I am gathering up some stuff to put away for the potential trip home in oct/nov from MT to MS in the 63 cdv.

i thought a fuel pump may be a good piece to have nearby,  Are the newer ones like you can get at rock auto reliable and do they fit as they should or are original pumps around and a better bet/   Jason or Russ?   

Thanks,, 

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never had any issue with the original or new aftermarket or rebuilt original style, but have heard there have been issues with some of the newer or rebuilt ones. Russ reported he had seen where they had not staked the valves in place, causing them to come apart and stop pumping. I have found the best new aftermarket pump, which looks like the original style fuel pump is the Spectra Premium B1297MP fuel pump. For years I kept a stock of new ones but the supply run out. AutoZone lists them now for about $70 but when you go to check out they are out of stock. The other new fuel pump I have seen in the last few years has been the Airtex 6744 Fuel Pump. I have not experience with this fuel pump but believe it may be the one others have had issues with the valve not being staked.

For years there were new single uni-body pumps available at auto parts stores like the one seen on the right in picture below that did not come apart. I also had not issue with those. 
If you want good used from known running engines, I sell the original style like seen on the left for $40 and the unibody style like on the right for $20.  

I put a new Airtex pump on my 63, it worked well for 15k miles until the inlet valve fell out of the pump body. The valve was not staked in, just a press fit causing the failure. If you buy the Airtex pump, take the bottom cover off to see if the valve is just pressed in. If so, stake it with a punch so it won't fall out. 

ok, thanks for the information,,,helps me out making a decision

Spectra Premium SP1297MP Mechanical Fuel Pump for 85:86 USD.

Not sure if its the same B1297MP Jason suggest.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

1964 Interior AC/Heater Box Removal

Started by Travis in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Travis 11 minutes ago. 4 Replies

Newby question here!  I've read through the shop manual and as many threads as I could find on here, but I'm still stumped on exactly how to remove the interior plastic Heater/AC box from my 64 SDV…Continue

Tags: vacuum, mode, door, box, a/c

Burning Rubber

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 19 minutes ago. 0 Replies

Out of curiosity,, is the 63 64 engine capable of burning rubber off of a stop light?   Not a hold the brake and rev up and release, but from a stop, to burn rubber power?I know mine wont because i…Continue

Ordering Polyurethane Replacement Trailing Arm Bushings

Started by Dan McNarry in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 8 hours ago. 2 Replies

There seems to be growing interest in the poly bushings. In order for me to keep track of who wants bushings, please send me a message along with or in lieu of a reply to either this thread or the…Continue

bucket seat covers

Started by Joseph Pagliuca in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Bobby Brown 10 hours ago. 3 Replies

looking for leather seat covers for bucket seats In a 1964 Cadillac Eldorado convertibleContinue

Blog Posts

How to sensibly deal with the Corona Virus

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on March 14, 2020 at 5:02pm 6 Comments

https://theamericanscholar.org/covid-19-a-primer/

I found this very helpful, written by a knowledgeable authority in public health. 

Remember, Viruses are not spread by Cadillacs so get out and drive!

Safe & Healthy travels. 

Jeff Kinzler

1963 Eldorado convertible boot

Posted by Les Eastling on February 27, 2020 at 10:33am 1 Comment

I need a used convertible boot for a 63 Cadillac convertible - condition or color is not an issue since it will be used as a pattern for making a new one. One from either a 62 series convertible or an Eldorado would work. I know I am searching for hen's teeth here... but you never know unless you ask!

Looking for 63 Convertible / Coupe rear side trim

Posted by Gene McIlroy on January 24, 2020 at 12:18pm 0 Comments

Want to find a good straight dent free rear side trim for my 1963 Convertible.  I have both sides but they do not match.  Wanting to get them to match.  I am attaching a photo of the two trim sided that I have really wanting the squared off trim if I can get it.  Let's see what you have,…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service