Cadillac Used a 1964 Cadillac at least 3 Times in 1966 Advertising

I have started to dig thru some of my 63/64 Cadillac Ads and organize a bit and noticed that Cadillac used the 1964 Cadillac at Least 3 times in 1966. The would often show a prior year Cadillac in their advertising but interesting that the 64 made its way onto at least 3 1966 ads.  There is also a 1963 ad shown in the background of a 1965 ad, and also a 64 and 62 shown in a 1965 ad.  Again, it was common practiced but done a lot in 1966 using the 64 in the background.  There were of course several reasons for using prior year Cadillacs in their ads. 

Here are the three 1966 ads showing the 1964 Cadillac in background. Let me know if you all know of more.

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason, great comparison. I remember those ads.

I wonder if that yellow SdV in the first two ads is the same car.

Would make sense. Ad agency shoot over the course of several weeks. ("Where's a clean '64 for us to use? Plenty of new '66s to choose from. Let the art director decide.") 

Or, just change the car color at the color separator/press.  Again, ask the art director. 

BTW #1:  I sure like the more-crisp roofline of the '64s, compared to 1966s. 

BTW #2:  In the top ad, someone decided to make it appear that the 64 SdV's front parking lights are on, along with the high beams. I'd bet that came about because of glare from the light(s) directed at the front of the car made the parking lights glow a bit amber.  But, whatever the genesis, it's certainly been augmented to appear like actual Illuminated lights.   

BTW #3:  Regarding fender skirts, I never noticed this before, but the parting line from the top of the fender skirt to the fender itself is less obvious on the '66. The top cut is immediately under the side-trim strip, rather than a couple of inches below as on the '64.  The little things do count.

So, I just found a 4th ad with a 66 in the foreground and a 64 in the background. Check it out:

It was common to have a current year Cadillac Ad or two featuring a prior year Cadillac, but four ads seems like a lot! 

Here is a 1965 Cadillac ad with a 1963 in the background: 

Here is a 1965 Cadillac Ad showing a 1964 and 1962 Cadillac in the background

And they did the same thing in 63 and 64. Here is an example of a 1964 Cadillac Ad showing a 1960, 1962 and 1963 Cadillac in the background!

Just fyi, I have been considering how to break up the many Cadillac Ads and Scans I have on file and include in upcoming Chapter newsletters and think I will do a "Looking Back" segment on the ads with other year Cadillacs in them spanning the 63's and 64's ... might even see this in the next newsletter. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Headed to Birmingham Tomorrow!

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion 8 hours ago. 0 Replies

I have been quiet lately, and just wanted to jump in an chat a minute. I have back to back visits to potential CLC  Winter Board and Grand National Sites, not to mention I have been pushing to get…Continue

On Busy Day Yesterday!

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion 8 hours ago. 0 Replies

Very busy day working the parts cars yesterday, pulling engine and transmission out parts car #59, getting parts car #60 off the car hauler, then parts car back up on car hauler for final…Continue

Replacement 63 Radiator Recommendations

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Matti Roth on Tuesday. 1 Reply

My 61 year old radiator sprung a leak (actually a few leaks). What are you guys using as replacements? Are you replacing with copper or aluminum? How many rows are you running in the radiator? How's…Continue

T-3 low beam headlight

Started by Jeff Donaldson in Wanted to Buy on Monday. 0 Replies

Hi,I need one T-3 low beam headlight if anyone has a spare they would like to sell.CheersJeffContinue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service