!  Mades…Continue

Leaky Windshield

Started by Tom Bahner in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 14 hours ago. 3 Replies

Hey all, has anyone had their windshield removed and resealed successfully. I'm pretty skittish about having someone mess with my perfectly good glass knowing that these cars are a little different…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 series 62 convertible transmission issue

Posted by Matthew VanDeWater on June 22, 2021 at 3:03pm 1 Comment

Hello I've been restoring a 63 for way to many years. Down to almost done, but have issue with trans linkage, when column in park shift rod 2 inches short. everything original. been trying to find picture of manual rod hooked up from under car to see position of linkage. was wondering if anybody has access for pictures. I wanted to see if my manual linkage is bent  wrong out of the trans if somebody dropped the trans or something. Doesn't make sense why it doesn't work. Thanks for any input…

Continue

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service