I got my parts in to replace gasket on the 63 cdv oil pump that is leaking.

reading in the manual, it says to remove engine front covers described in 2a.

that is a BUNCH of steps to remove the gasket and the two sets of gears,   or am i over reading that and should i just stick to the disassembly while its on the engine, those 4 cap crews look easy enough access, and proceed to disassemble then reassemble under 5b and 6a  

secondly, i received the PS pump and two new lines.. pump off ok,, pulley off ok,, but those hoses back on the steering column are a real bear,, any suggestion to get those loose, only thing at this point i can see to do is cut the metal piping at at the nut and slide a socket over it,, is there a easier access to pop it loose,,  i have put some nut buster spray in it to sit all night,, see if any easier tomorrow.

Sincerely

Kim

Views: 1998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have been running engine cleaner,, since yesterday,,both mmo and seafood,, well, will get back to it tomorrow,,,  hopefully near the end of the search

Now, is taking off the rocker assembly needed to check the pushrods?? and if so, is that like major surgery or is it just removing those bolts holding that big rod with he rockers on ti and lifting it up,??

Here is what i dont understand.   when i drive, and give gas, the clacking picks up, its louder and more pronounced.  especially taking off at a stop light or giving a heavier amount of acceleration,, then, as the gears shit and pressure leaves the gears or shifting and i reach a cruising speed, whether 35 or 65,, it relents and is either clacking very fast and not as pronounced, or not as much pressure on the engine.,, and if i leave the accelerator completely and just coast,, the clacking is virtually non existent.  that is the condition that i hear when i drive,, its more of a clack than a tick, like smacking two boards flat together, I'm not sure what the "tick" is supposed to sound like,, my interpretation is smacking to 1x4 boards together,, ,,

So at this point, there is no indication that driving around to give the additive a chance to work is gping to do further damage? Iv only driving maybe 3 miles, thinking addition damage may occur.

What I mean by engine oil cleaners is buying a on the shelf cleaner made by a manufacturer.  I do believe that you are NOT suppose to drive the car either, but let it idle and get warmed up.

Given your limited mechanical experience, I would recommend against any home brewed cleaning methods, regardless of how effective they may seem. 

If your stumped and can not find an exhaust leak, then take it to an exhaust shop and let them take a look. 

It is best to let a pro look at the car, until you gain enough experience to safely and correctly troubleshoot a problem.  

i will drive it some more, give the additive a chance to clear if possible,  and then, if not, try the more intensive clean,  as i noted,  the additives haven't been in there long.

Kim, what product did you use for the engine oil flush, and did you drive it? Sounds like you did.  I just watched a vid and did some reading to back up what I thought. You are not suppose to drive the car with engine oil flush in the engine.

Did the engine noises start when you added the engine oil flush?  If so, I hope you did not just ruin your engine and spin a bearing.

MMO and seafoam, that is the extent of additional fluids.   two or three trips around the block,,prbly never got over 35

noise has not changed from beginning,,,,its a loud clack,and it gets louder under engine pressure,,,( acelartion) and at coast virtually non existent till i hit the pedal to pick up some speed..,like i have said,, a worn out log truck, 

DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR ANYMORE! Drain the oil and add the regular oil that you use. Hopefully you did not damage the bearings.  

You mixed products and effectively removed 2 quarts of oil, when you should have only removed 1. The oil has been degraded to the point of not protecting the internal engine parts any longer, and the engine was put under load when you drove it.  Change that oil and say a prayer.

i haven't drained any oil,, probably no more than 8 oz combined has been added.

mmo,, marvel miracle oil

will drain it and get new oil in,, 

thanks,,,

Kim, it is Marvel Mystery Oil. If you have only added 8 oz of MMO and Sea Foam you are fine. MMO recommends running about 20% (1 Qt in a 5 Qt engine) for about 300 miles before changing oil. Here is their FAQ site: http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/faqs/
Seafoam is similar... add to crankcase about 100 to 300 miles before changing oil. If you have already added both, I would run at least 100 miles then change oil.  Engine Flush is entirely different. You add that just as you change the oil. Add to Oil, run engine for a few minutes, drain & change oil.

Mixing products is never good.  Since the rattling started at the addition of the snake oils, my 2 cents is to change the oil.

Trying to diagnose a car problem over the Internet or phone for that matter is damb near impossible. If you've had a back fire you could have exploded your muffler. Hard to tell from a couple thousand miles away but I'm still not sold its a valve train issue. I'm not saying it's not that it's just that it still seams like an exhaust leak to me. Check everything from the engine to the tailpipe in your exhaust. See if you have good push back when you put you hand over the tailpipe. Lots of good advice here but I'd hate to see you tearing into the engine only to find out later it's exhaust related and a whole lot simpler to fix. Eliminate that first then move on to the engine.

i would agree about 2000 mile diagnoses over 480p video, however, its all i have to convey the problem,  and he best description i can give verbally.  and given my inexperience, my initial repairs are always to go the least resistance, to see if the fastest most obvious is fixable.  

My knowledge is just limited.  i hate not knowing why something is not working as opposed to being told what to do just turning screws to replace a part,  i want to know WHY something does what it does, and then, be able to address it.  With the help of all the suggestions, and a trip or two over to google and you tube, and pulling stuff out and seeing it work,,, i am learning more of the inner workings of the mechanical engine process.  I certainly want to do the easiest repair first,, but want also to know, if i have to go further in to things, why i have to go there.

i have plenty of options for the weekend,, from exhaust system search,, wood hammer on the rockers feeling for clic,s, more cleaning and oil changing items... so I will be busy searching for the answer,, 

thanks again for all the replies and suggestions, I am getting there...

Sincerely

kim

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Transmission questions

Started by James Fraschieri in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin yesterday. 8 Replies

Hello all. New member and new to classic cadillacs so I have some questions. Last year I got my hands on a resto-mod 63 coupe deville project and have been making good progress till now. I don't have…Continue

Sneak Peak at our Next Newsletter Feature - Roy Brosi's 1963 Convertible & 1964 Airstream

Started by Jason Edge in Newsletters. Last reply by Dennis P. DiBari on Thursday. 1 Reply

I have been slowly plugging away at our next newsletter which will feature Roy Brosi's 1963 Convertible and his 1964 Airstream Camper and thought I would give you all a "Sneak Peek" at our next…Continue

WTS 1964 Sedan Deville w/all options 20k

Started by Tim in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by C. Van Tune on Thursday. 2 Replies

1964 Sedan Deville with the original 429 engine and TH400 transmission. Engine has approximately 91k miles on the odometer and runs very well. I've replaced the plugs with NOS AC44 plugs, replaced…Continue

Show Your Vintage, Antique or Personalized License Plate!

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by C. Van Tune on Thursday. 4 Replies

I recently brought in an original, unrestored 1963 Indiana license plate…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service